Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rollerskater92

New Goalie Mask

Not worth the money.

It's had a horrible durability record and the shell is of very poor quality. It beats an Itech 1200 or a low-end Olie, but only just. Both the Hackva and the Sportmask are vastly preferable.

ok thanks, what size would you recommend for the hackva for a 21 and 5/8 inch measured head? Its my younger brother and he is still growing so I want it last as long as possible, but still fit fine from the beginning.

Just look on Hackva's website; they have something like seven different shells sizes correlated to a table of head measurements. Failing that, call Gabe. He's very helpful.

If you have any questions email. Info@hackva.com. I thin it is his wife Cindy. She wass really helpful when I bought my texilum

One other thing I should mention re: Sportmask is that the Razor & Ricochet are being gradually phased out in favour of the X8, which is going to be their entry-level mask for some time to come.

Still, between the Sportsmasks, Hackva and the Eddy GT's, there's good protection and value in a variety of shell-shapes to be had at the retail entry-level. A little bird called Tony Jarrett has also been hinting that the much-acclaimed NXI Phantom may yet be resurrected through a new company after Quantum decided not to produce their version of it. That seems to be very much up in the air at the moment, but it would certainly round out that segment of the market.

NXI will be continuing on but under the name of 21 Degrees. It is now under new ownership and I actually just met with one of the owners today to look at the new mask. It is going to be around the same price as the phantom and very similar (same parts and cages etc.). Cosmetically it is a little different and they did widen out the chin to make it more accomodating for bigger heads. If anybody out there does need replacement parts for there old NXI phantom Kevin at 21 degrees is continuing to cut liners and make cages for the old masks (I can have them shipped out to you). Anyways hope the info helps.

Great news - thanks drew.

Did 21 Degrees actually purchase NXI as a company, or did they buy the rights to the Phantom design? Not that it makes a tremendous difference, in the end; I'm just curious.

They purchased the rights to make the mask (not the actual company). The prototype looks good and hopefully everythig will be rolling out soon.

does anyone have an old goalie mask they want to sell? I'm going to be a third string goalie (but will play drop in occasionally) and the gear that the rink has alright, except that the mask is wayyyyy too small.

Have a budget in mind? I have a couple that I'm thinking of clearing out of my collection and perhaps there would be a match.

::m

on a real shoe string budget to be honest. I've been asked to play between the pipes every once in a while, and can live with the gear at the rink... only thing is that the helmet is wayyyyyy too small, kinda feels like putting my head in a vice.

PM-ed you

I wouldn't be too quick to accept LukeD's findings. Bear in mind, I am the last person in the world to defend the administration and culture at GSBB.

That said...

Neither LukeD nor anyone he consulted has any knowledge of mask construction. He's comparing the mask to motorcycle helmets and tour bike frames: apples to oranges. The support he got in the thread from two of the most respected mask-makers in the business was lukewarm at best.

No information was provided about how the mask was obtained, beyond the fact that it came from an unknown dealer. It is fully within the realm of possibility that an unscrupulous dealer did sell someone a prototype mask that was for display purposes only, or that a dealer sold it to someone with that explicit caveat (ie. "just hang it on your wall") and said someone used it on the ice. Given Luke's extremely limited hockey background, that would not surprise me.

Nor is it particularly clear why the mask came to him. As he himself says, he's not a mask-maker. The most I could glean is that some friend or acquaintance of his thought that because he did some bike and autobody work he'd be able to fix a goalie mask, and that Luke would do it gratis - and that says something about the friend's level of hockey knowledge and his level of investment in protection.

Do I think Luke is just making trouble, in the great tradition of 'mask wars'?-- absolutely not. He seems to genuinely believe he's uncovered something. I'd just not sure that he's uncovered anything other than a bad situation.

I will say that a great many people I respect and trust have been wearing and selling Sportmasks for a long time. Personally, I can't get one to fit, and that's 90% of the point of a mask. Is it possible that Sportmask, like Eddy, are no longer really in the top tier of retail mask-making? Perhaps, but then neither is Itech.

And FYI, the reason Tony Priolo would have warranteed that mask - despite Luke's seeming disbelief - is because he clearly wouldn't want a prototype mask on somebody's head. The insurance implications would not be fun, even though it wasn't the company that sold the mask directly to the consumer.