Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

myelinsheath

NEW GOALIE. WHERE DO I START

Hello everybody,

I have a friend who has just started playing hockey and decided he wants to be a goalie. We just play drop in hockey but he would like to learn where to start. he is totally new to hockey.

i was just wondering if there are any drills or tips or sources that could help him understand the position and learn a thing or two.

hopefully if all goes well he will be playing goal in our beginner beer league team next year.

we are in the process of acquiring some used pads. they are an older style pad mid 90's i think and he is probably best suited to playing a more stand up type of game.

any help is much appreciated.

thanks

Anything dryland will be a tremendous help. Even if he is not fully stocked grab a glove, blocker, and stick first and do some dryland. Assuming you play out, you can work on softly picking corners while he works on hand eye coordination and rebound control.

i need help with closing down the 5 hole or going down on the butterfly. what is the proper technique or way to do it without u looking like ur just flopping down onto the ground lol

first off dont strap your pads on too tight, or else when you attempt to go down in the butterfly your pads will end up being flat on the ice instead of on their sides. but other then that it really is as easy as just dropping on your knees and pulling them together. just get a feel for it first, you can work on technique as you progress later on.

also the only person who can ever look like a retard flopping on the ground is dominic hasek lol.

untitled.jpg

LOL thanks that made me feel better haha.

for the pads to rotate properly would it work best if i tie the straps from tightest on the bottom and looser as i work my way up? or is there any other methods

Thats how I put my pads on, and so does the other goalie on our team. I'd play around with it and see whats comfortable to you. Everybodies different.

The best tip I ever got for the b-fly was to drive my knees down, not to just fall down. Try to let your skate blades release as you go down, otherwise you end up with a narrow b-fly. Once you do it correctly you will know what I mean. It keeps your knees togeather and closes up the 5 hole. It is tough to describe but you do not want to slam your knees into the ice. If you watch Price from the Canadiens or Ward from the Hurricanes you will see that they don't just drop into the butterfly.

I guess I'll use this thread to hopefully answer a basic question I have. What is the difference between an intermediate goal stick and a senior? Is it smaller all around or are the paddles much shorter in length?

i would recommend getting used to goalie skates and how to move your feet on the ice ....if you dont know how to move with ur skates goaltending is going to be a problem

I would suggest spend good money on a helmet and a chest protector: you only get one head make sure it is protected. A good mid price but high level mask is a Hackva so look into those. Also if you are looking at a cheap chest protector with a lot of protection I'd suggest to have a look at the RBK Premier 6k version.

Because he's never played hockey, I would recommend these drills in this order:

Dry-land:

1. Standing with goalie gear on in the proper position, holding the stick properly with the blade always down between pads and glove, and holding the glove above waist level, not letting it be lazily held down low.

2. Use the string drill to teach him the concept of playing the angles. Goal tending is all about angles. If you play the angles properly, you won't have to make as many spectacular acrobatic saves. Tie a long piece of string or yarn to each of the four corners of the net and the other side of the strings to something small and heavy like a wrench. Pick a place to stand in front of the net holding the wrench on the ground, pulling all four strings tight, creating visible lines to each of the four corners of the net. Have your friend then stand between you and the net. He will need to experiment moving forward, backwards, left, and right to find a position where he can touch each of the four strings simultaneously. That position is the correct position to cut off the proper angle so that there is no scoring chance. Of course, you will also need to try different positions farther, closer, left and right. This will teach him the concept of not playing too deep in the net. On odd man rushes, advise him to continue to play the angles on the puck handler, and not worry about the forward without the puck, that's the d-man's job.

Ice:

1. Skating with all equipment on. Your balance and range of motion is different when you have all your equipment on. (He needs to be comfortable skating forwards to meet an oncoming forward, and then skating backwards, left, and right as they close in on him.)

2. Practice going down and getting back up quickly. This can be very awkward as your range of motion is limited by the equipment, and getting up on ice is quite different from dry-land.

3. Have all your team-mates take slapshots and wristers at him consecutively so he can practice using his glove. His hand-eye coordination through a goalie mask with pucks rising fast from the ground will be shaky, because there is no other sport with a situation, in which you need to routinely catch a rising object with a raised glove outstretched to the side of you.

4. You can put all concepts together and go through a typical goalie warmup by lining up to take shots at him from every angle. Except he will need to take this seriously. Practice playing every angle. After the shot, he needs to practice covering the rebound or batting it off to the side. If there is a big rebound and he is down, he needs to practice getting up fast to cut off the angle of the location where the puck rebounded to.

Now the only things he will be missing are what come from experience playing the game. It may be very difficult for him to follow the puck. I'm not talking about screens, but just seeing where the puck is at all times as it is passed around the zone. This will come in time, but it's like the first time someone watches a hockey game on tv. They will have a hard time following the puck, but after they understand the game, they can follow the puck second-nature just by looking to see where all the other players are at and how their bodies are positioned and moving.

I hope this helps.

My friend just started goalie to he started out playing hockey in the driveway now hes starting to skate.. I cant wait to tell him these drills.

once he gets the butterfly understood well try to teach him a butterfly slide or show him video's or even buy him a book about goal tending. and when taking shots at him do like 5 in one place then keep switching like corners infront high slot etc. and getting into the butterfly and getting back up quick is important. just teach him the basics get those stuck in his brain so he does not think about anything else :) then slowly advance into some more intermediate stuff