Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

evor1

hockey stops

is there any "proper" technique for them. i can do them pretty good but i just do it. i never really learned any proper way.

I think there are at least 3 ways to do hockey stops.

For turns facing left:

(i) Starting with the outside edge of the left skate, wait until the body rotates left a bit, then sit down while pushing out with the inside edge of the right skate. Viewed from the top, the skates are angled back from the direction of movement,

and the skid marks look like

\ /

| /

|

(ii) Starting with the outside edge of the right skate, then lifting the left skate and placing it in the "proper" leading / left position. I think this stop is done by skaters who learned snowplough stops first.

(iii) "Jumping" in the air, rotating the body, and landing with the left skate slightly leading and the right skate more to the right. I think John Wild used to advocate this stop.

i'm having problems stopping with the inside edge, is there something i could do to practice? i can only stop with the leading side/leg, so for instance, if i try to make a stop and face left, i have no problems diggin into the ice with my left outside edge, but i can't seem to bring the inside right edge into play to make the stop more solid....

i'm having problems stopping with the inside edge, is there something i could do to practice? i can only stop with the leading side/leg, so for instance, if i try to make a stop and face left, i have no problems diggin into the ice with my left outside edge, but i can't seem to bring the inside right edge into play to make the stop more solid....

When I'm teaching the young hockey players (7-11 yrs old), I have them move the foot back until the knee is over the ball of the foot. Then the weight is on the rounder part of the outside edge, and it skids / shaves instead of turning.

It's also easier with a shallower hollow (larger radius) sharpening.

I practice by doing T-stops on the trailing (outside edge) skate only.

if you cant do T stops...start off going slow...(its kind of like an opposite of a snow plow stop..using ur inside edges instead of outside) each couple of feet work on stopping on your inside edge so you would try to do a 2 foot stop just the lead foot would stay so you have to force yourself to stop with that back foot on the inside edge..its kind of hard to explain but thats how i learned...when you get comfortable with that start using both feet workin both edges...if u cant figure that out work your edges..practice some inside edge work(power skating stuff)

I can't use my left outside edge when stopping facing to the left, so my left stops are all right inside edge, for some reason I can do it fine to the right, I can even do the stop facing right balancing on only my right skate (outside edge) but for some reason can't do it to the left no matter what, I guess its a bad habbit that I formed when I was younger and never bothered to correct.

A lot of the young ones can't stop on a particular side, so we get them to put the knob of their stick on the top of the ball of the weaker side's skate, lean on the stick blade, and scrape across the ice sideways. This is for the inside edges. It gives them the feel and muscle memory for the stop.

You can do the same kind of thing with the outside edges, but you need a partner to push your trailing skate with the stick as you glide with the other skate in a T-stop position. You have to make sure that your trailing skate is on its outside edge.

Or, you can put your outside-edge skate in front while you glide on the other skate, and just barely scrape the ice. If you do it properly, the scraping will pull you into a very gentle turn.

Or, as millertime99 says, just keep trying the T-stops until they happen. That's how I learned them.