Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Drewhunz

Easton S17

Reviewer details:

6'5" 270 lbs.

Winger w/ propensity for one timers and snappers.

Stick details:

Forsberg curve

100 flex

stick is uncut and without plug for duration of review

Initial impressions:

Easton has done it again in the looks department. From a purely cosmetic standpoint, this stick looks fantastic and has enough shelf appeal to convince mommy and daddy that this is the best stick that money can buy. Stick is very light but seemed to be balanced in favor of maneuverability, thus making the stick a little blade light. And the flex, my god the flex. I usually work in the 100-110 flex range, and this stick surprised the hell out of me with the first flex. While the 100 flex is definitely debatable (easily a 85-90), the torque and visible flex are definitely along the whippier lines. 9/10

Blade:

With my current position, I was seeing a lot o S17's coming my way with delaminated and broken blades. This was somewhat worrisome, however with my use of the stick, I have encountered no durability issues. However, the blade doesn't feel all that lively to me. Having used 1st and 2nd gen. Stealths, I realize there is a brittleness to them when stickhandling, however the S17 feels more along the lines of dead than brittle. Switching between the S17 and One90, there is a little adjustment period to feel, but not enough to deter me away from using the S17. 8/10

Shaft/Flex:

A truly groundbreaking concept with the elliptical taper zone. The shaft region of the stick has stood up very well with the exception of the graphics as well as the finish. While the stick still is in good shape, the looks of it went to hell relatively quickly. Chipping of the graphics/ clear coat are on par if not a little worse than the Synergy SL. The flex of the shaft is also not my favorite part. The relative flex of the shaft compared with the visible flex of the stick don't seem to match up. Every time you load up on the stick, much more flex occurs in the stick compared to a comparable flex on a different stick. While doing nothing but improving the shot velocity of the stick, the release and positioning of the body needs to be a little further backwards than usual. While not bad, it's another one of those things that you have to be conscious of when initially starting with the stick. 8/10

Feel:

Not a whole lot there. While you have some idea as to where the puck is on the blade, there is some deadness in relation to most other sticks in the same performance range. Although "improved" compared to the 1st and 2nd gen. Stealths, there is still room for improvement in terms of performance vs. tactile feel. 7.5/10

Shooting:

The additional flex mixed with a softer flex makes for some absolute rocket shots. Truly the shining point in addition to the graphics package, the ability for the S17 to transfer energy into your shot makes up for the somewhat dampened feel. My slapshot suffered somewhat, but with the benefits felt in snap and wrist shots, all can be forgiven. I would however, say that my saucer passing has improved with this stick simply with the change in shaft dynamics. 9.25/10

Weight/Balance:

The S17 weighs nothing. If anything, this could be the greatest hindrance. With the stick set up with a slightly shaft heavy design, more focus must be made in order to keep the stick down and onto the ice. While not being a serious issue, it is enough to be mindful of when considering your purpose. For those considered weight whores, it is the ideal stick. However for those who can't tell a 10-20gram difference and instead focus upon more important matters like feel and durability, I could care more about the balance bias than the weight. 8/10

Durability:

If only thew graphics held up as good as the stick so far. This thing looks like it took an express train straight to hell. Nearly 80% of the silver foil on the Easton logo has chipped off, as well as a good portion of the white and blue paint. Blade has remained near its original stiffness, and the shaft thus far has avoided any terminal scrapes or chips. Durability has increased greatly compared to the previous gens. therefore , I have no problems recommending this stick for a long-wearing performance-based stick. 9.25/10

Intangibles:

With the exception of excessive flexing during slap shots, this stick has absorbed any and all abuse that I could dish out at it. Just wish a little more focus could be made on providing a more durable finish to the stick, but this would probably be at the sacrifice of 20 or so grams. Definitely to heavy in the eyes of people wanting one of the lightest sticks on the market. 9/10

Conclusion:

Easton has succeeded in producing a stick with new technologies that strive to break the performance envelope. Like all progress, there are many things that I like as well as some things that could stand improvement for the next variant. Without change there is no progress, and without progress, there is no change. Nicely done Easton for continuing to take risks. 8.75/10

Reviewer details:

6'1" 190 pound HS varsity player

I haven't even discovered my style of play yet, so I mix everything up

Stick details:

Grip version (red graphics)

Forsberg curve

100 flex with 2" cut off, so around 110

Initial impressions:

This stick looks phenomenal, what first drew me to it was how sleek it looked, and the elliptical profile of the bottom of the shaft.

When I held it in the pro shop prior to buying it felt very balanced and light in a good way, when I flexed it a little it felt like a whip, but not so bad it would break easily.

10/10

Blade:

I did hear the rumors of S17s having broken and delaminated blades, but I didn't care because other people told me great things about it. The blade is very hard and doesn't feel the smallest bit brittle or like it would break easily. It doesn't feel slow when passing or shooting either, but it's not the softest for catching passes, so your hands need to make up for it but it's not a problem if you have experience.\

9/10

Shaft/Flex:

The shaft feels good in my hands, and since it's so balanced it feels like it's a part of me. The graphics where your hands frequently touch chipped off after about a month, but it's not really a problem. About the flex, it really feels a lot whippier than you would think, I bought a 100 and cut it down 2 inches, so it would be at about 110, but it feels like an 85, one of my lighter teammates could even flex it pretty good. So make sure you get the right flex. I think the elliptical part of the shaft helps tone down the torque when you take slap shots, and probably wristers and snappers too, but it's a prime breakage spot when you get slashed and any other stress that gets put on it.

8.5/10 whippier standards could deceive people, and elliptical profile is prone to breakage

Feel:

As I said before, it feels like it's a part of me because of how balanced it is, which makes for easier maneuvering if you need to get that tap in when you only have a split second. It's not as easy for feeling the puck, but it's sufficient and still good for stick handling and dangling.

