Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

littlehockeymatt

Bearing cleaning help

Ive been putting wd-40 into my bearings, but i just read some where that it damages your bearings. My bearings dont have removeable shields, so does wd40 mess up your bearings? and whats the best way to clean your bearings if your shields dont remove? thanks for feed back

WD 40 is absolutely the wrong thing to put in your bearings, as it dissolves the grease necessary for the bearings to spin freely. Bearings are cheap enough to just replace, rather than clean and deal with opening and all the related nonsense.

Matt, are you sure the shields aren't removable? On top of the shield around the very edge, pinned between the lip of the bearing and the shield, there should be a thin metal ring. Get a pin and run it around the lip of the bearing. You should catch the opening of this ring. Use the pin to pry out the ring; be careful, they can be kind of "spring loaded" and pop off across the room. The shield should just fall off after that.

If they're 100% definately not removable, I don't think there is much you can do.

Once you have the ring and shield off, apply bearing a couple drops of bearing lubricant to the open space. Spin the wheel a little to distribute the lubricant. Reattach the shield, don't forget to put the metal ring back on.

If there is actual dirt/dust/grime in the bearing, you can soak them in citrus cleaner, and kind of shake them around to bang out any chunks. Let them dry all the way, use a hair dryer to speed up the process. I'd be wary of using a heatgun, because those things get serious hot. Leaving any cleaner in will make your lube break down faster, so get them all the way dry. I barely ever use the cleaner. Once the cleaner is all dry, re-lube as stated above.

I don't know how much $$$ you guys roll with, but I certainly can't afford to replace bearings every month or sooner. You're better off spending a little more on good bearings and taking care of them, than you are continually buying cheaper lower end stuff.

Things not to do:

wd-40: This can actually attract dust to your bearings if any gets outside of the bearing.

wipe them down with a wet towel: No idea why people would think putting water on bearings is a good idea, but I've seen it done/recomended. Also, only wiping the outside can put dirt inside.

Matt, are you sure the shields aren't removable? On top of the shield around the very edge, pinned between the lip of the bearing and the shield, there should be a thin metal ring. Get a pin and run it around the lip of the bearing. You should catch the opening of this ring. Use the pin to pry out the ring; be careful, they can be kind of "spring loaded" and pop off across the room. The shield should just fall off after that.

If they're 100% definately not removable, I don't think there is much you can do.

Once you have the ring and shield off, apply bearing a couple drops of bearing lubricant to the open space. Spin the wheel a little to distribute the lubricant. Reattach the shield, don't forget to put the metal ring back on.

If there is actual dirt/dust/grime in the bearing, you can soak them in citrus cleaner, and kind of shake them around to bang out any chunks. Let them dry all the way, use a hair dryer to speed up the process. I'd be wary of using a heatgun, because those things get serious hot. Leaving any cleaner in will make your lube break down faster, so get them all the way dry. I barely ever use the cleaner. Once the cleaner is all dry, re-lube as stated above.

I don't know how much $$$ you guys roll with, but I certainly can't afford to replace bearings every month or sooner. You're better off spending a little more on good bearings and taking care of them, than you are continually buying cheaper lower end stuff.

Things not to do:

wd-40: This can actually attract dust to your bearings if any gets outside of the bearing.

wipe them down with a wet towel: No idea why people would think putting water on bearings is a good idea, but I've seen it done/recomended. Also, only wiping the outside can put dirt inside.

thanks for all the help. I just checked i dont think there removable. So im just going to get bsb swiss light bearings

I dont know if bevo abec-9 (608) bearings removable.

if you have thse, or know how to remove the shields please tell me how.

Theres a little C clip that holds the metal sheilds in place. if you can get a needle or little pliers and get the C clip off then the shield will come off, it might be tricky but just keep going for it. For cleaning get 91% rubbing alcohol and put it in a cup and put your bearings in there, let them dry, go to walmart or something in the sewing section and get sewing machine oil and put some drops of it in there.

If you cant figure it out you can come over and we can clean them or next time we have hockey