Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SouthPaw

Goalie Wheels

:rolleyes: Hey, never used actual goalie wheels for inline, always used player skates withy player wheels. Now, i'm in no financial position to buy goalie skates, so would it be worth it to put goalie wheels on player skates (specifically hi-lo chasis).

I guess what I cant decide, is if youd rather have grippy wheels or less grippy. Any opinions/ experiences?

you really should... it'll be easier to push off when your down cause you don't have to lift your leg as much and with the smaller wheels it lowers the pads at the bottom which means with low shots that might sometimes sneak by.

I don't know if that would be a problem with the size of a player's chassis and the small size of goalie wheels. What my friend did was he bought a pair of aggressive skates- they already had the small wheels and the small chassis.

My friend is looking to play goalie on some 5500s that he has. I was thinking of getting him onto either a 59mm/66mm or 59/68 setup on the hi-lo - but will those wheels fit? I also noticed these CCM Sure Grip 4 wheel chassis: http://www.rollerhockeymonkey.com/suregripchas.html

Are those okay for goalies? Do 59mm wheels fit on them?

And would playing with a harder wheel be better, since it allows him to slide more, or a softer wheel be better?

There are some goalies out there that are using the old model Sprungs with goalie wheels. Because they're not rigid like reg frames, your balance and agility are greatly improved. I keep wondering how they are liking them, as none seem to have posted.

The new model can take 100 mph shots with no damage, so the durability is no longer an issue. Until we make an actual goalie frame, the new model with goalie wheels is probably the best thing out there.

I know this is a wheel thread, but it's what the wheels are attached to as much as the wheels themselves that provide performance. Regardless of the fame, shorter wheels are more stable and agile than tall ones because they reduce the leverage on your ankles.

When I first started in this, I had my aluminum aggro prototypes (made to have plastic armor attached each side) mounted to a pair of K2 Backyard Bobs with the hard cuffs removed. They were a favorite with Great Lakes area goalies that used them, who thought they were the best goalie skates they had ever used in their lives.

I also chopped the sides on some Fiziks frames so they would have clearance and mounted them on some CCM goalie boots. Those were stolen (misplaced in someone's bag?)quite a while ago, so I don't know how successful they were. I hope they're at least getting used!

So you ARE making a spruing goalie frame? most EXCELLENT!

It's not in the immediate schedule, but yes. And it'll be with the help of, IMHO, the best roller hockey goalie on earth.