Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

captainnifty

MOC Bearings

So, I'm surfing the hockey stores and I run across these:

Insert bearing link here

From the reading they sound like really nice $80 bearings, and the scientific logic sounds pretty neat, but before I entertain the posibililty of moving on from the good ol' swiss, I was wondering what you "seasoned hockey enthusiasts" thought.

(other text removed due to further enlightenment)

ya i was looking at those as well cause i've heard nothing but good things from people here about those bearings.

i would also look into some swiss super 7 bearings if i were you. they are around the same price if you go through ebay and everyone who has been using them is also raving about them.

Guys, i absoultley love my MOC 9 bearings. They're fantastic. I haven't used BSB Swiss before, so it's hard to compare, but you defintiley won't be disappointed by these.

As much as i hate to ever turn someone away from Epuck, as they are a fantastic online store (customer service is top notch), i also know we're all looking for the best deal possible. I ordered my bearings from:

www.A1Skateboards.com

total cost was $72 which included shipping. So you may want to check them out. They shipped my order the same day i placed it, so their service is pretty quick as well.

Is that $31.99 for a set of MOC 9's, or am I looking at the wrong thing?

it's only for 4 wheels worth, since that's a complete skateboard. You'd have to order two sets.

They don't mention the word 'hockey' anywhere on their website (www.oustbearings.com) so why do you guys think these bearings are specially designed for hockey?

Let me know...

Tim

I swear i thought that i read somewhere, maybe a year ago, that the Oust bearings were designed for hockey. But you're right, the website doesn't say it. But they do talk about the side and dynamic loads of certain skateboard moves:

Unlike the common 608 bearings that are presently being used in the skateboarding industry which only require a radial load roll-out, OUST Inc. has designed a hybrid bearing which meet all the criteria for Static, Dynamic and Impact loads as well as bearing misalignment caused by torque.

These are side loads associated with carving, powerslides, pumping and technical skating. The OUST MOC  Series bearings are the FIRST and only bearing manufactured for skateboarding that achieve a matched coefficient of friction between radial load roll-out and tortional load roll  out.

Basically, they are designed more for the rigors of skating than just as an industrial bearing with custom shields. I know Bones bearings are developed/marketed the same way. Here's an excerpt:

ABEC vs. Skate Ratedâ„¢

By George A. Powell

We are often asked, “What ABEC rating are your bearings?†The answer is that “Bones Bearings are Skate Ratedâ„¢ not ABEC rated.â€

Bones Bearings are the skate industry leader and favorite choice of professional skaters, and have been since their development in 1983. During the past 18 years, Bones Swiss have become legendary because of their superior speed quality, and longevity. Even though Bones Swiss are the top rated bearing in skating, we don’t give them an ABEC rating. There is a good reason for this... thank you for asking.

The ABEC rating system has been around for the last 35 years. The purpose of the ABEC committee (Annular Bearing Engineers Committee) is not to test every manufacturer’s bearings and proclaim them good or bad, but to establish dimensions, tolerances, geometry, and noise standards for bearings in an attempt to aid industrial bearing manufacturers and users in the production, comparison and selection of bearings for general applications. However, since every bearing is used in a different manner and environment, bearings should be redesigned or “customized†for special uses (like skating). The ABEC rating system is not intended to be the only criteria used for selecting bearings for use in specialized applications like skating. It is only one of the tools a bearing designer can use if it is appropriate for the application.

The ABEC rating system includes grades 1,3,5,7, and 9. The higher the ABEC rating, the tighter the tolerances are, making the bearing a more precision part. High precision and small tolerances are required for bearings to function at very high RPM, in products like high speed routers that must spin at 20 to 30,000 RPM. In an application like this, an ABEC - 7 or 9 bearing rating may be appropriate. However, a skateboard with 54mm wheels turning 20,000 RPM will be traveling about 127 MPH! Since virtually all skating is done under 30 MPH, the realistic maximum RPM your skate bearings will see is about 4700 RPM and probably 90% of skating occurs under 2000 RPM. Thus, very high precision is not required at skating speeds.

The dimentions and tolerances controlled by the ABEC standards include the diameters and widths of the raceways, their shapes to some extent and the smoothness of the running surfaces. The ABEC rating system ignores side loading, impact resistance, materials selection and grade, appropriateness of lubrication, ball retainer type, grade of ball, the clearance between the balls and the races, installation requirements, and the need for maintenance and cleaning. All these bearing design requirements are very important to the performance of your skate bearing, even though the ABEC rating says nothing about them.

