Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nsabino

Outdoor Wheels

Hi, I play mostly on concrete surfaces and I'm looking for a wheel that is responsive, good rebound, sticky and durable. I'm wondering what is the opinion with regards to RinkRats outdoor wheel. Major pros and cons are welcome. Another question that I have for playing in the aformentioned surface is, what wheel hardness is best for fast turns, fast stops and decent overall speed? I'm up for any suggestion with regards to any other wheel other than RinkRats. All and any tips are very welcome.

Regards,

Nelson

how finished or rough is the concrete? That by itself will make a big difference in what you can get away with using.

Rink Rat makes a great outdoor wheel, and I think Red Star comes in a really close 2nd. I have a set of 86A wheels from RS that I use on a concrete surface that's much chippier than tennis court.

I think RR Worldcups are the best outdoor wheel, and Hyper Pro 250 are a close second. I know a lot of guys might have that reversed. For me, a 250lb guy, the RR's are more durable, and neither can compete with the responsiveness, rebound, or stickiness of a good indoor wheel. It is the sacrifice we make to play outdoors on concrete.

no yay's for Labeda Asphalt's???

i'm using them now, and have been ok performers. lots of spidering though. but i skate to and from the rink so the pavement is pretty abusive. i do notice that if i have a good head of steam and stopping before the boards the Labeda's give out on me and i always land on my hip. could be me sucking too though :D

just not sure how they compare to the RR WC's or the Hyper 250's.

Smooth concrete, with a light texture and painted on my surface.....and I have been using the Rink Rat MB 816's 76-76-78-78 (all 80mm) has been a great combo for me. I usually get about a season out of them.

Smooth concrete, with a light texture and painted on my surface.....and I have been using the Rink Rat MB 816's 76-76-78-78 (all 80mm) has been a great combo for me. I usually get about a season out of them.

Hi Spreed, you use the softer wheels up front, right?

Thanks, regards

Nelson

alot of people toy with using a softer wheel upfront so they get more grip for push off, then harder wheels in the back for greater top speed. ive toyed with it and liked it, but now im just using all the same hardness. as for outdoor wheels, we sell alot of the labeda ashphalts and havent had any complaints so far, ive also skated on the hyper pro 250's and they lasted me probally 4 months of average use.

Hi Spreed, you use the softer wheels up front, right?

Thanks, regards

Nelson

alot of people toy with using a softer wheel upfront so they get more grip for push off, then harder wheels in the back for greater top speed. ive toyed with it and liked it, but now im just using all the same hardness. as for outdoor wheels, we sell alot of the labeda ashphalts and havent had any complaints so far, ive also skated on the hyper pro 250's and they lasted me probally 4 months of average use.

Yeah...softer up front is the way that I roll. I have had good results with it. The only issue is when I play defense and with all of my reffing, I am skating backwards and doing strong toe push offs and crossovers and wear down the fronts a touch fast, but the benefits well outweigh the cons.

I go through a set of wheel every month or 2 months. I play outdoors on rough NYC hockey rink asphault.

right now I am using Labedda asphault wheels on my front and back, and labedda grippers on my 2 inner wheels. If I use a soft wheel on my front, it will get toasted in 1 game.

any suggestions for me? need durability, would like some grip if possible.

I swear by World Cups for outdoors. Sure you'll sacrifice grip over softer wheels, but they sure as hell dont roll like tanks like all other outdoor wheels do.

I have a set of Revision outdoors wheels on the way, so im curious as to how they stack up against World Cups.

after using world cups, asphalts, and pro 150's, i liked the asphalts the best, believe it or not. although the asphalts don't have the liveliness that the RR's have, i found that the durability was much better long term. once you wore through the first layer of the RR's, it was all down hill from there. stick with single durometer wheels for outside and i found that asphalts worked the best for me.

btw, just for reference, i skate on semi-rough pavement outdoors.

Look at Missions new BSX wheels. They run about 19.99 for 4 (Or thats what we sell them for) and are VERY hard. 83A which is great for outdoor wear.

Mission makes wheels?