Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greatone

Dr. Smushkin camps

My daughter has attended Dr. Smushkin's camps for about 2 years now, and as many of his weekly sessions as her schedule will allow. Sadly, not very many this year because her team scheduled practices at the same time; she has skipped some team practices to attend because Smushkin is more challenging. He is completely unique and his theories are well grounded and systematic. She has said it is the most mentally challenging camp she has ever participated in and credits the Doc with sorting out her skating by tearing down the bad habits she had developed. The first session she attended, she was the only girl and could not do a single drill while younger kids were whizzing around her. She came off the ice saying it was the most difficult 2 hrs she had ever spent, she couldn't do anything and she NEEDED to come back next week.

You will not see his drills anywhere else. He brings his background in gymnastics and figure skating and applies it to hockey. Many power skating instructors in Toronto are graduates of Smushkin, and you can see elements of him in their program, but my daughter says they are "modified Smushkin and waaay easier than what the Doctor does"

He is not for everyone. He is demanding and challenging and PASSIONATE. He does not hold anyone's hand and there is not a lot of individual correction in his program. You watch and figure it out and try. Repeat. It is highly frustrating at first until you begin to get the hang of it. He is highly tolerant of people who are determined and really trying... and has little time for those who aren't. If he doesn't feel you are working he kicks you out of the program. He speaks with a thick Russian accent that is hard to understand at first and he can be quick to anger. The kids who "get him", absolutely love him and work damn HARD to EARN his quiet "good" and avoid his "bye-bye, you were born by mistake" or "move your a$$".

His program is based on a deep understanding of skating bio-mechanics, individual creativity and both physical and mental agility. If you are prepared for a challenge I highly recommend his program. If you're not, my daughter would prefer you not clutter up the ice...LOL

I or MissD would be happy to answer any questions you may have about his program.

Here is a link to his web site: http://www.hockeyagility.com/index.html

1 week a long long time ago!

There are two schools of thought:

1) Smushkin is a genius, and is one of the few people out there that understands the hockey mechanics and muscle memory to be able to churn out great players

2) The guy just screams at everyone and the kids feelings get hurt.

I am in the first camp. Yeah, he is demanding. But I am fairly sure that I saw a distinct improvement in my kids skating ability about 1 month after the camp.

He has you go over some odd drills over and over and over. The idea is that if you train the muscle memory with these specific drills, eventually your body picks it up and can skate the right way for the rest of your life without even thinking about it. He hase written a few research books on the topic, and they sound convincing.

For any kid that is a behaviour problem, or has ants in his pants, no attention span, etc, do not bother to go. He will not enjoy it.

Hockeymom, so is it fair to say, you saw improvement in your daughters skating ability after the camp?? Thank you.

HUGE improvement at each and every one of his camps. Gets better and better!

Which camp are you considering attending - I assume not Sweden, so Boston or Toronto?

Look, my daughter and I are huge believers in the power of Dr. Smushkin's program. As Biff said, there are 2 extremes of opinions about him and his program. I think he is absolutely the "real deal" and a passionate genius.

We have a theme in our house about "A Million Miles to Good" to recognize that this isn't going to happen overnight - it is a lot of effort. MissD works hard, she brings a level of determination that maybe some other kids don't have in her pursuit of "Getting Good". It was pretty intimidating being the only girl and the worst skater, but WOW, has she gotten a lot out of this unique program, and a lot from this passionate man. She considers Dr. Smushkin to be her "secret weapon" in the campaign to "Get Good".

There is no way I would disrespect him by showing a vid of his actual drills; but I have a fun one that I don't think he would mind my posting.

Before you watch it, keep this in mind...

1. the vid does NOT show any of his unique drills, so you're not seeing what you would actually be doing in his camps... but it does give a flavour of what a session with the Doc is like.

2. the vid shows a "free skate" where you could do whatever you wanted to do

3. the vid also has a fun period (and MissD always distinguishes "Smushkin fun" - his fun always has a purpose)

BTW, the really little guy was four years old in this video... you only catch glimpses of him, but he has been skating with the Doc for about a year.

Oh, I hope MissD doesn't kill me... I deliberately edited this with all of her falling down mistakes because it is funny and I am truly twisted that way....LOL

Smushkin Fun Session

Tyngsboro Mass. over the summer. What is the age group like?? I know the camp states 8 to 18 years of age, but I would prefer mostly older kids, 14 and up. PS Great Video!!

I'm not sure of the age range in Mass., in Toronto, the summer camp does have more older kids (as well as the mix of regulars). But the age really, truly doesn't matter because it is all individual work. The lines tend to group by age and ability. His weekly sessions in Toronto tend to have some "grads" of the program dropping by from time to time just to tune their skating. So it really is a breathtaking mix of age and ability... be prepared to have a 10 yr old blow you out of the water...LOL

The summer camp is 4 hours on-ice with a zam after each hour. Each hour is a different focus. You'll need to take 2 sticks (one old, even broken one) because one part of the day always involves precision puckhandling.

