Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raygunpk

Skate stiffness?

I'm 5'11, 160lbs, I've been playing roller hockey competitively for about 2 years and ice for 1. I'm in the market for new blades but I'm just wondering about the stiffness step up from the $150~ blades to the $250~ ones.

From what I gather, the things that more expensive skates have is better bearings, indoor wheels, and more stiffness.

I can understand the first two, but is stiffness directly related to performance somehow? I guess the more stiff it is the less it would hurt to block a shot, but that's all I can think of..

Also, what brand makes the widest blades?

I'm currently in CCM Vector 6.0 for ice, the thing that turns me off about their blades is the wheel setup and how hard it would be to get new wheels. Although this is something I can overlook if they fit the best.

Thanks guys

Stiffness is a pretty big deal, the stiffer the boot the longer it will take to break in and they may hinder your speed/skating ability if you aren't a strong enough skater for them.

Unless I'm mistaken, stiffness primarily has to do with the lifespan of the boot. Obviously, a stiffer boot generally indicates it will last longer. I think making a stiffer boot without adding weight also means they have to use more expensive materials, not entirely sure on that though. I tend to doubt you'll see a huge difference in $100. $200? Probably so :D

You have to look at it the other way around. If a boot isn't stiff enough for you then that's where you run into a lot of problems. The boot will flex and you'll be very unstable and it will dramatically affect your performance. Other than that, the main reason for a stiff boot is that it increases your energy transfer. The skates will respond better to your stride. GXC is also correct that the materials will be a bit lighter. You aren't a heavy skater so most boots will probably be fine for you but if you feel that you are a good skater and have strong legs then a stiffer boot will probably better for you.

this is what i understand.

stiffness = performance.

the more flex in a boot, the more power you lose into the boot.

BUT, if youre not strong/heavy enough to flex the boot, it'll hinder your skating ability.

Its not so much a durabilty thing... as we all know more expensive skates dont always last longer.

Stiffness is a pretty big deal, the stiffer the boot the longer it will take to break in and they may hinder your speed/skating ability if you aren't a strong enough skater for them.

Stiffness and break in time are not connected at the hip. Break in time has more to do with the interior of the boot and how it compensates for the rigidity in the structure. If the rigidity is in the wrong place, and too close to the foot, and hard to bend or break, then you have a long break in period during which you change the shape and surface texture of your foot.

Many of the stiffest boots take very little break in time. Good bone structure.

i baked my wicked 3s with the wheels in, and they were fine.

no need to take the wheels off, unless you want to use them soon.