Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TLR156

Catcher question for a goalie friend

A friend of mine has been playing roller with an Itech X-Wing 7.8 catcher for awhile. He recently found a "deal" on the 12.8 pro version for about $275. After receiving the catcher (which showed up in the wrong color scheme) we started comparing it to his 7.8 & it seemed that it really wasn't any larger, & didn't have a deeper pocket, or anything like that, just that it seemed to be built a bit nicer, & had a larger cuff. We also noted that the web-site pictures show a "double-strap" pocket (like his 7.8 has), & that the 12.8 that arrived had a wider single strap pocket. (sorry if my terminology is wrong, I'm no goalie)

Basically he was pretty disappointed in it, I think he expected it to be larger overall, & with a deeper pocket (not to mention, they sent the wrong color).

Is there typically a size difference in catchers of a higher or so called "pro" grade?

If so, is there a different model he should be looking for?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine has been playing roller with an Itech X-Wing 7.8 catcher for awhile. He recently found a "deal" on the 12.8 pro version for about $275. After receiving the catcher (which showed up in the wrong color scheme) we started comparing it to his 7.8 & it seemed that it really wasn't any larger, & didn't have a deeper pocket, or anything like that, just that it seemed to be built a bit nicer, & had a larger cuff. We also noted that the web-site pictures show a "double-strap" pocket (like his 7.8 has), & that the 12.8 that arrived had a wider single strap pocket. (sorry if my terminology is wrong, I'm no goalie)

Basically he was pretty disappointed in it, I think he expected it to be larger overall, & with a deeper pocket (not to mention, they sent the wrong color).

Is there typically a size difference in catchers of a higher or so called "pro" grade?

Not at all. If anything, a glove that conforms to NHL specs (45" perimeter on the glove, 8"x15" blocker inclusive of binding) will be significantly smaller than the old Senior size (48" perimeter on glove, something absurd like 9"x17" on the blocker exclusive of binding).

The only differences between a Senior-grade (not to be confused with Senior-size) and Pro-grade glove are to be found in the quality of construction and materials.

If so, is there a different model he should be looking for?

The Itech 9.8 had a proportionally deeper pocket at NHL-spec sizes than most of their other gloves; it was more or less in line with other 'deep' gloves like the TPS Bionic and Summit or the Vaughn T5500.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Just FYI, what you call the 'straps' in the pocket are generally referred to as the 'T' or 'Tee', which is the whole T-shaped assembly that is laced into to the glove to form the pocket. A double-T has two 'straps'.

It sounds like in your friend's case they completely sent the wrong glove: IIRC, the stock 12.8 did indeed have a double-T, and the colours being wrong is grounds for him to return it at their expense. I may be confusing the 11.8 and 12.8 with respect to the double-T (I don't know the Itech line terribly well, though JRZ does make lovely gear), but the colours alone are enough for a return.

Thanks for the info, LG.

Do you have any other recommendations for larger / deeper pocket gloves? What do you use?

Thanks again.

I use an Intermediate Pro Bionic (which is basically the same as a current NHL-spec glove), though Bionics are pretty heavy and hard to find now. Any of the others I mentioned (Itech 9.8, TPS Summit, Vaughn T5500 or maybe the Epic) would be a good call for a deep pocket. Af far as a physically larger glove, just look for *non*-NHL spec Senior Pro gloves, and you'll be in good shape. If you can find a Brian's A-Maxx, grab it; that thing was massive. You could eat a baby with the pocket.

I use an Intermediate Pro Bionic (which is basically the same as a current NHL-spec glove), though Bionics are pretty heavy and hard to find now. Any of the others I mentioned (Itech 9.8, TPS Summit, Vaughn T5500 or maybe the Epic) would be a good call for a deep pocket. Af far as a physically larger glove, just look for *non*-NHL spec Senior Pro gloves, and you'll be in good shape. If you can find a Brian's A-Maxx, grab it; that thing was massive. You could eat a baby with the pocket.

Again, thanks for the info, I'll pass it on.

2tup.gif

I use a TPS Xceed pro glove, and I've been told by many people that my pocket is amazing. I'll put up some pics soon if you'd like.

Something like So...?

Keep in mind that many of the smaller builders can and will put a deeper pocket into a glove, if that is what a person prefers. Even the big guys often have options for this, at least on the their top of the line products. Another option is to have the T replaced.

::m

Have you tried stretching/shaping the pocket? There are massive amounts of information on how to stretch a trapper. I have never used itech gloves and don't know how they come brand new.

I use Sherwood C10 Pelican and it is the best glove I have tried. Sucks up pucks like a magnet.

My regullation size is an Eagle Sentry Pro that is not as big, but, after some stretching I don't have too many pop-outs anymore.