Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

Can someone recommend a pair of decent but cheap

OK, I got a pair of nike ignite LX skates a while back, and have been skating on the wheels that came with them. They are fine for skating round the tennis court here to practice, but I want to start skating from my metro station to work (about one mile) once or twice a week.

There is a bike lane, which is smooth tarmac (asphalt), and concrete sidewalks.

I took the skates up to a park here which is tarmac also, and they feel sort of sticky, almost too soft for the tarmac.

So is there a harder wheel that would be better for the road?

I am 6'3'' and about 240ish (with the ish representing up to 10lbs :o )

I don't want to throw a bunch of money at them, so if someone could recommend an economical option, I would be grateful

Thanks, appreciate that. Now, wheel size, is it all personal preference, or are there standards? Like I said, I am a big guy, so would the 80/76 be better for me, or the 76/72, or should I go all one size (or is that goalies only?

Thanks again, sorry if I am asking stupid questions

I assume it's a Hi-Lo chassis, so your only options are either 80/72 or 76/68.

Its 80/76 on, so I assume it's hi-lo chassis, the 80 are 76a and the 76 are 72a

Those would really be indoors I assume. I am new to the inline hockey skates, so know nothing about them. I skate to work on technique and stride etc, but not sure about the actual skates.

Is there a cut of line for indoor/outdoor hardness or is it all preference.

Like I say, these just feel soft and tacky on the tarmac

You've got your numbers a little mixed up. You have a "HiLo" chassis meaning the back is hi and the from is lo. This creates a more ice skate like pitch that most players prefer. The back wheels are 80mm in size while the from are 72mm. The 76 number is your DUROMETER which indicates how hard or soft the wheel is. Your wheels are a traditional indoor/outdoor bordline number of 76a.

It depends on personal preference and weight. Some lighter folks might wear a 76a or 78a on outdoor surfaces and be fine with good grip and wear life... Big guys like you and I are best suited with an 80a and up. I'd go with 82's or 84a and the Hypers that Fury recommended are an excellent choice.

OK, thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it.

FWIW, the boots themselves feel really good, just the wheels feel soft on the tarmac, but I think I got a good deal for $50

I'm also up there in weight (250 plus) and have been using "indoor" wheels on outdoor surfaces for well over a year. While the 80a and 82a durometer wheels last a lot longer, I prefer to go with anywhere from 75a-78a. The wheel that I've used almost consistently until recently were these: Kontack The Kontacks are New Old stock, a discontinued model that has good grip as well as decent durability. For the price they ask, they are well worth it.

Inlinesports has a ton of different wheels in all sizes and hardnesses, and they're all a good deal. They are sold as individual wheels, and are cheaper than most other sites in terms of price. Some of the wheels' prices, however, are incorrectly marked on the site. double check the price on the checkout screen before you finalize the purchase.