Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fixxer

Help me plan my new fantasy league

Okay I am trying to get the details down on my league.

So far this is how my league is going to work.

There are 8-12 teams.

Each team has the following positions.

- 3 Centers

- 6 Wingers

- 4 Defensemen

- 2 Goaltenders

At the first draft there are no players assigned to a team.

There is a salary cap of 31 million for 15 players.

Salaries are the official salaries listed at nhlpa.com at draft time.

Unsigned players may not be drafted, but if signed will added into the free agent pool.

Scoring is as follows:

Players

Goal: 7

Assist: 4

PIM: -1

+/-: 3

Shot: 1

GWG: 30

Blocked Shot: 1

Hit: 1

Goaltenders

Game Played: 5

Save: 1

Win: 7

Shutout: 30

Cap is too low. With guys like Vanek and Gomez making $10M, Drury $7m and Luongo at $6m, there are going to be a lot of talented players that just can't be fit into a cap that's that low.

Well thats the point.

You have to do your home work and find those value players.

Maybe raising the cap to 40 million?

Well thats the point.

You have to do your home work and find those value players.

Maybe raising the cap to 40 million?

Even Crosby at $8.7M eats up more than 25% of a $30M cap. Personally, having a fantasy hockey league that precludes a large number of stars really doesn't sound entertaining. $40M is better.

With only 15 teams there's almost no need to pick anyone who isn't a top 6 forward top two D or starting goalie. Forcing people to draft other people simply to stay under the cap will leave a lot of talented guys sitting on waivers.

I'm curious how you came up with your scoring system. It's slanted toward goal production and away from anyone that gets penalties which isn't what I've seen is common in hockey leagues. Not that it's wrong, just not typical. A guy like Thornton wouldn't be too popular in this league given his high assists, low goals and salary.

What about Powerplay points?

And 30 pts for a GWG seems way too high. It's one of those stats that is a luck sort of thing and you're already counting goals at almost twice the level of assists so now you're really skewing the league towards goal scorers. If I was drafting in this league it would be all about high shooting goal scorers.

Are you using a league website to manage all of this or manual?

Well basically I set it up by dividing the league leading amount in each total into 350. Assist come easier than goals, plus there are second assists. The leader in GWG last season had 12 I think.

What about 15 points for a GWG?

GWG goals mean the players team wins the game.

Penalties hurt a team.

Im trying to make it so that you have to draft a team that would actualy win in the NHL under a salary cap. Hits and blocked shots contribute to a team success. If a player doesnt get a lot of points, they can still turn a game around with a few hits or shot blocks. This makes players like for example on Buffalo, Ales Kotalik or Toni Lydman valuable in the league where as in normal fantasy leagues that are not because they are not high scorers.

I think I will go with a 40,000,000 cap.

We are using yahoo to keep track.

I'm with Herb, the scoring is beyond borked. Hits and blocks are not officially published stats, good luck with that part. A penalty isn't always a detriment either. There are a lot of penalties that prevent a scoring opportunity or even change the course of a game.

I didnt think it was the off.

07 "Mosts"

Goals: 52 (7) = 364

Assists: 92 (4) = 368

Shots: 392 (1) = 392

PIM: 233 (-1) = -233 (Ben Eager sucks so this stat works)

+/-: 47 (3) = 141 (you can get a + for not even doing anything to its worth less)

Hits: 288 (1) = 288

Blocks: 273 (1) = 273

GWG: 10 (30) = 300

I want a similar method of scoring, but what do you suggest at changes to stat values?

Like Chadd said, are you sure you can track those secondary stats like hits and blocked shots on Yahoo? I've never setup a league on Yahoo so I could be wrong but it would surprise me if you can have that as a tracked category.

So it looks like you're trying to make it all even between each of the scoring categories so that the top goal scorer is worth as much as the top assist guy etc. I guess I can see your point there.

I still think GWG isn't a category that you'd want to put as much weight on. It's just too random of a category. I would add points for PPG and PPA to make the drafting a little more strategic.

As for the goalie scoring, I don't think you reward the good goalies in the league enough. Shutouts are kinda like GWG in that they're random and not very common so it's not like I'd draft a goalie hoping for lots of shutouts. Saves seem like they'd be most important.

