Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Muck

Custom Skates

I'm thinking the 609 may be up your alley. Most skates used to kill my arch, but the 609 seemed to work out well as it's flatter and deeper than most other boots.

Guest Muck

Thanks for all of the input, fellas. I'm going to try out a few models. I do have another question. My 705s don't hurt until I actually skate. How will I know if the next one will work be it 8090, one90, or 709?

Not to already mention what everyone has already talked about but I would check these issues first

Check the length of the skate and make sure the fit is correct, a skate that is to big will not allow your arch to sit in the correct place in the skate which will be causing you some discomfort

Correct width

Make sure you have the correct volume fitting skate,

If you currently have a graf 705 skate, if you have the maroon insole you will notice that i has a higher arch then the black graf insole.

ALso if you pull the insole out you will see the midsole has a elevated area in the arch. If you arch is a little on the lower side this might be causing discomfort. One option would be to shave the insole down in the arch area, this will lower it and might fix the problem (2) if you cut the raised part of the midsole out, this will also lower the arch and might resolve the problem.

Keep in mind graf custom skates will still come with the raised midsole in the arch area unless you ask them to cut it out from the factory.

I have high arches and have the same problem with my left foot, it is a bit weaker because of previous injuries. I went to Graf 705 in wide thinking that it will help. At first it didn't because these are very stiff and also needed to build strength in the arch. It took a while to break them in and now there is very little pain. I do need more support and will go get some Super Feet. Even though these are heat formable skates, they do need to be worked in as feet when relaxed are in a different shape than when skating. Get the right width skate with good supporting insole and tough it out a while longer.

Guest Muck

Thanks for your input, fellas. I thought I might post some pictures, my interpretation of my feet may be off. At the widest part of my foot, it measures 4.75" (from inside to outside of foot, aerial view), from the toe to the high point of my arch (on the flat surface) is 6", and my foot length is 11 inches. From the floor to the high point on my arch is 1". I'll link so my feet aren't all over this page, hope this doesn't gross anyone out:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

youve got quite alot of girth, the 8090 would work well for you but id reccoment the D width cause your heels dont look too to wide and any type of pressure can be taken away with stretching and heating.

Guest Muck

Girth? :lol:

I'd say yes, 6'4", 275-280 lbs. Played football my entire life through college, then played after for a little bit. Minor League ball, 3 time All-American. It's interesting to have this challenge and to learn from what will be essentially "scratch." My wife told me no more football, hockey is o.k. She's so serious I turned down a contract for a small arena team (not AFL1, it was AFL2). No big deal, it was too much of a commitment for the money they offered. So here I am, 23 years or so after I last skated routinely trying to get into this great sport.

That's a moderate arch? I'd say that's pretty flat, but I'm not foot expert. If that's moderate then mines an extremely high arch and I thought mine was pretty moderate. Anyways, I agree with the Graf 609/709 but I don't know how the arch will do for you. I think it's a high arch in the skate and that doesn't appear it would go too well with your foot. I'd give them a try with the Shock Doctor Arch Adjust insoles.

Muck

You have a solid foot, high instep, thick heel/ankle area. 709 or any other high volume fitting skate will work. 8090 etc, personally a 705 skate does not have enough volume to fit your foot.

Have you been measured for width? Keep in mind that a wide graf skate comes with a larger toecap then a regular width graf skate with the same length. Also the 709 comes in X-wide also.

Do you have to buy online or can you go to your LHS and get properly fitted

Guest Muck

I'm not sure you can tell by the photo but the arch is about an inch off of the ground at the highest point. I can stick my fingers between my foot and the floor and touch just inside (short) of midfoot. That may be flat, I'm not sure. Never really had to worry about it. How do I go about getting the arch taken down in the skate if that's what I need?

Forgot to mention the arch, personally it looks a little low, but not too bad. I would try it with stock graf insoles, if this doesn't work then I would shave the arch down in the graf insole and see if this relieve the pair, you can refer to my reply yesterday for a better description

Guest Muck

PJF, my LHS has limited stock (no 8090s or 709s). I'd like to order through them, they say a custom would take 4-6 months. The gentlemen there have helped me a ton (I think they're losing patience, I would have kicked my ass a month ago) and put me in a Reebok 5K 9.5D, and it felt better but not bearable yet.

Edit: The skate length is good, feathering the tip.

Edited by Muck

What did they measure your foot @ for width. D/E/EE ? 5K is not enough of a volume fitter for your foot. Keep in mind i don't think you need a custom skate. A 709 or 8090 will work you just need to possible lower the arch in your skate

Guest Muck

I was told it's right on the edge of E and EE. I was going to order the 709 W through Cyclone Taylor, but they said 2 weeks. I'm trying to find somewhere else that has them in stock in a 10W. You know, PJF, the more I look at my arches in a natural position (with pressure on them, standing/walking) I think they are in between flat and moderate. So in turn, what you said about the arches would be a great possibility.

I think if you order a pair of 709 wides, and have the arch shaved on the insole, you will be very happy. Where about's do you live.

Guest Muck

Central Ohio, Columbus.

Edit: Do you know anyone who might know how to do this and who might be able to get them to me within a week or so? Would a flatter foot result in severe burning pain in the arch of a common skate? I can say, the pain isn't there much when I just wear the skates, but when I actually take the ice I can feel it quickly (3-4 minutes).

Edited by Muck

muck if youre in columbus and can afford to take a saturday off and make the drive to detroit im sure there are some people around here, including myself, willing to help you find some skates at one of the numerous LHS' or big stores, heck Canada is right here too

Edited by warrior37

PJF, my LHS has limited stock (no 8090s or 709s). I'd like to order through them, they say a custom would take 4-6 months. The gentlemen there has helped me a ton (I think they're losing patience, I would have kicked my ass a month ago)

That's golden. I laughed for about 10 minutes after that one.

Anyways, I'd at least find somewhere to try them on before getting customs because you'll be dropping a fat wad of cash for somethin you're not even positive you'll like.

Guest Muck

Sweet. I really appreciate all of your help. I know JR has helped me a ton with volume issues, and PJF has as well. One thing I'll say about the hockey community that wasn't so in football- the people are genuinely interested in helping one another. I'll let you all know how it turned out.

Guest Muck

Paul, got your skates today, I'm going to try to skate tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.