Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

CCM Vector 10.0 Elbow Pads

I purchased these about 5 months ago, so i've got some good feedback, and will try to give a side-by-side comparison to the pads they replaced, Easton Z-Air's from 3 years ago.

Comfort/fit: For top-of-the-line elbow pads, these are quite comfortable and fit very well. They do not move once they are on, and i'm going to attribute this to the pull-type lace-up on the forearm piece. It holds nicely to the forearm and never moves during game play (i'm defense, so tons of slapshots). My Z-Air's had a little more mobility in them since they were 3 piece pads, but these are definately not restrictive in terms of freedom of movement. 9 out of 10

Protection: Superb protection! No issues here...... 10 out of 10

Design: The CCM product designers deserve 2 thumbs up with these. Don't be turned off because they are not like your typical Jofa-type pads. The design allows easy on/easy off and great fit for any body type. 10 out of 10

Dave

Edited by djosbun

I've been using Jofa something or the others for the last 10 years. They were a great elbow pad. I don't recall the model number and the numbers have worn off. I'm replacing them because the straps have no stretch anymore and with underarmour or other long sleeve underwear, they slide around too much.

I bought the CCM Vector 10's based off of the reviewer above. Plus HockeyGiant is closing them out and I had found a coupon code for an additional 5%. So all of that brought a top of the line elbow pad down into my budget.

Comfort/fit: Out of bag, these weren't very comfortable. Hopefully, they'll break in over time. But having said that, I didn't notice the slight discomfort once I was on the ice. The fit is perfect though. The forearm section is a sleeve and the draw string is used to cinch it down. They cinched down very snug on my puny forearms. I could actually get them to tight which I've never done with a pad before because my forearms are such twigs. The bicep protection is good and my tiny biceps fit in there fine. The wrist guard is just a sweat band, so it fits fine. 9 out of 10

Protection: NHL Grade protection. My only complaint is that the forewarm protection doesn't go down as far as my jofa's do. But I"m only talking maybe an inch max. The wristband protection is slight but better than nothing....... 9.5 out of 10

Mobility: I had no noticible mobility issues with these pads. They are a bit stiffer than my 10 year old jofas, but they should break in nicely. I'll take that trade off for the top notch protection. 9/10

Design: I'm sick of elbow pads sliding around. Especially from slap shots. These things do not slide around at all. The design is novel but I think people might have taken it to be novelty since the design has changed for 2008? Other than the bicep strap wearing out over time, I can see myself using these for another 10 years. The sleeve concept is great and combined with the draw string, eliminates straps losing stretch and velcro losing grip. The sweat band wrist guard is connected by a tag and is meant to be cut off and a separate piece. I'm leaving mine connected, though. Two less things to try and fish out of the bottom of the bag. 10 out of 10

Conclusion: With a new model coming out for 2008 I might just buy another pair while they're still available in my size and for a good price on close-outs. I hate spending money on non-peformance items like elbow pads and shin guards, but they're a necessity and I'm very pleased with the CCM Vector 10's.

Product: CCM Vector 10 elbow pads (2009 version, grey/blue)

Timeframe: mid-December 09 to present. Used 2-3 times a week.

Fit

I purchased these for the fit and mobility. For a long time I used no elbow pads at all and took a couple of slashes and shots. I wanted a pad that was very mobile with no restrictions at all. I am very pleased with the pads fit and mobility. I can extend my arm straight with no restriction and the pad is no overly bulky. Another key element is that the pad stays in place very well. With the rubber lining on the "sling" and elbow donut, the pad feels literally glued to your arm. After games it is a chore to get them off! The straping system is very good. The pad stays on itself with the arm sling and the velcro closures on the bottom are just for securing the forearm pad. The bicep strap is at a perfect location for me. 10/10

Protection

So far I have not taken any slashes or hits that I have felt. There are some gaps in the pad but they are not in "key" area's. 9/10

Weight

I do not find these pads overly heavy. I think the EPP construction helps reduce weight somewhat, but the 3-peice pads always seem a bit heavier for some reason. 8/10

Durability

I think this pad has lasted me a while (nearly a year) but there were a couple of problems. About 2-3 months into the use of the pad, the rubber grips on the inside of the arm sling started to peel away. There is not much rubber left on them now... Second is that the upper bicep strap seems to "bind up" during use. The material is not that great (basic elastic). A standard non-stretch strap or a neoprene material may have made things better. The velcro on the strap also seems to not stick well anymore... Lastly is that the pad seems to get smelly faster than any other peice of equipment I have ever had. I sray the pads with StinkOut after every use and let them air dry out of the bag. They still started to smell fairly quickly. I think it may be the rubber grips in the pad that are obsorbing a lot of the smell. 5/10

Conclusion

I would not hesitate to buy this/this style of pad again. The key is the mobility for me and the pads are very mobile. Although there have been some durability problems, the pads are still staying together and if I had to deal with a smelly peice of equipement - it would be my eblow pads! 8/10

Product: CCM U+Pro Elbow pads (2010 red/white/grey)

Timeframe: December 2010-present 3 times a week.

Tester: 5'7 tall. Wearing 13" Eagle PPFi gloves and S/M Jofa 6500 shoulders. I purchased a size Small in these pads.

Previous Equipment: Easton Synergy, old school coopers

Fit

I spent a couple of hours trying on all the latest offerings for top of line elbow pads from Warrior, NBH, Bauer, and these CCM. I was primarily looking for mobility first followed by elbow hold and protection. These pads, overall, provided the best mobility in the smallest or "form" fitting package. The elbow hold in these pads were much better than the competitors and even while wearing compression long sleeves the pad does not slip at all thanks in part to the neoprene stopper. The "stretch" zones work very well and allow a great range of motion considerably better than previous pads. The only real downside in the fit/comfort component of these pads is the neoprene stopper. While it does work very well in preventing slippage it can be a bit harsh on your skin if you do not wearing long sleeves underneath.

9.5/10

Protection

In the areas that the pad covers I have yet to feel any slashes or puck hits. This pad is defienetly smaller than the Warrior offerings providing much lower protection in the biscep area where the elbow pad meets the shoulder pad and they are a bit shorter leaving a small gap between the cuff of my glove. Despite these gaps I have yet to have any problems.

8.5/10

Weight

Light. I wasn't really concerned about weight especially when comparing to the other top line offerings from various brands, they were all going to be light. Warrior projekt did seem to be a touch lighter probably because of the CCM's 3 piece construction.

9.5/10

Durability

So far no signs of wearing or falling apart. All the velcro is in tact and they have yet to develop a smell.

10/10

Conclusion

These pads provide the exact fit and hold I had been looking for and are perfect for my style of level of play (beer league and chippy drop-in plus roller hockey). The pads from warrior were too big and awkward and the bauer x60s just didn't fit right in the elbow. I contemplated going for the medium in the CCM's but I am glad I went with the smalls the fact the pads don't budge at all during a game and the mobility makes them the best elbows I have tried to date.

9.4/10