Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eazy_b97

What would you Do?

Hey Guys,

I run a mens league roller hockey team for me and my friends. We just finished up our play-offs. Here's the scenario:

There are 3 good teams in my league (we are one of them). We went undefeated all season long with 1 tie, where myself and my 2 best players were working. The tie was against the 3rd place team. We beat the 2nd place team because they screwed up the score and made a mistake (also a game I wasn't at). All in all, we finished the regular season with a 7-0-1 record. The 2nd place team finished 7-1-0, but our final game of the regular season was against eachother. Unfortunately the refs didn't show up, so there's been questions of a make-up game, but never specified. The playoff format is really weird. 6 team league. The top 3 teams play the bottom 3 each once. Tie breaker goes to first place, then +/- for 2nd and 3rd place teams. After our first game we are +10, second game I show up and the 3rd place team is on before us. They are slaughtering a decent team (5th place) and I notice they only have 4 players. One of which is a player on my team who decided to help out. Needless to say, the 5th place team is killed by 10 goals. We have to play the 5th place team this week, we screw up a bit and let up, only win by 6 goals. So we finish with a +20 in 3 games, 2nd place is like +12-15, 3rd place is +22. Now my team also scored 2 more goals that simply weren't counted. Last game we scored a goal, he told the scorekeeper who for whatever reason simply didn't mark it down. In our first game we scored a goal at the end of the half (running time scored with about 8 seconds left) they just decided not to write it down since it was a blow-out. So now, I'm being told I'll have to play a semi-final game against the 2nd best team (who I think is the best in the league) to make it to the finals. Sure, now you're saying who cares beat'em and move on, only problem is the championship game is LITERALLY right afterwards. We're going to have to play a double header. I've sent in a complaint about the disallowed goals, and the 4 player team (which under CIHL rules makes the game a 1-0 default), but both are being shrugged off. We are the youngest team in the league, I am the youngest "GM" in the league.

Should I keep pressing the issue about the 4 players? I don't want to be "one of those guys", but I don't think it's right. Especially since we've gotten screwed on it and the team who hasn't beaten any of the top 2 teams (us or the 2nd) will now get into the finals because of a lucky break.

I'd say you should say nothing and play the semi-final. Either way, if you wanna win the championship, you'll have to beat this team.

Good luck with it Eazy, roller league are so fun but they always turn into those kind of things.

roller league are so fun but they always turn into those kind of things.

I couldn't have said it any better. That is so true for the few different inline leagues where I've played. I'm currently playing in a real bush league where the refs and scorekeepers also play for various teams in the league. The politics and BS that goes on is absolutely ridicuous. There is a lot of sloppy scorekeeping and very questionable officiating depending on which teams are playing and whatnot. My team is the youngest team in the league, and we aren't "locals" so we get the absolute worst treatment.

My advice is to just roll with it. Don't let it get to you because you probably can't make a whole lot of changes in their crappy system. Just go out there and win those games that you need to win.

Since one of your team mates helped out the 3rd place team, I would suggest to them they should help you and reschedule the the time for the Championship game otherwise they wouldn't be in the final without your teammates's help. Or reschedule the semi final game.

If not , just tough it out and win the the whole thing!

My teammate played against the 3rd place team. It helped them out because it counted though, if that's what you are going for.

It's looking more and more like we'll tough it out. I'm not pleased, but am excited at the thought of "running the gauntlet" to win the championship to screw it to everyone who's screwed us. Especially since this 3rd place team has the same jerseys as us (we moved up to Mens league this season) and hasn't gone with the agreement of wearing whites once yet. So we'll force'em to wear it in the ship then take the gold.

We did, first game was a route, second game was close, but never really in danger during the second half.

Obviously it's a "fun" league. Start having some! This stuff happens all the time in rec leagues. Are you a hockey player or a badminton player? Suck it up and go out and hick some butt! :ph34r:

We did, first game was a route, second game was close, but never really in danger during the second half.

Obviously it's a "fun" league. Start having some! This stuff happens all the time in rec leagues. Are you a hockey player or a badminton player? Suck it up and go out and hick some butt! :blink:

This is actually supposed to be a competetive Mens inline league, but the level wasn't where we thought it was. It'd be nice to know where I stand and what I need before the playoffs. Especially when I'm paying a fairly hefty price and there's some decent price money on the line.