Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecat_39

McKenney 852 Instinct Pads

ok, well i wont go as far as you did in your review netminder, but ill give u the specs on my pads

McKenney 852 Instinct 35" Pads

For a 35" pad, they're not very big. I'm 6 feet and they fit me perfectly atk, I just find they are a little short, maybe could use a 2 inch thigh rise.

I've had them for roughly 2.5 years now, and they've held up great. I've played anywhere from 4-5 times a week to only once a week thorughout their career. They have no appararent rips, cuts, or any sewing coming loose. One thing I will say is the face of the pad is coming loose..its hard to explain..its like they didn't sew the face of the pad on tight enough so now theres a little "excess skin".

As far as performance, they've been great for me... They protect me very well and perform even better. They arent too soft but not too stiff either...its a happy medium for me anyways..they rotate very nice and play consistently. I've seen some pads where you almost have to make them go butterfly..these drop in the butterfly with super ease..its almost safe to say more than the velocity.

A few cons on the pad...the boot straps (2) are set very close together..maybe 6 inches apart, just enough to fit your skate in between. While this is a nice feature to properly secure the skate in place, I find they'd be better off spreading them out like almost every other pad to allow the pad to rotate a little nicer. The thigh boards are poorly designed, they are held up through the top strap, which you keep loose, so the thigh baords just flop around. Since they are very big, it doesn't help.

All in all, I've critized them in my head quite a bit throughout their time..but after trying on alot of different pads at my work (Peranis Hockey World- Windsor), I found that they are alot better than what I give them credit for

performance 9/10

durability 9/10

look 6/10

design 7/10

price 9/10