Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AWE46M3

Dremmeling outsoles for Hum'er chassis

Are there any ill-effects of dremmeling my boot to accommodate the Hum'er chassis to run all 80s? I have a pair of Vapors and have noticed that the bottom of them is already cut out in two places and I know I would need to dremel about another 3/4" toward back and 1/2" toward the toe.

I saw in the ice/inline conversion thread someone used epoxy to fill those holes on his Vapors but how much would this actually help prolong the life of the skate?

I almost dont see what the issue would be because as is, the insole does not look to be directly connected to the outsole and even with the ice holders on there, those holes still exist in the two spots. All I would be doing is making those holes a little bigger.

I dont mind doing the epoxy thing to try to prolong the boot's life, but then again, I dont want to do it for no reason.

Any thoughts?

the guy who did mine added plastic lifts between the chassis and the outsole. I have ccm v08's and the bottom is pretty thin so I don't think he could have dremmeled it. its worked out great so far and i'd recommend doing it if you haven't already dremmelled. theres a pic in the hi-lo to hummer topic.

^^^ Thought about the lifts but then I kind of thought that defeated one of the purposes of the Hum'er, the lowered center of gravity. The Vapors I had them mounted on were already somewhat cut out so I only had to grind away a about 1/4" for the front and 3/4" or so toward the rear. They've been mounted and have no issues and so I'm just hoping no damage was done to the boot. Though, if there was damage done, it'll just give me an excuse to get another pair and try a Vanguard set up... haha

I dremmelled my XXVs about a year and a half ago, just taking a little bit off for the 2nd wheel. Mine have held up great, no signs of any structural damage at all.

I dremmelled out a pair of CCM 992 Super Tacks and have skated over 25 games or so on them with no ill effects. I play between 2 and 4 times a week and no issues as of yet.