Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

Itech 655TL Shoulder Pads

98-1m.jpg

I play once a week, intermediate calibre you could say. The Itech 655 Techlite shoulder pads retail for $99.99 + tax here in Canada. I was shopping around for a pair of shoulder pads that offered abdominal protection.

Fit: These are the best fitting shoulder pads I've ever worn. All the individual sections of foam fit very snug and comfortably to your upper body. The abdominal protector is also very good. You cannot feel it while you are on the ice. Some lower priced shoulder I tried on in store were literally stabbing me in the stomach. Not one single part of these shoulder pads get in the way while playing.

I do have a problem with getting my jersey over these shoulder pads. It always gets stuck at the shoulder caps.

Protection: Before these shoulder pads, I was using a pair of Easton X-Tremes, which were inexpensive but didn't really offer any protection for the abdominal area. These shoulder pads don't leave anything exposed compared to other shoulders.

Weight: With such a big pair of shoulder pads, I was expecting these to be bulky and heavy. Weight is definately not a factor with all the High Density Foams incorporated into this product. It feels as light, if not lighter, than my previous pair of shoulder pads but offers twice the protection.

Durability: These Itechs have been a tank so far, but I don't think I can give a fair rating for durability quite yet. However, I doubt I will have to buy another set of shoulder pads in the future.

Features: The ICEAIR moisture management system in the lining of the shoulder pads have pros and cons. When you first put on the shoulder pads you notice you are getting really warm. My previous pair of shoulder pads kept me cool throughout. However once you start playing, you don't notice this heat from the shoulder pads. At the end of the game the shoulder pads are kept almost bone dry thanks to the ICEAIR.

The adjustable bicep seems like a pretty simple, but clever design. I didn't need to use it but it's good for people who have have trouble finding a set of shoulder pads long enough for their arms.

The selling point for me was the abdominal protection. As a victim of taking a puck in the stomach, I highly suggest anyone playing hockey to use a set of shoulders with the abdominal protector. I will never go back to my old shoulders after using the Itech 655TL.

Conclusion: Get these babies if you're in the market for a great set of shoulders and you can justify spending $100 on them. This is a great product from Itech and it encourages me to look at more of their protective equipment. I just wish it wasn't so hard to put my jersey on.

9/10