Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Iron Maiden

Need Help Buying Goalie Gear

Hi everyone!

i need help, and i need your opinions. i need advice on what pads/blocker/catcher set you all think is a good buy. im playing rec hockey and want good quaility gear. what combo would you recommend on this page?

http://stores.ebay.ca/hockeyplusmore_Goali...QQfsubZ13813275

please let me know what you think, as i am a dumb blonde and dont want to buy the wrong stuff.....34" pads are my size

thank you all so much,

many blessings,

ivana

The best answer would be, whatever fits your body and style the best. I know it's a little cliche, but just cuz someone on here says they like a certain pad, or manufacturer, won't guarantee it will be what you're looking for. Best choice is to go find a Local Hockey Shop, and have them fit you, and try on as many as possible. Saving a few bucks online isn't worth having some misfitting pads that will hinder your game.

yea wex is right. you need to find a local store. I suggest that you work with one person for everything that you need also. It's just easier to work with one person that way you don't have to explain everything to someone else and they already know how and wat you need and what fits and doesn't work for you. just a suggestion though

id go with the itehc 7.8 vamp elite set. they are good durable pads that rotate very well. the gloves are also very comfortable and they offer a lot of protection. dont go with dr, they dont have as much leg protection as the other brands and arent as good.

Uh, how do the DR's have "less leg protection"? They may not be as well-made or durable, but there isn't a pad on the market that any more or less 'protective' than any other. Unless you're getting into pro-stuffed Velos or C-10s with half the thickness of foam shaved off, protection is just not an issue.

Go to a store and try things on. Give yourself a good few hours to compare.

Buy used pro-level gear before new, cheap price-point senior-level gear. Good used gear will *always* outlast and outperform chea new stuff. That said, buy what works for you, not what you think 'should' work. Try, experiment, then decide.

That said, yes, the Itech 7.8s are the best pair of pads on the page you linked to - BY FAR the best.

Is there any particular reason you want to buy from that specific seller?

by less leg protection i meen the knee stacks and thigh boards wont hold your knees as well. if the knee stacks ar lesser quality then your knees will slide and the stacks might not be as thick maybe causing discomfort/pain. some pads are more protective than others. and btw the c-10s are thin but they are better than 7.8s by far and protect the front of your leg just as much. :rolleyes:

by less leg protection i meen the knee stacks and thigh boards wont hold your knees as well. if the knee stacks ar lesser quality then your knees will slide and the stacks might not be as thick maybe causing discomfort/pain. some pads are more protective than others. and btw the c-10s are thin but they are better than 7.8s by far and protect the front of your leg just as much. :rolleyes:

It's all an opinion. I have owned a pair of lower end Itechs and as far as I am concerned their were the worst pads I have ever owned. I got bone brusies around my knees from using those pads. My brother owns an old pair of Chris Mason's Itech 9.8's and they are the best pads I have ever used. You get what you pay for to some extant, but don't just go with Itechs, RBK's, etc. because the pro's use them or someone on this site. Get the best pads that fit you and your budget. Nothing is worse then getting the wrong size equipment or spending too much for the name on the equipment.

Thigh boards don't hold your knees. Knee stacks do. What do you mean by "lesser quality"? D Different densities of foam? Please be more specific.

Also, thicker knee stacks do not automatically mean "less pain". The amount of knee-lift needed is a very personal calculation. No knee-stack is going to be thin enough to cause actual pain when your knee hits the ice, unless 1) your knee isn't in the cradle, or 2) you've removed all the stacks yourself.

The C-10s are not better than the 7.8s. They are completely different pads. The C-10s *might* lay claim to better workmanship, but their long-term durability is not great; hardly better than many well-built mid-range pads. I've seen pairs of Bauer Supreme Seniors that long outlasted Cerberus pads.

I have, however, as I said, seen a pair of Weekes' C-10s that were even thinner than a normal pair; hence my comment about a shaved-down C-10 that *might* have sacrificed a little protection for a drop in weight, or at least an experiment in that. Pros don't always use them, but companies are generally willing to try just about anything to keep them happy - except RBK, for some reason. Lefebvre won't even make Miller's H10/585 pads for him any more, which is why Miller may well be wearing Bauer One95s or Supreme 3s in camp this year.

what i meant by the thigh boards is that they protect your knees not hold em. if they thigh boards are less quality they will swing out of place. if the knee stacks are made with less quality (not as thick) it will put a lot more pressure on your knees. have you ever worn c-10s. i have and know people who did and they are far bettter than the 7.8s though the 7.8s are good. put a pair of dr 5.2s on then put on the 7.8s and call it a "matter of opinion". the 7.8s are flat out better.

what i meant by the thigh boards is that they protect your knees not hold em. if they thigh boards are less quality they will swing out of place. if the knee stacks are made with less quality (not as thick) it will put a lot more pressure on your knees. have you ever worn c-10s. i have and know people who did and they are far bettter than the 7.8s though the 7.8s are good. put a pair of dr 5.2s on then put on the 7.8s and call it a "matter of opinion". the 7.8s are flat out better.

could a argument of preference about a few thin knee stacks or one big rbk come into play? obiously the c-10's are better than the 7.8s. i would say the itech 7.8's are better than the dr's cause ive looked at bolth . its personal preference though

Which is exactly what I said: of those shown, the Itechs are obviously the best quality pad.

They are not, however, anything remotely as good as a used-but-not-abused pro-level pad.

Yes, I have worn C-10s. And C-8s. And C-5s. And C-12s on a demo. And 7.8s. I have not worn the DRs, but I know people who have, and I've handled them. Frankly, the C-10s had an incredibly poorly thought-out and constructed knee landing. It's like three pieces of Wonderbread velcroed to a strip of cheap-grade Clarino. If that's your barometer, you need to look a little more broadly.