Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GBX2006

buying skates in MA or ME

Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone knows of a good place to buy higher end roller hockey skates near Boston, pure hockey doesn't really carry too many. Im going to be in Maine this weekend , so if anyone knows of a good place near Portland I'd appreciate the knowledge.

Things may have changed since I lived there, but there never was much roller hockey around Portland. I doubt you'll have much luck there. If you're looking for any ice sticks/equipment, Play it Again Sports has the best selection that I know of in/around Portland. It's owned by hockey guys (good guys, too). Probably still your best bet for anything roller hockey in Portland. I'd just give them a call to see if they carry anything close to what you're looking for before going.

315 Marginal Way

Portland, ME 04101

(207) 773-6063

It's on Marginal Way, which runs roughly parallel to I-295 (the 4 lane highway that goes through Portland). Take a left at the first light off the Marginal Way exit. If you're coming from the south, it's tough to get across if there's any traffic at all. May have to take the immediate right onto Marginal way, then turn around in a parking lot to get going the other way.

Good luck!

Go to Cooke's in Wilmington MA and just get a custom roller setup. They will trade out the blade and holder for the labor it takes to mount the roller chassis. There is no good shop around to try out roller setups so you might as well go custom with one you can try out and bake in the store. You might score some of last years leftover ice skates for cheap.

Ray is right. Slim pickings (if any) for high end inline skates in the MA area. I'd suggest Ray's route (custom) or trying on a lower end boot for size purposes.

If you do go with Ray's suggestion, I'm not sure if Cooke's keeps a stock of chassis but I do know that Zwickers usually has a stock of chassis kicking around which you could pick up for a possible conversion.

Yeah I should have mentioned Zwickers as well. Another great shop. Cooke's usually doesn't have chassis in stock, but they can order them for you. if they have anything they'll have a Mission Vangaurd or the like. They won't mind/charge you more if you bring in your own. I had them mount sprungs for me back when I was trying those out. The nice thing about the good local shops (I know from experience with Cooke's) is that they bake each pair of skates you try out and give you a ton of great customer service.