Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dcdot377

C/A advice

I am looking to spend no more than $350 on a Sr. CA. I know this isnt alot but figured it would be worth trying before i spend all of the money i don't have. I was at the LHS today but there selection is limited. What do you guys think about my options and such? Note: I am hesitant to buy one that i have never tried ie Brown. I have nothing against the company but I can be pickey sometimes when it comes to feel. Thanks

I am using a Koho 700 Pro, which was $290 at GM when I got it. I have been happy with it, and the only bruises have been somewhere I do not believe any C/A covers (underside of the arm).

My one concern is that it may lack in padding which wraps around the side of the ribs, but, other than that, I have been very happy with the unit and feel it was a good buy for the price.

As to the 680 - I believe it is the same as the 700 with a color change. I am not entirely positive on this but, having held the two of them next to each other it was the only difference I could see.

Not trying to be a dick here, but if you're not keen on any brand you haven't tried, what are our opinions worth? Or are you just saying Brown is out, but everything else is fair game?

It's not that I am against Briwn it's that I haven't dealt with that stuff and I am more comfortable in a Vaughn or Reebok or Brians or whatever

So you're comfortable in Vaughn, Reebok, or Brians, or whatever, but what's "whatever"? Sherwood? Itech? NBH? What about Miller or Battram (or Simmons for that matter)? Let us know what brands you are comfortable with and we can give you some feedback.

NBH, SWD, Itech and other what you might call "major" brands that they carry in the LHS. Miller, Battram, and Simmons I would need to see first. As far as I know they do not sell thoes brands in any LHS near me.

The argument put forth often here is that is normally better to get a used pro model than a new senior model. But, by the sounds of you'd rather buy new. With that in mind, I've found my RBK Xpulse 6.0 to be fairly satisfactory. It's made for the more mobile goaltender, and I've only felt on stinger (on the upper arm) since I've owned it. Lots of strapping options and work tucked or untucked.

Get yourself a Simmons Matrix 3 or a 994. They are pro level C/A and are in your price range. I have the Matrix 3 and it's a very nice C/A. Coming from a Senior level CCM, that one is eons ahead of the CCM in terms of protection. It is based on the RBK models. It is pretty mobile out of the box but once it's really broken in, it's really mobile. If I were you I would avoid Brown in your research because they are way over your budget. A Pro quality Brown C/A will run you at around 700$, give or take a little. You may want to check out McKenney also. They build some very solid C/A and are distributed in stores. Just hop to their website and search to see if any of the stores in your area carry their brand. If you can, stay away from senior models as they don't protect as well for the most part and will more than likely not last as long as a Pro model.