Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chrisg19

Knee Braces and Shin Pads...

I have had 2 ACL surgerys, and now have to wear knee braces when I play. I have pretty big legs, and calfs, add the additional girth of Donjoy braces, and I am having a hard time finding Shin Pads that stay in place. Just wondering how anyone else has gotten around this. Currently I have had to resort to wearing Mission Fuel 85's, but they are hugely wide. Was wondering if there was something a little less bulky that did not interfere with bracing. Thanks for any suggestions.

Fuel 85's were EXACTLY what i was going to recommend. The only reason i ditched mine was they were too short. I just got a pair of RBK 5k's that work fine too. Less bulky but still enough room for my brace. Also the removable pad is kinda thick. I'm sure if you needed to open up a little more space you could modify/cut it a bit to get some more room.

Heres a suggestion on having bulky shin pads over the knee braces. I have some really old neoprene knee guards, over time they have stretched out a little. I now use these over my shin pads instead of taping the shin pads up. They stay in place very very well, and force teh shin pad to 'hug' the knee brace and leg more. It does get a little hot, but in my opinion works much better than tape.

You should go to your LHS w/ your knee brace and try on whatever they have. I have found that the Jofa/RBK pads work well w/ my CTi2 brace. I just bought a new pair and had to do some minor surgery to them but they fit great now (took the foam knee pad out since I have a patella cup attached to the knee brace). Also another thing to keep in mind, you can always widen the shinguard a little w/ some heat and pressure, I know that works well to free up an extra 1/2" or so of clearance side to side.