Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chesterfield12

Baking Skates

Alright, so I need new skates. I went to the LHS a weekend ago, and tried on skates, but I didn't have the money then, and do now. However, I live at college, and when I buy my new skates, I will have my family get them, and then be having them shipped to me.

However, my problem is that I need to bake my skates, but the nearest hockey store, is around 200 miles away. I cant drive that just to bake skates, and I need them baked soon. So, I know it may sound silly, but.... can I bake them in my oven here at college? I know that about 10 years ago, my brother got some Bauer Ice Skates that were 50% off online, so my Dad baked them in our home oven, and my brother never knew the difference.

So, with the skates I'm getting, RBK 8k Resurrektion inline skates, Can I bake them here at the house?

yep, wheels off first is the idea. You'll need to keep them around 185F, convection ovens are prefered. It's actually surprisingly simple.

read it up on the board, there are many threads on it.

One thing I've done it that before you stick the skates in the oven, cover them with a damp cloth. This would prevent them from getting the burns from the metal pan/grill that you place the skates on. And make sure you switch the oven off when you do stick the skates in... i left it on, burnt the shit out of my skates... they were stick structurally ok to use, but the outside was blistered like hell... the abrasion pads looked like melted cheese.

i just tried baking them in my home oven. I have a convection oven and i tried 2 techniques. 1st try: heat oven to 180 F turn off and put skates in oven for 8 mins. I pulled skates out they were barely warm. so i put them on for about 15 mins anyways. second try: i put then in at 180 F for 8 mins while leaving the oven on, they were warm but not hot: left them on for about 25 mins

Skates: tour cobalt 9.9's. Boots are extremely stiff. im not sure any baking technique can fix these boots.

i just tried baking them in my home oven. I have a convection oven and i tried 2 techniques. 1st try: heat oven to 180 F turn off and put skates in oven for 8 mins. I pulled skates out they were barely warm. so i put them on for about 15 mins anyways. second try: i put then in at 180 F for 8 mins while leaving the oven on, they were warm but not hot: left them on for about 25 mins

Skates: tour cobalt 9.9's. Boots are extremely stiff. im not sure any baking technique can fix these boots.

Hi, in that case you've just got bare the pain until they break in the conventional way.

Good luck, regard

Nelson

Get to a Ski shop folks... you only need the inside of the boots heating be it ice or roller... you can use a heat gun to do this (if you're REALLY careful) or also a hair dryer will work but take longer.

If you heat the whole boot up you risk weakening the eyelets and pulling them through the boot as you tightening the laces, happened with three skates that I know of from through friends, one pair I did myself!

Take your wheels off to bake them, as when you put them back on you can be sure that both feet are flat when you sit with them on and wait for them to cool.

Hope that helps people!