Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whip

What effects your shot more?

I play ball hockey and I am looking for a curve that keeps the ball low, I am trying to decide on a new pattern so I need to know what effects the height of your shots more? How big the curve is (slight, moderate,deep) or the Loft of the curve (closed,slighty open,open,very open) and does the type of curve determine if the shot is low(heel,mid,toe)?

No matter which curve..(although more loft on the "open curves" will certainly get your shot "up") try turning your blade "down" at the finish of the shot. If taking a slap shot, come in with the toe pointed more flat than open, let the floor/ice contact torque open the blade as well as flex the shaft,(hold on tight) and when you release, keep the toe of the blade pointing as forward as possible by rolling your hand forward. This will help both in reducing the loft of the shot, as well as adding more velocity.

So many young kids when learning to shoot the ball in roller hockey are so desparate to show they can "lift the puck", that they end up using their stick like a 9 iron golfing the ball into the air. This habit can affect their shooting technique for years to come. (Not inferring that is your problem..but I have seen it a lot)

Even when shown the correct shooting technique later on, they tend to position the ball or the puck too far forward for slap shots or start with the puck too far forward for wrist shots..inhibiting their ability to develop good velocity.

We have all gone through being in love with that booming sound as your shot ricochets off the glass...some never get over it and are still in love with "loft". Glad to see you have come to your senses..... :lol:

Both loft and curve size will affect your ability to keep your shots down. If you have a lot of loft or a big curve then you shots will have a tendency to go higher. However, if you have good shooting technique then you should be able to keep your shots down.

Both loft and curve size will affect your ability to keep your shots down.  If you have a lot of loft or a big curve then you shots will have a tendency to go higher.  However, if you have good shooting technique then you should be able to keep your shots down.

True but, I think a curve with alot of loft gets under a ball more easily than a puck so you may not want/need a curve as open as you'd use on the ice.

Iam thinking about a sherwood woody 9050, the one with fiberglass reinforcemnet that everybody seems to like. The only curve it comes in is a Coffey, which is huge, but I dont mind it, the thing is I play ball hockey and the curve is a BIG mid closed curve. Will the fact that it is a BIG mid raise the ball or is it loft that determens height?

i would recomend a modano. has little "under curve"

I like the Modano for just those reasons...with low to moderate mid/heel curve, and almost no loft, the Modano has decent puck control and retention on the blade(during the shot), but lets the shooter, not the blade, decide the height of the shot more than the exagerated curves. Some people obviously feel they are more effective with other curves, but the Modano is one of the most neutral..allowing you to be proficient with a wider variety of shot types.