Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

Tie Down rule

I know (in the NHL) if you get in a fight and your tie-down isn't done up you get an extra penalty (Unsportsmanlike, I think).

But, can a coach ask a ref to check a guy at any stoppage. I've seen a couple players over the course of the playoffs, who while adjusting gear, or in full flight appear to not have their jerseys tied down.

Can a coach ask or no? And, if so...is the risk the same...delay of game if you're wrong?

Doesnt much matter if Henrik Sedin or Pavel Datsyuk doesnt have it tied down. Same way the backup goalie doesnt have to wear a helmet on the bench.

I don't believe you can. You can challenge the players curve on a stick but not the tie-down strap from what I believe. Whether or not it is an offical rule or not it at least seems to be one of the unwritten ones. I couldn't find anything in writing.

Why an extra minor for not doing your strap?

The Rob Ray Rule. He wore tiny little shoulder pads and his jersey extra large...as soon as he got in a fight...everything came off easy and he's standing there with no shirt on and his opponent had nothing to hold onto and was a sitting duck to get a pounding.

It also prevents (to a degree) having the jersey pulled up over your head, so at least you can still see what's coming at you.

wow i never realized that aspect of the jersey as a source of a grip for fights

i guess he could hold on to the sholder pads but i think those would come off real easy since the person is gripping with such force

i guess he could hold on to the sholder pads but i think those would come off real easy since the person is gripping with such force

In a fight, While the jersey will work it isnt optimal, the pads are.

Actually, near the elbow ad upper arm on the jersey is one of the better pace to grab and try to tie up, it prevents a guy from unloading and using his shouler and upper arm to drive his fist into you. Holding anywhere near the shoulder lets a guy get his whole arm into it. A lot of the guys I knew in the cocktail leagues (Coast, United, Central) who threw often loved having goalie cut jerseys, so the arm has extra room, so their elbows have some range of motion if the guy tries to tie them up there.

In a fight, While the jersey will work it isnt optimal, the pads are.

I stand corrected. jptwofive seems to have some inside knowledge

(I have not had to drop the gloves)