Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eddyo57

u+ goalie skates

With your skills and equipment, a couple hours tops. I wouldn't even bother cutting off the tendon guard until you're absolutely sure it would get in the way. I've had my Flexlite boots in RBK cowlings for well over a year now, and the tendon's never been an issue.

Yea, I may just try that. Are you not tying the top 2 eyelets?

I can get a pair of U's for cheapo, but honestly my 9k's are great and I have no real reason other than to save some weight...which my old butt could use for sure.

I tie them all the way up, but then again, the way I tie my skates is completely nuts because of my feet and ankles.

You'll probably have to do a fair bit of dicking around to match the pitch of the boot to the cowling, but again, you've got all the resources you'd need to do that. I had to go around hacking bits out of old tupperware to make my shims, crappy vice, etc. That is by far the most annoying part.

If that's not the most jury-rigged skate I've ever seen, I don't know what it is. It's not a U skate, construction is nothing even close. The CCM and U labels look like they were cut off of something and glued on. The holder looks way out of wack IRT size and the tendon guard seem a bit high. The skate looks like a traditional leather skate as well, looks a lot like a Bauer. Certainly not the direction CCM is going. 09 is the yr for new CCM goal skates, the 3-yr cycle is up, but it's unlikely that's that's going to be a U skate.

Funny, I was dreaming today how I could get a player U skate, cut the tendon guard off and mount it to a RBK cowling.

Hi there,

not to start a argument but this is the actual u+ goal skate that they are making for this year. They have changed alot on this boot with the graphics for one aswell as the volume in the boot.There were alot of things that had to be changed to the u+ player skate which was the fit in the volume and the heel. This boot fits much narrower and shares the same u+ style foam on the inside of the skate to give that true form fit feel. The reason they changed the material on the goal skate compared to the player skate is because they are also changing the u+ player skate somewhat making minor adjustments compared to the one that was released this year. They also wanted to go to a more traditional looking skate and one that would jump off the wall visually and hence the black boot and cowling compared to graf who is making a white ultra G50 goal skate and rbk that from a SMU model called the Talon has a white boot and bauer with there somewhat black coloured boot and cowling. Having an all black boot keeps things simple and different. The boot is one eyelot higher aswell compared too other goalie skates since it is a europen trend thats been slowly migrating over to north america to have a more player style boot put into a goalie cowling. I hope this helped clarify a couple things about this skate

I guess I'm kinda mixed about these skates. At first glance, they looked absolutely awesome. I was going to hold off on getting one95 skates to see what these will turn out like, but after a while, they seemed to get worse and worse. Something about the skate makes it look....cheap? not sure if thats the right word, but it looks like it might take a bit of time for the U+ to develop into something really good. I hope this doesn't come back and bite me in the ass in a couple months when the U+ is everyone's favourite goalie skate!

i really have the feeling that these things will sell almost as well as the 9ks. its not a for sure but it does look like a very solid skate, the only thing that will be discouraging will be the price that is guaranteed to come along with it

im hopin so... i have been runnin my skates ragged while trying to wait for these things to come out. the 9k cowlings like to click and since i let them be for so long without finally putting washers in there they still click a little and the tongues of my very worn in 652 boot are breaking off on each boot. it is truly a site to behold.

Anybody have more recent pics? Or a goalie catalogue we can look at them in?

You can read more about the skates and see more pictures in the CCM catalog posted by JR.

What I'd like to see instead is Reebok goalie catalog...

Cheers

from what i have seen and heard from the guys at my LHS, the skates should be a hit (though a costly one). they look to be amazingly light and even the bauer and graf reps admitted to the boot being a very comfortable fit. obviously i can't tell from experience only word so in no way am i 100% sure on this.

my biggest concern are the cowlings, the blade holders have been nothing but trouble for me and most of my buddies with the RBK's (or reebok more recently). i have the feeling though if i put washers in with the screws, more quickly it could help my problem immensely.

Yup...

Put 6mm Metric stainelss steel washers over the barrel-nuts rather than the screws, and those cowlings behave beautifully.

Thats pretty expensive for a goalie skate, Id wait a bit to see what everyone is going to charge. Did they say how light these skates are yet?

Thats pretty expensive for a goalie skate, Id wait a bit to see what everyone is going to charge. Did they say how light these skates are yet?

Sub 900 grams.