Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sn1per

Diving

Hey guys, not sure if this topic has been started before. But last night, my team faced off against the Canadian men's diving team and this whole team's gameplan was to dive dive dive. Was so bullshit and they got away with it. Dirtiest team ever with no honor. We were tied 2-2 and one of their forwards was walking in all alone, so I rushed from behind and slapped the puck away with my stick, no contact with the guy whatsoever, and he dove like he was going for an olympic gold and he should have won an oscar for that performance. I got a hooking penalty which led them to score a pp and we lost 3-2. Second time, behind their net, one of their players started spearing me, so I cross checked him and he went flying. There's no way a guy like me who weighs only 170lbs could have knocked a guy 20lbs heavier than me that far. I'd have to be like his weight and going full tilt. How do you guys stop the other team from diving? One way I figure is just knock the shit out of them. If they're going to go down like pansies, might as well give them some pain, the call's the same anyways.

Not that I condone cheapshoting guys but if you're going to do the time you might as well do the crime ;) you could always talk to the league manager, since talking to refs often times is seen as complaining, maybe he could send out a message to the league or something. Diving kind of takes the fun out of it so it sucks to play teams like that, I played against a diver last night so I feel your pain.

sometimes, if you actually TALK to the ref and tell him whats going on they will listen. Most of them are good guys just trying to do their job, but they make a call you dont agree with and people go ape shit on them. Try just talking to the guy either between face offs or after a period, tell him whats going on. If you are flipping out on your way to the box, they wont listen to you tho.

The other way to deal with a diving team, is to play a puck posession game. Slow things down and keep the puck from them. you cant draw diving penalties when you are playing defense all the time. When you dont have the puck or are forced to turn it over, dump it deep and knock the hell out of them when they get to it.

the only other thing is to make sure you dont put your self in a position to get a diving call against you. Dont do anything that could lead to him flopping around like a fish, keep good position and dont put a stick on a guy unless you can see his chest. thats about all I can think of right now.

I think that there are two pieces to this equation, the players and the way the game is going to be called. Here are some suggestions:

- Keep away from situations that are going to get you called. This is hard and really takes away from the game

- Pick a non-confrontational time, ie: Between periods etc, and talk to the referee. Explain to him that your team feels is if the other team is playing pretty soft and ask what your team can do to make it clear that the other team is diving as you feel they are doing. The ref may take it under advisement and also provide you suggestions on what can be done.

One of the real problems that occurs is fustration levels will increase and you will start taking undisciplined penalties which looks bad all around.

-dave