Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GermanRocket

Drill new holes in a Sprung chassi

Hi, is it possible to drill new holes in a spung chassi because in my Rbk 9k boot i have already pre drilled holes whith the Graf RMS screws.

Is there something special, i have to look for if i mount those Sprungs on my boot ?

drill holes in the soles of the boot. if you drill holes in the chassis, it could affect the integrity of the chassis.

wont affect the boots ... if you are worried, you can fill the existing holes of the soles with epoxy.

Yea, I would not drill holes in the chassis, the sole will stand up to multiple holes, the chassis probably will not. You should be able to use whatever mounting method you wish (RMS, rivets, t-nuts, etc.) as long as the shafts are long enough to accommodate the Sprung chassis.

the outsole on my grafs were too narrow in the heel whereas the chassis holes lines up into thin air, i had to drill holes in the chassis. they seem perfectly fine to me, i kept the holes as far away from the original holes as possible and as far from the edges as possible.

the outsole on my grafs were too narrow in the heel whereas the chassis holes lines up into thin air, i had to drill holes in the chassis. they seem perfectly fine to me, i kept the holes as far away from the original holes as possible and as far from the edges as possible.

I've done the same thing in the back on a lot of Grafs and other short or narrow heeled boots. The front mount on the A6 is strongest at the holes. The A8 has a single thickness front plate, and moving a hole a little won't hurt it. But the holes are placed at the most convenient spots for mounting, that still provide the best torque prevention, so moving them might make it harder to line up the mounting machine and maybe crack the frame.

Overall, it's better to conform the boot holes to the frame. If the sole is a mess of holes around the correct spot, copper rivets will do the trick and allow for some movement in the placement.

It doesn't hurt to fill old holes, especially in congested areas. I've even added a layer or two of glass cloth on soles of boots to refresh and strengthen them. Lower end boots with thin plastic soles can be made much stiffer by fiber-glassing the soles. It mostly stops the sole from twisting and stops the frame from digging into the bottom of your foot when you bare down hard.

Lower end boots with thin plastic soles can be made much stiffer by fiber-glassing the soles. It mostly stops the sole from twisting and stops the frame from digging into the bottom of your foot when you bare down hard.

Adding fiber-glass to your own boots doesn't sound very DIY. How would most people get it done?

Lower end boots with thin plastic soles can be made much stiffer by fiber-glassing the soles. It mostly stops the sole from twisting and stops the frame from digging into the bottom of your foot when you bare down hard.

Adding fiber-glass to your own boots doesn't sound very DIY. How would most people get it done?

It is actually very do-it-yourself. You can get all of the materials at an Auto Zone, or other auto parts store. Simply fiber glass pliable cloth that you can cut to any dimensions you would like. Then simply mix the resin and a little bit of hardener (there are instructions on the ratio's) and simply paint the resin into your cloth already in position on whatever it is you are building up. Done all the time in classic car restoration and the exact same process can be done on anything else.

It´s actually a lot harder/stiffer than the wrap of a wood blade.

Is that a little lower grade then the method they used to fibre glass wrap wood sticks?