From our testing of bearings and our 18 years of experience designing bearings for skating, we know that there can be a HUGE difference between the performance of two bearings that both have the same ABEC rating. Indeed, we have found that in many cases, bearings with high ABEC ratings don’t perform as well as others with lower ABEC ratings in a skate wheel. Thus, reliance on ABEC ratings alone can lead skaters and dealers to choose a bad bearing for skating over a good bearing for skating. That is why we don’t use the ABEC rating system at all. In essence, the ABEC rating is irrelevant to the performance of a skate bearing when it is used as the sole criteria for selection.

To explain this another way, choosing an ABEC-7 or 9 bearing for skating would be like choosing an Indy car to race in the “Baja 500†because Indy cars can go fast and are of high precision. It isn’t that the Indy car isn’t a good piece of equipment, just that it is not designed for off road use and so it would quickly fail when its suspension breaks and its engine clogs with dirt.

Bones Bearings out perform all other bearings because we went to the trouble to skate rate Bones Swissâ„¢ and Bones REDSâ„¢, not just select an ABEC rated industrial bearing and put a customized plastic shield on it. Bones have been completely redesigned for skating from the ground up and are built to Bones specifications that include Skate Rated components, lubricants, tolerances and clearances.

Bones’ component parts are engineered and tested to withstand the high impacts of hard landings, the high side loads of turning, and (to the extent possible) the dirt of skate environments. As a result, Bones roll faster and last longer than other bearings. To merely give Bones an ABEC rating would be to ignore all the improvements we have engineered into Bones and the resulting difference between Bones and standard ABEC rated bearings. Since there is no appropriate ABEC rating that will reflect the superior quality of Bones Bearings, we have given them their own rating, Skate Rating, to let you know that Bones are special and made just for skaters like you, not for electric motors.

— George Powell

Now the same stuff could probably apply to the Oust development, and they are just throwing the ABEC numbers on there for a sense of familiarity when people shop them.

I wasn't saying that they make bad bearings and I absolutely hate ABEC dependent cosumers ('No, I need a higher ABEC...'), but they got pictured as a hockey related company, which they aren't. That's all.

I wasn't saying that they make bad bearings and I absolutely hate ABEC dependent cosumers ('No, I need a higher ABEC...'), but they got pictured as a hockey related company, which they aren't. That's all.

Wasn't trying to show you up or anything, just saying that's probably the same marketing pitch they use, and you can choose whatever specialty you want when talking about them. Looking at Oust's site, they are saying the bearings are designed for skateboarding, but alot of the same principles will apply for durability, sideloading, etc., so you could make a case for skateboarding, hockey, speed skating and aggressive skating.

THanks for that post, sd.

It was very informative. I couldn't find that kind of information anywhere I looked for some reason. It's nice to know that I might not be the only one to say that the difference in ABEC ratings for skaters is primarily in their head. I remember kicking many an ass using abec 3's that sported all stainless steel parts, as opposed to people bragging about their Killer Bee ABEC 7's. I also remember getting schooled by a dude with ABEC 1's a while back as well. THere was a skill factor involved, but that's beside the point...

im still waiting for someone to come out with bearings that dont constantly fill up with dirt or anything else and hardly ever need to be cleaned.

somehow i think it might be a while..

maybe Ron Popeil will invent them :P

They don't mention the word 'hockey' anywhere on their website (www.oustbearings.com) so why do you guys think these bearings are specially designed for hockey?

Let me know...

Tim

Just curious if you read the e-puck description of the product. They may not be necessarily designed for hockey, however they are designed to laterally (side loaded) roll just as well as they are straight line.....so they may not be specificaly designed for hockey and hockey only, however they seem more beneficial than the bearings we are using that are not made to roll at peak performance under side load.

anyone use the moc 5's? thats a pretty decent price, and ive never been hung up on abec 7's or 9's - like the previous article quoted those arent necesarily designed for hockey. i always though 5's were fine, and im a heavy guy so im not sure 7's or 9's were ever for me. anyway, just looking for feedback if anyone had tried these and how they compared to anyone else's abec 5's.

Just wanted to bump this topic to see if anyone else had tried these out, particularly those who have used both MOC and Swiss bearings. I'm thinking about picking up a set of these.

Haven't used the MOC's, but I've been trying out these skateboard designed bearings for about three months and have been very pleased with the performance.

Rockn' Ron's Rockets

I know some of the Bones bearings are starting to incorporate the "labryinth" seal technology. Have been using these on Blue Maxs for both indoor (sport & ice court) and outdoor (covered ice court) and they keep out dirt much better than the BSB Swiss that I was using. Performance wise, I would rank them right up with the Swiss, probably a little better.

Hmm...these look pretty solid. Wish I knew about them yesterday........I ended up buying a set of Bones Super Swiss 6.