Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spreedizzle

Wheel Durometers on Sprungs?

I have my new Sprungs on order right now and would like to have my new wheels here about the same time that the chassis arrives....but I would like a bit of advice on what durometer wheel people find best in the Sprung chassis.

Backgound: Been in Code 1's in the straight 80mm chassis for almost 2 years now and have loved them, thus I am getting the A8 chassis from Sprung. I have been using MB-816's 76-76-78-78 (front to rear) in my Hum'er chassis. My question is with the Sprungs would you recommend this same durometer setup, a single durometer throughout, etc etc?

I have been on this durometer on my court and have loved the setup. I am 5'10" and about 195lbs. Let me know what you think please. I appreciate it.

i would recommend a consistant durometer throughout the frame. think about how the chassis is designed to perform. when you put pressure on the front the chassis is going to absorb that difference and if you have different wheel stiffness from front to back i think there may be to much absorbtion in the transfer of power from your legs to the floor. but then again i feel that the concept behind the sprung frame is rather flawed. when your chassis is not stiff that results in a loss of power. i do feel that this system is extremely effective for skaters that are much lighter in weight. when this is the case the sprung frame is able to do just that, "spring" and this effect is great for cornering and accelerating.

i would recommend a consistant durometer throughout the frame. think about how the chassis is designed to perform. when you put pressure on the front the chassis is going to absorb that difference and if you have different wheel stiffness from front to back i think there may be to much absorbtion in the transfer of power from your legs to the floor. but then again i feel that the concept behind the sprung frame is rather flawed. when your chassis is not stiff that results in a loss of power. i do feel that this system is extremely effective for skaters that are much lighter in weight. when this is the case the sprung frame is able to do just that, "spring" and this effect is great for cornering and accelerating.

They aren't a concept, they are a fact. And another fact is that at least half of our sales are players 180 and above. 220 is totally common. 275 and up aren't common, but we have a few of those, too.

I weigh 160 and use the same durometer front to back. The Hotshots I use are 76 durometer with 76's and 78 durometer with 80's.

Have you used the sprung? It's hardly a huge spring in there -- it actually takes quite a bit of force to get the rockers to give even a little... I'm 230 and I only "spring" when cutting, stopping, or pushing off hard... regular strides and coasting feels like a normal flat frame...

I think there are enough high-level players on MSH alone that endorse the Sprungs to do away with your "rather flawed" claim... it's hardly purported to be a shock system of any kind -- I would, again, dare say that a lighter player would have a harder time getting the most out of the "Sprung effect"...

Also, I use 75a Hyper Trinitys front to back.

So my rationale of using 80mm 78a MB-816's seems correct to you then?? 195lbs

Yep. Those are the wheels I have on my A80's. They're in the Sprung site banner. But the picture has the prototypes on the boots. Last night I finally had a chance to switch to a pair of the real thing. They Are Better Than The Prototypes

A 180 ref used my skates today and is buying some. "WOW! FAST!" is what he said.

http://www.hockeyquest.com has some mediums left, whereas I don't, so if you want some now that's where to get them. Same guarantee, etc.

Did I mention that being heavy doesn't make Sprungs ineffective? Players who have serious weight and skating problems skate better and safer, and with more confidence, when they are on Sprungs. We also have a bud who has tested for us since the model before the closeout A6. He's 275 plus, and skates hard and fast. He loves the maneuverability and speed along with the confidence that he will more than likely miss the wall. He is not overweight, he's BIG and he skates on mediums.

I'll ask him what wheels he's using.

So my rationale of using 80mm 78a MB-816's seems correct to you then?? 195lbs

Yep. Those are the wheels I have on my A80's. They're in the Sprung site banner. But the picture has the prototypes on the boots. Last night I finally had a chance to switch to a pair of the real thing. They Are Better Than The Prototypes

A 180 ref used my skates today and is buying some. "WOW! FAST!" is what he said.

http://www.hockeyquest.com has some mediums left, whereas I don't, so if you want some now that's where to get them. Same guarantee, etc.

Did I mention that being heavy doesn't make Sprungs ineffective? Players who have serious weight and skating problems skate better and safer, and with more confidence, when they are on Sprungs. We also have a bud who has tested for us since the model before the closeout A6. He's 275 plus, and skates hard and fast. He loves the maneuverability and speed along with the confidence that he will more than likely miss the wall. He is not overweight, he's BIG and he skates on mediums.

Sounds good to me. And I appreciate the heads up with regards to hockeyquest....but I ordered my A8's in a large from you earlier in the week. :) Just trying to get everything here in preperation for the Sprungs so I have my total package ready, and all I'll need to do is mount them. Thanks again Keith.

Jay

I played my last season on all 78a Hot Shots on the medium frames (right about 195lbs too), and they worked well for me. I've been wondering if I could step up to 80a, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I definitely wouldn't go down to 76a, myself.

Along the same lines, has anyone gone to a different durometer when switching wheel brands? Do Rink Rats feel softer than other brands at the same rating? Would the 78a or 80a Hot Shots be comparable to a Revision Variant Gold or Bronze?

I had a pair of wicked 3's that I got rid of because they were so painful, but the one good thing I can say about them was the wheels. The rink rat mb816's were great, and I could stop and tight turn no problem without falling.

I've skated on sprungs now for about 10 games with a set of 76a rink rats and I'm doing nothing but falling. Any time I get up to about medium speed or above and try to stop or turn quickly, my feet slide right out from under me. I don't know how many times in the past few weeks that I've gone feet-first into the boards because I forgot that I can't stop on these things. I've been really good about cleaning the dust off of my wheels in between periods and everything.

I'm really pissed that I threw down upwards of $8/wheel and so far they've been total trash. Are my feet sliding because less than all four wheels are touching the ground when I try to stop? I'm 5'10" and 170 lbs with all of my gear on.

I just ordered a set of the 73a hyper trinity from hockeygiant (the cheap ones), so hopefully they will give me more grip. I'll post how they work when I get them.

having never seen you skate...i'm going to think your skating style is still doing what it would on a hi/lo, vanguard, etc..as opposed to sprung...it took me a game or 2 to go out and feel comfortable in them..especially on pivot turns...

my guess(es) would be:

1. you are going upright when turning and putting all the weight on the back wheels

2. your feet are too close together when turning (see #1) and you are just wiping out...

not sure if you play ice.but even on a tight turn with the Sprung's you should be feet paralell with the shoulders and fairly even weight distributed on corresponding edges across the entire turn...

i'm on 78A Rink Rats and they have performed flawless on sport court..even on the supershrunken rink I'm currently skating at..

yeah please let us know