Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jarick

Everything coming together...

Kind of posted in another thread, but hell I'll make my own.

I've been playing since November of last year. Actually played for several years as a kid, but I was pretty horrible...could barely skate, couldn't stop, terrible with the puck. Played one year of contact hockey and had I think an empty net goal over the entire time.

So I'm going at it pretty hard, playing open hockey twice a week, working on my skating and shooting outdoors, practicing with a Smart Hockey ball inside, basically making up for not playing for the last 10 years.

Last week I "figured out" how to really get some speed going, bringing my legs back to center as quickly as possible (rather than trying to push really hard). Spent a lot of time working on turning fast as well and getting more comfortable on my edges rather than just going forward.

So last night, I'm kind of dangling a bit, playing LW and covering the point man. They miss a pass and it slides past him a bit. I start hustling as fast and hard as I can, pick up the puck off the boards, and get away from the defender on my ass. Come down towards the left side of the goal (I'm a lefty) and somehow pull a Jussi Jokinen faking a shot then pulling it around for a backhand goal. First real goal I've had that didn't involve a garbage rebound.

I don't know, I'm just pretty excited. I've just about been able to catch up with the former high school and rec players in a really short time. Just one of those "when you put your mind to it" things...and yeah I wish I would have tried this hard when I was little now, but what can you do.

Congrats Jarick, do you play open hockey at Richfield?

No, too early in the day for me! Always at noon when I'm working.

I usually play Fridays in Minnetonka or Saturdays in Eagan. Also play some games with a group of guys at Saint Thomas.

Congrats. In HS I had the same problem. I played roller and thought that transition would be easy ... and boy was I wrong. It took me a long time to work at it and finally am starting to get my legs back and play and understand the game better.

Congrats and keep up the good work!