Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

althoma1

Fall/Winter Rollerhockey in Toronto?

This year my rollerhockey season felt extremly short because I was off 3 weeks with a hamstring injury sustained playing softball. The summer season is now over and while I'm currently finishing up my summer ice league and the winter ice league starts soon I don't really want to wait until May to play organized roller again, but I don't know of any leagues that run in the Fall/Winter in Toronto. When I lived in London, Ontario there was a Winter league there that I played in for a few years, but I haven't found one in Toronto.

I've checked the websites for York Inline (where I played this summer), Toronto Inline (where I've played other years before they raised their price to more than the price of York Inline when they use cement when the York league has Sport Court), and Greater Toronto Inline (which I played 4 seasons ago when they played out of the closest rink to my place), but none of them have anything listed for Fall or Winter. I emailed the guy who runs the York league, but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone know of a Fall (preferably) or Winter (don't really want to wait that long) league in the GTA? I'm in Don Mills near the DVP and Eglinton so would prefer something in the city, but am willing to play anywhere within a 30 minute drive.

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but have you ever considered playing in a ball hockey league during the winter? The thing is as you may already know, most arenas in the Greater Toronto Area are likely going to be flooded by late September if not sooner, as an ice rink without ice in the winter is simply not profitable. Your best bet for inline hockey in the GTA is probably York Inline, I remember reading on their site in April about how they had a small league going last year. If that doesn't work out, go check out the York Central Ball Hockey League website <www.ycbhl.com>. The YCBHL runs multiple ball hockey league locations year round. I don't have hands on experience with this league, but my friend has played in their summer league for the past three of four summers and well the registration fee is pretty decent compared to inline hockey leagues.

OK, I'll keep checking with York Inline, the guys on my summer team mentioned they ran a league last year, but so far no information has been posted for a winter league and the league hasn't responded to my email (could be on vacation after finishing up the season).

I played ball hockey one winter when asked by a friend, but frankly I didn't like it nearly as much as ice or roller - I really like the skating aspect of the game and being able to get from one end to the other with realative ease...sure I can run alright, but it takes so much more effort and I can't run nearly as fast as I can skate. I don't mind pick up ball hockey with friends (although I always try to talk them into strapping on some blades, but not all of my friends have blades), but I don't think I'd want to sign up for a regular ball hockey league again. I'll have one regular ice hockey beer league game a week plus there are usually at least two regular pick up ice games I know I can go to so it's not like there will be a lack of ice hockey for me in the winter...I was just hoping to get some more indoor roller hockey in and don't feel like waiting until next May, but if I must wait then I will.