Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jpeaslee

Stick Wax

I guess i never really thought of it, but what is the purpose of stick wax? Is it just a ice thing, or does it have benefits for roller as well?

so does it grip like tape (same/better/worse?) What is the point of taping and waxing your stick? I've never seen anyone use it in roller before (but the league i'm in is in a tiny city in the middle of south ga). I always thought it had something to do with protecting the wood from the wetness of the ice or something.

I dont know as i have never used it personally. From what I understand is that it prevents ice buildup on the blade and what you said as well. Then again I could be wrong.

I started waxing my blade to prevent ice build up. Now I was for in-line as well because it seems to prolong the life of a tape job.

I use canning wax from the grocery store.

I use it for the same reason. It really seems to cut down on the ripping of the tape during a game.

I found this does nothing really for roller aside from pick up immense amounts of dust... It's use is definitely more beneficial for ice - at least from my experiences with using wax. If you get the sticky wax you dont have to melt it. If you're using some other form, apply it to the taped area and heat it with a blowdryer or heatgun (though this much heat isnt generally necessary).

do you just rub it on and then heat it up?

Yes.....rub it on pretty thick over your tape and then melt it in with a hair dryer or heat gun. I usually throw a second layer on there also....but like others have said, I only do this for my ice sticks.

I've just recently started using wax in the last year or so, and I'm a fan of it now. I thought it was a gimmick before, but it definitely makes my tape last longer, and it keeps ice and snow from building up on the blade as well.

I use it in roller, because sometimes I feel like the fresh tape sticks a little on surface when my stick is down. It doesn't stick to much it effects play, just a feel thing. I just put a thin coat on the bottom right after I tape, to eliminate that.

I never used to tape or put wax on my roller hockey stick blades. But this past year some guys I play with recommended it. I definitely can feel the difference now with puck control that a non taped and waxed stick. I just rub an old candle all over my stick blade over the tape. Definitely has more grip with the puck.

I've never played roller.

I've also never used wax.

I use plain white tape then rub a puck on the bottom edges of the tape job.

It works much better for me, personally, than say, friction tape.

Follow up question to those that wax on roller court: do you find it builds up the wheel shavings onto the blade? I tried it once and this was the result I had and I was just wondering if it had anything to do with the surface I was playng on. It's sport court at Marple Sports arena in havertown PA. I have since switched to the tacki-mac peel on rubber Tape thingy.

I load up on wax on my ice stick and won't play without it. I like it a lot, it seems to wick away moisture and keep the tape job from ripping.

I use mr zoggs sex wax.

I use Mr. Zogs Sex Wax Hockey Formula also. To me, it seems to lessen puck bouncing off of my stick, without making my stick feel dead, and it adds some friction to the tape. It also helps the tape last longer, and smell purty. :D

I find wax is wax...

I usually find some vanilla scented candles around the house and rub that into the tape of my ice sticks...then i blow dry the blade to melt the wax into the tape...

Works great for me and smells so SWEET!

Follow up question to those that wax on roller court: do you find it builds up the wheel shavings onto the blade? I tried it once and this was the result I had and I was just wondering if it had anything to do with the surface I was playng on. It's sport court at Marple Sports arena in havertown PA. I have since switched to the tacki-mac peel on rubber Tape thingy.

It does build up the gunk, depends on how often the rink gets cleaned though. I normally re-tape my sticks every other game anyways so it doesn't really matter to me.