9/10

Shooting:

This stick is great for defensemen because of the advantages when taking slapshots, but it's also good for forwards that take all kinds of shots, including quick releases, one timers, wristers and snappers. My S17 is starting to feel a little slower, but that's because I've had it for like 5 months over heavy usage and it still hasn't broken, but when it was new it was hot and released fast with little to no lag.

8.5/10

Weight/Balance:

This stick is so light it's unreal which makes it much easier to make quick moves with the stick, like dangling through traffic. It honestly feels like I'm not holding a stick when I've been holding it a while.

10/10

Durability:

I've had my S17 for about 5 months and it hasn't broken. It has many scuff marks from tough play and the graphics where my hands touch a lot are partly worn off, and it has lost some of its whip but it is still going pretty strong, and I expect it to last another couple months.

9/10

Intangibles:

If only this stick retained its whip longer and wasn't as prone to breakage at the elliptical profile, nonetheless it was worth the money I paid for it.

7.5/10

Conclusion:

This is a great stick, it might break, but that's the price you pay for one of the lightest most powerful sticks, be careful and you can make it last a couple seasons before it loses its good whip.

Overall Rating: 8.75/10

Reviewer details:

6'0" 135 pound JV High School and play against minor pro players

Offensive D-Man, Playmaker

Stick details:

Non-Grip version

Pro Stock Tony Granato Curve

100 flex with cut

Initial impressions:

Very light stick. The shaft wasn't too boxy in my hands, had great overall balance

10/10

Blade:

Bought this stick at the Pepsi Center and it had a crack in the blade, but i filled it with some epoxy glue and it doesnt crack or give at all like if it was cracked. Very strong, and vibrant feel for the puck. I can really tell when the puck is on it and easily catches passes (or maybe its just me :P)

8.25/10 (only because of the initial crack at the blade)

Shaft/Flex:

The flex is awesome for this pro stock stick. Its as light as the store ones but it seems to be a bit stiffer for a 100 flex. I know it was cut but its just right for me. I can feel it flex in every shot and pass and its forgiving when catching a pass. Not whippy for me at all. The shaft really has a nice feel in the hands while playing and like the previous reviewer said, its like a part of me.

9.5/10

Feel:

The feel for the puck is absolutely amazing with this stick. And its really like its a part of me. You can feel the puck whether you are passing, shooting, or even receiving a pass really well. More so than the ST with Eastons "Shox". This is a major part on this stick for me, and its amazing even with the initial cracked blade, but the epoxy glue fixed that =)

10/10

Shooting:

AMAZING. Thats all I got to say. My slap shot rockets off this stick and it is deadly accurate. My wrist shot are also fast and pin point accurate, same with my snap shots. My goalies all notice the difference in how much harder my shot is from my ST or my One90 and how much im actually hitting their weaknesses a lot more now. An AMAZING shot!

10/10

Weight/Balance:

So light I cant even tell it's really there anymore. Puck management for me is way easier with a balanced, light stick and this has it all! Awesome job on this Easton

10/10

Durability:

Ever since I filled the crack in the blade witht he epoxy glue, its as good as new. I havent heard one crack or anything like that. It doesnt even feel like its going to break anytime soon. Of course there is some paint chipping, but it doesnt bother me.

9/10

Intangibles:

I cant really complain much since i got the stick for $75 and it had a cracked blade, but i would definitely pay full price for another one of these sticks if this one breaks

8/10

Conclusion:

Great stick! I am glad i was able to pick this up for $75 and glad to fix the cracked blade to make it as new. So for about $85 i got basically a brand new S17. This stick is AWESOME! If you have the $$ to get one, I would definitely recommend it.

Overall Rating: 9.25/10

Reviewer details:

6' 230 lbs.

Winger

Stick details:

Heatley curve

100 flex

stick is cut about an inch

Initial impressions:

I think my first impression the stick looked really good. Very Light Feels really good. 9/10

Blade:

The blade felt really good when i first started using the stick, my shots were definately harder and it was very nice at first. The puck felt good on the blade of the stick but towards the end of the first week it felt way too whippy and when i would shoot I didnt like it. 8/10

Shaft/Flex:

The shaft felt really good but the 100 flex cut down about an inch felt really good at first then towards the end of the second practice the stick started to feel really whippy. 8/10

Feel:

I actually liked the feel of the puck on the blade and I liked the way it felt when stick handling and when shooting the puck. 10/10

Shooting:

The stick was definately very whippy for a 100 flex and when I was shooting the puck I was shooting it a lot harder. I usually dont take any slapshots but my snapshots and wrist shots were a lot harder and had more velocity. 9/10

Weight/Balance:

The s17 weight and balance was really nice and i liked it, the lower half of the stick weighed nothing and the rest of the shaft is were most of the weight is. It is light and it feels like you dont even have a stick in your hand. 9/10

Durability:

Ok this is the biggest downfall of this stick in my eyes because I orded a pack of 3 s17s and I had them all broken within a month of playing. the first one I broke the blade within the first week I first took the stick on the ice. The second two broke over the next two weeks one broke while i was taking a snapshot then the next broke in the shaft when I was in front of the net tipping a shot.7/10

Intangibles:

The stick definately flexed too much so i would have to get a higher flex to actually use my normal 100 flex stick because the 100 flex felt like a 75-85 flex, other than that i wouldnt change much. 9/10

Conclusion:

Conclusion is it is a good stick for the time it lasts you, your shots will be harder passes crisper, but when the stick starts to get way too whippy after a little while. They break pretty easy but i think it was worth it because I got each for about 100$ ea. the stick is definately worth it if you are willing to spend the money on them. 8/10

overall. 8.5/10