Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

indaslot

Slapshot to foot

My son got a slapshot to the inside of his foot during practice.X-rays showed no fractures.There was minimal swelling and no visible bruising.He doesn't have much pain walking now (5th day).Yesterday he insisted on trying to skate though i was against it.Anyway, no harm done because he lasted about 15 seconds as the pain forced him off the ice.He could not even glide.We are doing all the obvious (R.I.C.E.)and not so obvious (arnica pellets and topical gel)and he began stationary bike and exercises (no feet or weight bearing).Has anyone had any experience with this injury and if so,about how long were you out and how did you manage returning to play?(i.e.just kept trying to skate and backing off if painful, or trying alight jog etc.)Also, has anyone tried those small foot whirlpools? Sorry to be obsessive,but 6 more days till a big tournament that he hopes not to miss.

I got hit with a shot in the inside of my foot last summer, Right in the arch of your foot. I got what is called a "green stick fracture". The bone kind of split apart, but didn't break all the way through. I didn't play the rest of the game, but I was back on the ice within 4 days. That being said, it wasn't healed and hurt a bit, but I didn't miss any time. Now that it is healed I have a lump in the arch of my foot, like the bone in your ankle except a bit smaller. The hardest part was lacing up my skates when I first did it. I had to have my mouth guard in my mouth to bite down on because of the pain.

It's kind of hard to say, because everyone has different pain tolerances and diff. levels of pig-headedness. Last time that happened to me, I played 7 days later with minimal pain. But the day after it happened, you would have been hard pressed to tell me that I would've been back on skates that soon. I probably should have given it another few days, but I really wanted to play. If the x-rays were negative, it's pretty much up to your son,. When ever he feels ready to go, he'll know how much he can push it.

I have heard about greenstick fractures in children ( don't know if you are a child, but am assuming you're not or your mom wouldn't have let you get back on the ice!)I guess every case is different.He was hit in pretty much the same spot just below the pad beneath the big toe.I guess all the soft tissues must be bruised.

Ice and Ibuprofin (sp) are his friend.

And rest.

At this stage I would think that one day too much rest would be way better than one day too little. It would seem like he could get back on the ice the day before the big tournament and be way better off than suffering for four days because of trying to rush the recovery. Does the team have a trainer who can tape his foot before practice and games?? Taping can be tricky to do yourself if you have never done it.

I blocked a wrist shot coming around the boards with the inside of the foot, just above the arch. No big deal - light bruise and some pain. But for 2-3 months after, even though I skated, every time i turned to the injured side, I was cringing in discomfort. Things got much better when I switched skates. New ones where much snugger, and the foot was not 'twisting' in the boot, the heel and counter were doing all the work and not stressing the front of the foot. Have him try, if his skates will allow, wrapping the foot tightly with the wrap. That may be worth a try. Otherwise, he needs to give it rest.

Thanks all.I will have him read your replies.Great to have some support!

Ice and Ibuprofin (sp) are his friend.

And rest.

At this stage I would think that one day too much rest would be way better than one day too little. It would seem like he could get back on the ice the day before the big tournament and be way better off than suffering for four days because of trying to rush the recovery. Does the team have a trainer who can tape his foot before practice and games?? Taping can be tricky to do yourself if you have never done it.

Unfortunatly no trainer.I tend to agree with you about the one day too many-definately the less evil.

I have heard about greenstick fractures in children ( don't know if you are a child, but am assuming you're not or your mom wouldn't have let you get back on the ice!)I guess every case is different.He was hit in pretty much the same spot just below the pad beneath the big toe.I guess all the soft tissues must be bruised.

nope, I'm 23. Its actually the seccond "green stick fracture" I've had. I busted my clavical when I fliped my dirtbike when I was 15.

Im not a trainer so dont beat me up if somebody can prove me wrong, but I think in this case, if you can stand it, you can play through the pain and not hurt yourself further. If it was a muscle pull/strain or he cracked a bone, then I would say no don't play because you can make it worse. But if it just hurts, then pop some ibeuprofin (sp?), lace up that skate and be a man. :D It was prolly pretty foolish of me to keep playing because if I would have taken another shot I prolly would have broken it all the way, but I guess you take risks when its your last year of contact hockey.

He will try it out on Tuesday and see how it goes.He is only 14 so I have to be responsable for him up to a point.I think he knows the kind of pain he can play through.I'm sure he will skate if it is that type of discomfort.When you are my age,you see the training errors of your youth and hope to spare your kids, but of course, that doesn't always work!

Encourage him to rest. If he can lace up at home and stand and not have any pain, then maybe try hitting the ice. Otherwise rest. The day before perhaps push through the pain a little. Then on the day of the tryout probably go ahead and go for it. Just lace as tight as you can and if you can find a wrap that covers/supports the injured area and just go for it.

I took one on the foot a few months back. It doesn't sound as bad as yours, because i was only playing rec hockey twice a week and i didn't miss any, but i had pain in that foot for at least two weeks.