Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mosu

how to break-in skates without heat mold machine ?

hello~

Sorry for some kind the same problem post first ...

my question is

how to break-in without heat mold machine ?

my friends and I just bought pairs Mission HE10000 skates..

It's wonderful except the break-in pain...

In Taiwan, there is no any heat mold machine in stores...

so we've used hair dryer(or a hot-air blower) to do that for several times.

so far, we still feel very painful near the ankle...

therefore, I just want to ask for help that anyone can tell me:

the way we can get rid of the pain without the heat mold machine?

thank you guys.

I have heard that wearing wet socks work. I know someone that does this on a normal basis even with a broken in pair of skates (which I don't suggest).

the 10000's are fairly stiff..they will take time..baking is an enhancement and not a substitute for breaking in skates....wear them for times when you aren't playing hockey....ie sitting watching TV....

in some older skates..you could wear a slightly damp sock (ie when hot water nearly drys to the touch) that would simulate the sweat process and hasten break in...

other skates can go into a convection style oven ~170 or so for a couple minutes, to simulate a skate oven...

I used a hair dryer on my vapor XVs and it worked fine uve just got 2 keep heating it. Some people i no have put them in an oven before (not a skate oven but a kitchen oven!!) aslong as the temp is low it worked fine. Max is 3mins i think.

I've also heard that dunking into or pouring boiling water in and then draining and tying them up has worked before. The hair dryer method could take forever, try and find a heat gun used at shops for installings blades into shafts. Wearing them as much as possible will help too.

here are some links about breaking in skates. i searched and many topics came up...

here are a few!

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index...p;p=entry

these discuss numerous techniques. hopefully some of them can be of hlep!

I also have the Helium 10000. Get some socks, dampen (dont soak) then in warm water. Then lace the skates up as tight as you can while sitting around watching tv or whatever. Takes a few times but works like a charm. Hope this helps.

I used a hair dryer on my vapor XVs and it worked fine uve just got 2 keep heating it. Some people i no have put them in an oven before (not a skate oven but a kitchen oven!!) aslong as the temp is low it worked fine. Max is 3mins i think.

thank you guys for such quick replies..

so another problem is ... while blowing it with hot wind....the surface becoming so hot!!

does the surface wont get burned or get scorched??

I'm so afraid of breaking them...

i've put my skates in a kitchen oven before and it's worked like a charm. you'll need a lot more then 3 mins though.

I have heard that wearing wet socks work. I know someone that does this on a normal basis even with a broken in pair of skates (which I don't suggest).

gosh what do they smell like? :blink:

"so another problem is ... while blowing it with hot wind....the surface becoming so hot!!does the surface wont get burned or get scorched??"

If you put the hairdryer into the skate it heats up the gel which you are moulding around your ankles. Im not really up with misson kit. The bauer skates worked fine just held the hair dryer inside the skate for about 10-15 mins then put my foot in and tightened. Worked fine.

Dont need to do it now I have an skate oven in the shop i work at.

I put some old skates in the oven once, worked well just make sure you remember to take the wheels off! :P

mosu, ni hao!

just wear them around the house as much as you can. I'm in the process of breaking in some S500s with a redstar e frame. Wore them around the house a few times... yesterday was the third time i've used them. I tightened them up till my feet went numb!... loosened them a little, and now they seem pretty good.

gosh what do they smell like? :rolleyes:

I can't tell you, man. I always make sure I dress up far away from this guy even if he is a great team-mate.

i've done the oven before, it works...but if you put your skates on, and then use a heat gun/hair dryer over the areas where you feel the most pain, that usually works too.

other than that, keep wearing them when you are at home, or play as much hockey as you can.

Whenever someone asks this, I just say SKATE. Put the skates on and go to pick ups or a rink somewhere and skate as much as you can. I just got a pair of 4ks, and they were stiff when I first used them...so I went to pick ups the other day for about an hour and a half...now they feel great...the best thing to do is just skate.

I would also just skate and get as much rink time in them as possible. Also when at home like others have said wear them around. Even sleep while wearing them if necessary.

I would also just skate and get as much rink time in them as possible. Also when at home like others have said wear them around. Even sleep while wearing them if necessary.

are you serious dude? lol

are you serious dude? lol

Tried and tested. I've done it and it works.

Agreed. Skating as much as possible always worked for me.

But if I needed to break in a pair in a hurry, this is what I do.

1. Get a bucket, fill it with room temperature water.

2. Thoroughly soak the skates. Get them dripping wet.

3. Immediately put the skates on, and tighten them as much as you want.

4. Skate around in the driveway/road/wherever (probably not the local rink)

5. After twenty minutes, take them off, remove the wheels and bearings, wipe them down, and leave them alone until they dry.

This usually works for me. Though I'd reommend using old wheels and bearings, and if you can't, then make sure the bearings are dry after the skate.

Agreed. Skating as much as possible always worked for me.

But if I needed to break in a pair in a hurry, this is what I do.

1. Get a bucket, fill it with room temperature water.

2. Thoroughly soak the skates. Get them dripping wet.

3. Immediately put the skates on, and tighten them as much as you want.

4. Skate around in the driveway/road/wherever (probably not the local rink)

5. After twenty minutes, take them off, remove the wheels and bearings, wipe them down, and leave them alone until they dry.

This usually works for me. Though I'd reommend using old wheels and bearings, and if you can't, then make sure the bearings are dry after the skate.

This is also a highly recommended way of prematurely breaking down an otherwise good pair of skates. If they are bakeable then bake them. If not the more they are on your feet the better.

I never use skates outside that I plan on having for very long. That goes for letting them get thoroughly soaked as well.