Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bold

Smith 6000 line

When I first looked at the graphic, I was not sure what to make of it but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Much as I admire Pete's work, I have a few concerns about this pad.

First off, why bindingless? It seems to be a purely aesthetic decision: it doesn't decrease pad weight significantly, it doesn't make the pad easier to build, and it doesn't appear to offer any benefits in the function of the pad (sliding, flexibility, etc.)

Secondly, if there is a problem at some point - a seam breaks, a skate-tear, whatever), opening the pads for repair is now a MUCH more expensive and difficult job. With a traditional pad binding, you can open and close the pad yourself along the bindings with a seam-ripper and a sewing awl; a shop can do it even faster; in either case, the pad only has to be opened a little. With bindingless pads, you generally have to take the whole thing apart.

Now, of course, if Pete has incorporated some kind of genius 'bindingless access' back-door into the pads, terrific. I wouldn't put it past him - he really is a great builder.

My last concern follows on the prior. On every pair of pads I've ever seen (exception those with huge manufacturing issues) the first place to wear is always the same: the binding-cover on the inside of the boot. On traditional pads, this binding-cover (usually Jenpro, usually just called a 'binding' as well) is a nothing repair: few bucks for the material, maybe ten minutes per pad for a skilled repair. With a bindingless pad, who knows - but the wear-point will be the same.

As I implied before, I'm *positive* that Dr. Smith wouldn't have released a pad with issues of workmanship. He's too gifted a craftsman for that. My sole concern is that nobody has had a bindingless pad in the world for long, so it's something of an experiment. The Bauer One95 is only partially bindingless, and it's had a so-so record - though it's a step down from Smith in build-quality. More than anything I'm interest to see if he built in solutions to these apparent problems, or whether he simply built his way around them.

For one thing, I've always noticed that when a binding-cover on the toe of a pad wears through, it inevitably happens where the binding inside has rubbed through the cover against the ice. I always assumed that was a fact of doing business, and that those binding-covers were simply disposable. Maybe the Smith 6000s have solved this by simply not having a structural binding behind the medial Jenpro surface of the boot...

Just as a follow-up, it seems that Smith has filed a patent for his bindingless toe/boot design, and possibly a comprehensive patent for a bindingless pad. Considering that he didn't do this for the sliding toe-bridge (which is now widely used) because he didn't consider it worthwhile to enforce, there are likely, as I speculated, some very significant and innovative under-the-hood changes in basic design of the pad. I'd be willing to bet that he has in fact solved the toe-wear problem, and possibly the perennial problem of pads catching or dragging on the bottom medial edge.

Of course, we won't know what these are until Smith's patent goes through, or someone does a really thorough on-ice review followed by a tear-down on their brand-new pads.

how often do you think those buckles need to be replaced? i had a few on my vaughns and i needed to buy new ones once or twice a month.

You mean the quick-release acetal ones? That's really odd - I've never broken one. IIRC, Smith uses the Rock Lockster ones from National Moulding, and they're damn near indestructible.

They'll probably be fine. If those break too, you can find much more durable replacements at outdoor/climbing supply stores like MEC or REI.

The ones that TPS, Smith and Battram use are extremely high-grade.