My younger cousin went to a Smushkin camp, he described it as "useless figure skating lessons taught in a chaotic fashion to hockey players by a Russian egomaniac screaming constantly." Smushkin's theories on muscle memory are hardly new or unique. Some people seem to like his program, a lot seem to think he's a lunitic. For the money I think I'd rather find a camp that doesn't have so many bad reviews.

Smushkin's theories on muscle memory are hardly new or unique.

LOL, his program is certainly not for everyone.

Muscle memory is not new or unique and is well established and regarded. But I wouldn't describe muscle memory as Smushkin's hockey theories. Muscle memory is relevant to... umm, the application of his theories.

Perhaps the type of parent you are dictates if you will like the doctor or not. If you expect a great deal from your kid, want him to learn just how hard he has to work at something to succeed (either in hockey or life), etc, then the doctor is a good experience to try. To really make it in hockey, there are going to be 3 hour per day sessions x 5 days per week in a weight room somewhere in the players future. Are they going to do that? There are going to be grueling bus rides all over 2 countries--while having to do college homework on the bus. Are they going to stick to that plaN? It is all about how they gradually get introduced to the hard work=success formula of life.

If you are a more touchy feely type, "don't worry, you played great" even though they lost 5 to 1, etc, then I do not think you are going to be happy.

And a lot is about what choices the player makes himself. If you sit him/her down and explain how hard it is to make it in hockey, detail all the steps, and the player still wants to make it to D1 or the show, then a camp like Smushkins fits right in there. It WILL be tough, but that is what the player himself is chosing.

"are you talking in my line? I think you are."

The "cat's out of the bag" now.... LOL

In Toronto we get...

"Are you talking in my line? Only in CANADA! In Boston, they don't talk in my line, In Sveee-den, they don't talk in my line. ONLY in Canada do peoples talk in my line!"

Perhaps the type of parent you are dictates if you will like the doctor or not. If you expect a great deal from your kid, want him to learn just how hard he has to work at something to succeed (either in hockey or life), etc, then the doctor is a good experience to try. To really make it in hockey, there are going to be 3 hour per day sessions x 5 days per week in a weight room somewhere in the players future. Are they going to do that? There are going to be grueling bus rides all over 2 countries--while having to do college homework on the bus. Are they going to stick to that plaN? It is all about how they gradually get introduced to the hard work=success formula of life.

If you are a more touchy feely type, "don't worry, you played great" even though they lost 5 to 1, etc, then I do not think you are going to be happy.

And a lot is about what choices the player makes himself. If you sit him/her down and explain how hard it is to make it in hockey, detail all the steps, and the player still wants to make it to D1 or the show, then a camp like Smushkins fits right in there. It WILL be tough, but that is what the player himself is chosing.

Wow Biff, I think you've hit the distinction of the type of parent and player spot on here. I found out about Dr. Smushkin by reading his books, and it sounded like his understanding of biomechanics and skating would help MissD's issues. Other parents in Toronto discover him by realizing that the Head Instructors of virtually all of the power skating schools are graduates of his program. I emailed the Doctor to see if he would take her on and he replied "Bring daughter to camp. Is simple matter, we fix" They warned us not to expect to be able to do the drills the first time... Dr Smushkin even came into the dressing room and thundered at her "You VILL be Frustrated! You must have Heart and Determination!". (He was trying to be helpful, but it scared the crap out of her at the time. Now it wouldn't phase her; she loves his passion).

I was in absolute agony watching MissD's first session. At one point I thought "Oh gawd, this ordeal must surely be almost over by now".... and looked up at the clock, shocked to realize that we were just into 30 minutes of the 2 hour session!!

Every class after that she saw improvement. But I don't believe she would have kept at it if her recognition of her limitations and challenges - and her determination to work through them - wasn't so strong.

**and there is not a lot of individual correction in his program. You watch and figure it out and try. Repeat.**

This is my problem with him. In my opinion, on the spot correction and feedback are critical components to learning, otherwise you should just buy a DVD. If you have ever watched a high level gymnast, or track athlete or figure skater, the coaching invlolves instant one on one feedback not an example to simply replicate until you "get it".

His drills are very similar to figure skating drills, and are indeed similar to a lot of what other powerskating instructors do.

If you want the same kind of intensity but with several instructors giving individual attention and on the spot corrections you should check out Jules Jardine's school, it is called World Class Hockey in Toronto. He has put a ton of guys into the OHL and works with a ton of kids of NHL hockey players.

