Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AK10R

Learn to shoot right or left

I'm a lil bit confused now...I'm right handed and I shoot right handed. I don't have an amazingly strong shot, and people compliment me on my stick handling ability. I hardly ever take wrist shots, just doesn't feel right to me.

For baseball, I've always batted righty, but one summer I started swinging lefty and now I'm much better lefty. Maybe I should try shooting lefty...probably too late.

BTW, I started out with a straight blade as well.

IMHO who gives a crap what a couple of scientist say or what the "rules" are. If I followed the dominant hand on top theory I should be using a left handed stick. I use a right handed stick because when I was a kid first learning to play someone gave me a righty. It felt fine and thats what I learned with and still use. I'm a decent stick handler and have a pretty good shot so I don't think playing lefty would be changed my game any.

Give the kids a flat blade and they will figure out what feels comfortable and what suites them the best. After they decide what they like then it is just a matter of propper shooting technique, good coaching and practice.

My mother bought my brother two street hockey sticks when we were about twelve. She doesnt know much about hockey and we never really played. Both of those sticks were left handed. Both my brother and i are right handed. My brother switched up to right handed and i continued playing left. Alot of my friends that are right handed play left and some play right. My one friend is left handed plays forward right and works great for playing goal.

I shoot right... except when I score, the overwhelming majority of my goals are backhanders :blink:

It's almost like I should be shooting left for the situations I find myself in (I think I play best at right wing), except it's super awkward for me to hold the stick left-handed. And I'm 28 so it would take me an awful long time to switch. Every other sport I play right-handed.

:huh:

My son started out as a lefty because he naturally held the stick with the dominant right hand on top when we went to the LHS. In hockey, it seems like he is more comfortable as a lefty even though he lacks the power in passes and shots among his 'righthanded' team mates. He's six now but recently I tried 'forcing' him to shoot right but he isn't used to it. Driving me a bit insane as I am a righty that shoots right. On the bright side, he gets a little stronger each time out as a lefty passing and shooting wise. Also, I just have to remind myself that skating is probably more important at this stage.

My mom got me a lefty stick as my first stick when I was about 5, and I STILL held it right. I'm right handed by the way.

Since we can all agree that the chances of making it in the NHL are slim to none, just make sure your kid is comfortable with whichever way he shoots. I mean, in the end, you just want him to enjoy playing the game for life.

When i started playing hockey my friend gave me a right handed stick and then my dad had me try it and it was comfortable for me and then i tryed lefty and it was uncomfortable (i write right-handed) i can stick handle fine and i think because of my left hand being on top my left hand has become stronger over time.

tried what JR suggested with my 3 year old yesterday.. Had an old hockey stick cut to about his height, then asked him to hold it...

he received the stick with his right, and anyways i've noticed he prefers to have his hand on the top end. Kicks with his right as well, so I'll let him be...

There are two schools of thought.

1)If he is right handed, his right hand should be on the top of the stick, so he should shoot left. He will stickhandle better, and shoot better.

2) Every right handed player in Canada shoots left. In the US, some right handed players shoot right, and some shoot left. As a result, since most players are right handed, there is a shortage of players that shoot right. Someday, the fact that your kid shoots right might be the deciding factor on if he makes a cut or not, since the team will probably have most players shooting left already, and need right handed shots. And eventually he can train himself to be just as good shooting on the "wrong" side.

So, you pays your quarter and you picks your tune!

Biff: not all right handed players in Canada shoot left...I am right handed and shoot right, however both of my brothers are right handed and shoot left. i also agree with kosydar. at work when a parent comes in with a youngster and doesn't know which way they shoot, i lay a stick on the floor and have the child pick it up. the hand they pick it up with is the dominant hand and goes on the top of the shaft. it has borne true so far.