Looking at last year's stats I'd be likely to draft the Boston goalies for example. They get pounded with shots the most and they'll still get their 5 pts for a start. The 7 pts for a win isn't a big enough incentive to grab someone like Giguere for example. And would a goalie that gets pulled still get his 5 pts along with the guy that backs him up?

Assuming the goalie sees about 20 shots, he's going to get at least 25 points just for showing up to play. We could continue to pick apart virtually every number you put up there and have you defend it but the reality is that you're system makes no sense to us but you want to do it that way.

I want to do it in a way that is not conventional and slanted towards high point totals. I want to give players like ales kotalik more value so you build a well rounded team.

What about not awarding a goaltender for playing? Then that only leaves like 3 stats to award. The way I see it, Brodeur is as valuable as toskala and nobakov combined even if they had the same sv%, win los record and GAA because while toskala and nabokiv split games (not due to their lack of ablity of course but you know what I am getting at) Brodeur will get you more games.

How does this look?

Goal: 7

Assist: 5

PIM: 1

+/-: 3

GWG: 15

(if can be recorded at yahoo)

Blocked Shot: 1

Hit: 1

Goaltenders

Game Played: 3

Win: 10

Shutout: 20

The system is still really screwed up.

A goalie plays and stops 20 shots and loses. total = 23 points

A player has 3 PP goals on three shots and ends the night as a -1. Total = 21 points

Who was more productive?

Not to mention that you could end up with two goalies playing the same game.

Okay I see your point.

Perhaps getting lowering shut out and making a goal allowed a negative point value will make it better?

Game Played: 5

Win: 10

GA: -3

Shutout: 5 points

Example...

Goalie makes 23 saves, loses 3-2.

Goalie gets 19 points.

Goalie makes 23 saves, wins 3-2

Goalie gets 32 points.

Goalie makes 23 saves, wins 1-0

Goalie gets 43 points.

Goalie loses 5-3, makes 20 saves

Goalie gets 10 points

Goalie wins 1-0, makes 40 saves

Golaie gets 60 points.

Goalie playes 8 minutes, lets in 3 goals and makes 6 saves.

Goalie gets 2 points.

Does this goalie set up look atleast closer to acceptable?

Ill work on the players a bit and post soon.

Still looks borked to me but I really don't care what you do. Last suggestion change games played to games started.

Goal: 10

Assist: 8

PIM: 1

GWG: 5

Player gets no points, takes 3 shots and has 4 pims.

Player earns 7 points.

Player gets a hat trick, takes 7 shots, 2 pims and nets GWG.

Player earns 43 points.

Player scores a goal and an assist, gets no pims, takes 2 shots.

Player earns 20 points.

Player earns 3 assists and 1 goal, takes 4 shots, gets 2 pims.

Player earns 40 points.

Still looks borked to me but I really don't care what you do. Last suggestion change games played to games started.

What is borked about it.

If you let me know what it is that is looking off to you then I can fix it.

Season end results...

Heatly- 50 goals, 55 assists, 74 PIM, 310 shots, 10 GWG = 1374 points

Crosby- 36 goals, 84 assists, 60 PIM, 250 shots, 4 GWG = 1362 points

Vanek- 43 goals, 41 assists, 40 PIM, 237 shots, 5 GWG = 1060 points

Spezza- 34 goals, 53 assists, 45 PIM, 162 shots, 5 GWG = 997 points

Hecht- 19 goals, 37 assists, 39 PIM, 197 shots, 1 GWG = 727 points

Stempniak- 27 goals, 25 assists, 33 PIM, 166 Shots, 4 GWG = 689 points

Kotalik- 16 goals, 22 assists, 46 PIM, 162 shots, 4 GWG = 564 points.

While points wise Crosby had more, heatly had a much larger amount of shots, GWG and had more PIM. Since Crosby had a decent lead on heatly in points though, the difference in fantasy points is very minimal.

I think it looks a lot better than what you started with. Your goalie stats look better too.

I still think you should look at PPG and PPA as some bonus points. Maybe an extra point or two for PPG and 1 for PPA.

I think it looks a lot better than what you started with. Your goalie stats look better too.

I still think you should look at PPG and PPA as some bonus points. Maybe an extra point or two for PPG and 1 for PPA.

I always like including SHP as well. Those third liners that kill penalties and contribute points on the PK can really change the standings.