He also coaches the 1996 birth year triple A Junior Canadiens.

My son has been working with him since September and the improvement is simply unbelievable. I have no doubt about the quality of Smushkins drills, but the yelling from the middle of the ice, in street shoes, loses something in the translation for me.

Anyhow, different strokes for different folks.

Jordan, I agree with you... the lack of instant correction is the significant drawback of his program.

Unlike you, I have no problem with the street shoes... there are many sports where it is the norm for an instructor or coach not to be "suited up". I also disagree with equating his program with buying a DVD - obviously there is a huge difference between passively watching something on a couch and watching/doing/learning.

As an educator, I recognize there are several modalities in learning. Smushkin's methods work well for my kid (who is a highly visual and kinesthetic learner), but would probably not work for a verbal/auditory learner.

My daughter has gone to Jules Jardine and continues to also work with Wayne Gagne of Draft Choice and Annie Fahlenbrock of Fierce Hockey. All run great programs that I highly recommend.

Regardless of the program, the amount of time/effort and consistency is the key to improving.

**Unlike you, I have no problem with the street shoes... there are many sports where it is the norm for an instructor or coach not to be "suited up". I also disagree with equating his program with buying a DVD - obviously there is a huge difference between passively watching something on a couch and watching/doing/learning.**

Hockeymom,

I think we agree more more than it seems. My problem with not being "suited up" is that it limits the ability to offer correction along side the skater. This particularly true in a group lesson. I have seen many, many figure skating coaches(my daughter is a competitive figure skater) who are along side the boards, but they are generally working with one skater right in front of them.

The DVD comment wasn't meant to equate a skating lesson with passively lying on a couch, but that it could provide exercises that could be watched, and then practiced until learned.

I have watched a number of the Fierce girls as they use Rinx as does Jules, and it looks to be an excellent program. I also have heard a lot of good things about Wayne Gagne. The other name that keeps popping up around this area is David Trombley at Extreme Hockey (OTG has some affiliation here).

I think the key to all of these programs is first, finding a good match for your child and then secondly the instructor needs to be able to find that fine line in between where the student is being pushed beyond their comfort zone and yet below the point where there is too much frustration.

"are you talking in my line? I think you are."

"No soup for you, come back-1 year"

Anyone asked the 'mad Russian" if he's seen the soup nazi on Seinfeld?

Doctor runs hands down the best skating school i've ever seen or been to. Believe me, the only people to criticize are the ones who don't understand or are unable to see any improvement because they don't know enough. I went to him since I was eight years old (11 years ago) and I've seen a lot of kids and parents walk away from his school, but it's generally because a lot of kids are lazy and too many of them as well as parents think that they know everything there is to know. I'll admit that he's not as energetic as he's always been but cut him some slack he must be eighty years old. Most of the kids around my age that started around the time I did and stuck with him are playing at least tier II Jr.A. Just remember it's the kid who turns himself into he wants to be and not the coach. It's just important that he or she is willing to work hard and be open to coaching, and believe me dr.smushkin is as good as they come.

Jordan, I have attended Jules Jardines camp when he was with Prime Time Hockey (Toronto). The camp was located in Mount Vernon New York. This camp was six hours on the ice. It was just OK. No more, no less. World Class Hockey is the best camp you can come up with??? After reading all the comments, it seems everyone has their own flavor of choice.

i can't believe the guy is still going.

i did his camp 20+ yrs ago..

my skating definitely improved.

i remember jumping off spring boards.. and jumping over chairs.. turning with the pinwheel..

looking back on it, it was fun..

but when i did it.. we thought he was a bit crazy.. I didnt quite understanding everything.. or why he was doing stuff..

but it did improve my skating.

i dont remember him yelling at any one... or kicking any one out...

I went to his camp for 2 weeks, it was a great learning experience. Only person i found was better but didnt do big camps at all maybe 10guys in a week long camp, if anyone ever went to him it was great Noel Ng. His camp was in toronto out of mid-scarborough arena. His weekly monday nights was maybe 3-4 guys

**Jordan, I have attended Jules Jardines camp when he was with Prime Time Hockey (Toronto). The camp was located in Mount Vernon New York. This camp was six hours on the ice. It was just OK. No more, no less. World Class Hockey is the best camp you can come up with??? After reading all the comments, it seems everyone has their own flavor of choice.**

He has come a long way since the Prime Time days. Don't get me started on PTH, I think very little of them.

Hope my post didn't offend the good dr's supporters, it was intended to be funny. I have recomended his classes for numerous kids....well worth the money.

See his JC's are playing the Marlies in playoffs, have to make the drive in and catch a game.

What are those pink boxes/warn under my name.....looks like I'm off to a bad start here :rolleyes: