Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

number21

Lace bite?

I just got some new skates and skated in them for the first time. I'm feeling some bite, will it go away once the skates are broken in? Or should i start adjusting how tight i tie them?

Thanks!

I have been browsing around here for a couple of days. Tons of great info here! Especially to a beginner like me.

I have been skating in my skates since the start of the year and still get marks from lace bite. It just depends on what you feel like when you skate. The tighter the laces are at the top then the more chance of lace bite you will get becuase your ankle will be wanting to move foward and putting alot of pressure on that point. I have found that as I have gotten better at skating I have liked a tighter boot. I used to like having a loose boot (which probably wasn't to good for the boot). Now the slightest movement of my foot in the boot bugs me.

Great tip I found on here - If it still hurts take a mouse pad and cut out a square to cover the area you need. What I then did was to cut out a hole in the middle of the pad. Essentially that takes the pressure off of the area where the lace bite is happening. I wore 'til it was gone and worked like a charm.

I'm not exactly sure what lace bite is. I've gotten this red line around my ankle when I tied my skates to tight. It hurt really bad and I had to un-tie them. Its not going to restrict you from playing for any amount of time will it?

I'm not exactly sure what lace bite is. I've gotten this red line around my ankle when I tied my skates to tight. It hurt really bad and I had to un-tie them. Its not going to restrict you from playing for any amount of time will it?

Lace bite usually refers to irritation of the tendons on the top of your foot usually caused by tying tour skate too tightly, or just by the form of the tongue itself.It can be extremly painful and can cause serious problems if not dealt with. Usually though, the pain forces you to find a solution. Depending on how painful it is, either molefoam padding of lacebite pads (available over the internet from API hockey) or "Bunga pads" also available over the internet. Sometimes with these pads, there is no down time at all.It is better to catch it early on.