Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D3nZ

In Case Of A LockOut

In case of a Lockout, there is apparently a game in the works that would feature some Canadian and Russian stars at the TO Skydome (with the open roof) that would be in the memory of the Summit Series of 72. Apparently some concerts would take place, a womans game and some special guests, it was reported today in the Toronto Sun (I think). Would be nice to see a Gretzky like contest between a couple of teams, if there is a lockout that is.

EDIT: Here Is A Link http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=88228

I doubt it will, this lock-out seems to be al ittle different from the last because it looks like more players are looking for other non-NHL options. If the game goes I can see it being similar in intensity to the cross-province games for the last lock-out.

I've been reading that a lot of the European players want a bit of a vacation and are actually happy about the lockout.

I personally think it would be better if there would really be a SERIES a not just one game.

I think it's just something to watch, not meant to be another historical moment. They threw out a "re-live the moment" type series a little while ago where some B class Pro's from each country faced of in a '72 series return game.

Some of the agents are looking at a barnstorming tour to benefit the NHLPA general fund. IMG was one of the big ones involved. They manage a lot of players and they have excellent contacts in the European arenas as well as North American ones.

The funny thing is, so many teams own arenas that they may have problems putting on a game in a large arena that doesn't put cash in the pocket of an NHL owner.

Exacly, alot of the new owners also own the right to the team's arena, just like in Montreal, the naming rights are Bell's but the majority owner of the building is the team owner, George Gillett. That is also why the Gretzky tournament was held in Hamilton and they are also in the talk of a country tour in small communities that have a 5000+ arena where a good amount of people could still see the players for a good amount of money but I am sure they would get a good show cause I remember enjoying the Gretzky tourny 10 years ago.

The Gretzky tour was a team of all-stars that travelled across Europe and played 8 games wasn't it? And the Hamilton tournament was a 4 on 4, 4 province competition, that I don't think Gretzky even competed in. At least thats what I remember, but then again I was 9 at the time.

Yeah, I mixed up but there was also a 4 on 4 tournament in Hamilton before the Gretz tourny in Europe.