Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeymom

Midget AAA Toronto

Dave Gwyn who I believe coaches the Wexford Raiders Midget AAA as well as the St. Michaels Jr. Buzzers AAA Prospects Team... is taking on developing a Midget girls' Tier 1 program next year.

I am wondering if any of the Toronto area members have any useful information about his coaching style and ability to develop players. Please feel free to pm me if you don't want to post.

Thanks for your help.

'They . . . beat the crap out of each other'

Locker-boxing, minor hockey's vicious little secret, has surfaced recently in Toronto, thanks to the all-seeing eye of YouTube.

PETER CHENEY

Globe and Mail Update

The Age of YouTube has produced new, splintered brands of minor fame -- and until last week, hockey coach Dave Gwyn had no idea that his own team was starring in an Internet clip that has put one of Toronto minor hockey's violent secrets on the world stage.

The footage, tagged "Martone vs. Tric," shows several members of Mr. Gwyn's Triple-A team engaging in "locker boxing," an activity that resembles a gladiatorial combat in hockey helmets and gloves.

Captured on a camera phone inside a locker room at a Toronto rink, the video shows Mr. Gwyn's players punching each other into submission while the rest of the team watches and cheers them on. "Go, you ****ing pussies!" one exhorts.

Agreed, nothing new-buckets and blood has been around a long time. Many orgs/coaches look the other way, realize "its on" and leave the boys on their own.

I can assure you every travel team did not have a match-our players are never left in the room alone for just these reasons.

Great for you than, I applaud your coaches that do it. I do find it hard to believe it's never happened on your team. I knew a few matches that went on that were before the coaches and such got there, some matches never got around to the coach hearing too.

Hockeymom, if he was the Head Coach of the Raiders last year you do not want Ms.D playing for him. First of all, the Wexford raiders in the past 3 years have won a total of about 5 games. That should explain his ability to train players. Second of all, the man is a drunk. He actually came to practice tanked a few times last year. (This is coming from my friend, who played on the team. Which he regrets doing)

There may be info on the network54 sites regarding Dave-not much positive gets posted on those sites so you'll have to consider the source. Wexford at one time was a proud, strong organization....doormats now so its hard to judge by his coaching record there. The GTHL is unique in Canada with no residency restrictions binding players to a particular org....kids are recruited and move freely to other LOR teams so Wexfords winless season may reflect more on the coaches poor recruitment skills rather than his development abilities.

I have no first hand knowledge of Gwyn as a coach, I'll inquire at the rink and pm you. Hope I'm not being too negative....will this new team be owned by the real estate mogul who bought up all the G teams 2-3 years back?

Thanks Ti-Cat... that's a scary bit of info.

And thanks Zamboni, I'd appreciate any information. No, we don't have the same "ownership" problems in girls' hockey.

This organization is the Scarborough Sharks. The Sharks dumped their weak Tier 1 program a year ago and are now redeveloping it with Dave Gwyn as head coach. All Scarborough teams seem to have problems with recruitment.

We're looking at 4 clubs; MissD doesn't care where she plays. Her sole criteria is to find an excellent coach who will help her elevate her game.

LOL Wexford... My team played them in a tournament and shut them out. The shots were 45-3. We scored more goals than they had shots. It's hard to tell how good a coach is when his team has zero talent.

LOL Wexford... My team played them in a tournament and shut them out. The shots were 45-3. We scored more goals than they had shots. It's hard to tell how good a coach is when his team has zero talent.