Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aussie Joe

Roller in NYC/Boroughs?

Hey guys, well its just under a month until I complete my pilgrimidge to NY for a month long of touring, eating and purchasing etc. Thankfully I will be catching a Rangers game (v's Florida, centre ice 12 rows from the glass).

Moreso Im looking to keep my wheels rolling whilst in NYC. I will be there 6/12 to 27/12 staying in Brooklyn for the 1st 4 days then off to our apartment in Astoria for the rest of the time.

I was wondering if anyone could hook me up with a training session or inhouse league to have a go at. I generally play indoors on sportcourt or coated cement. No issues playing on any surface, bar ashphelt as I don't have the gear for it (wheels, stick blades etc).

I have tried emailing UShockey but no response so far.... I guess Im looking for someone on the inside to help me out on this one. I would most likely bus or even train it to the rink with my gear in tow as I won't have access to a car.

PS: I was thinking of going Ice seeing as it is Winter but I havn't skated in about 2-3 yrs on the white stuff and can fathom it making my inline game worse by skating only a few times.

will you have a car to travel?

there's not a lot unless you're willing to come to long island. we have 5 or so outdoor free public rink's that pickup games happen at. as well as 2 indoor with open hockey. if you are, let me know & i can let you know where/when the 'regular' pickup games happen. i go to 4-5 a week.

in manhattan there's chelsea peirs, & the only thing i know of near astoria is the ymca. there's also a park at & 28thst & 37thave in astoria.

Any of those pickup games on the south shore of suffolk?

well, there's the rapid fire rink in mastic, but i've only been there for tournaments.

the closest would probably be the browns road rink in smithtown. it's sportcourt.

will you have a car to travel?

there's not a lot unless you're willing to come to long island. we have 5 or so outdoor free public rink's that pickup games happen at. as well as 2 indoor with open hockey. if you are, let me know & i can let you know where/when the 'regular' pickup games happen. i go to 4-5 a week.

in manhattan there's chelsea peirs, & the only thing i know of near astoria is the ymca. there's also a park at & 28thst & 37thave in astoria.

Chelsea Piers' rink has been demolished. they tore it down. good riddance, their league was total bush.

The old YMCA rink in astoria (another defunct league) is asphalt. That's the rink at 28th st. and 37th ave. Still, on saturdays it's the best pick up hockey I've ever played. Unfortunately I work on saturdays now =/

While we're on the subject, I usually play with a group on sunday and wednesday nights At the D-G rink in Whitestone. If anyone's interested, pm me and I'll let you know how to get there.

Sicklife, is that Smithtown rink outdoor?

Chelsea Piers' rink has been demolished. they tore it down. good riddance, their league was total bush.

The old YMCA rink in astoria (another defunct league) is asphalt. That's the rink at 28th st. and 37th ave. Still, on saturdays it's the best pick up hockey I've ever played. Unfortunately I work on saturdays now =/

While we're on the subject, I usually play with a group on sunday and wednesday nights At the D-G rink in Whitestone. If anyone's interested, pm me and I'll let you know how to get there.

Sicklife, is that Smithtown rink outdoor?

yeah, smithtown is outdoors. there's actually 2 rinks within 5 mins of eachother, but one is tiny. it's a little far from me, but i play there sun mornings.

i generally play in massapequa. it's smooth concrete.