Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

f2racer

Would a recent low-end inline skate outperform my 1995 Bauer H3s?

I recently began playing (ice) hockey after a 20 year hiatus. In fact I was still using my Micron 10-90s, until this year when they finally fell apart. I'm looking to start inline skating again in order to work on strength and endurance (and possibly play some hockey). I bought a pair of Bauer Hockey 3s (H3s) back in 1995, but have only sparingly used them over the years due to work/kids/etc. I went out for a short skate and they felt OK, but felt like bricks compared to the CCM U+ 09s I'm using on the ice. I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should spring for some new skates. My budget is limited, so my question is would a low-end skate (like the Mission BSX/CSX/DSX) outperform my H3s (they were pretty low end back in 95)? Or would I be better off getting some new bearings and wheels for my H3s?

Thanks!

Great question. Essentially all Inline skates feel like bricks compared to top end ice skates. The weight difference (due mainly to component differences) is massive. Block that out but, its all just immaterial as inline has heavier skates and thats that.

I recommend getting into your LHS, trying on whats available in your budget and get something thats comfy and light. Odds are the newer gear will out perform your older stuff, but if you are an amazing skater, your gear won't effect your ability all that much, you will still be amazing even in a pair of mid 90's skates.

Try something new if you like it and if it works keep going, if not, you can go back to your old true and tested mid 90's skates.

newer inlines will be better than the old H3, That was my first pair of actual inline hockey skates back in the mid-90s and the glaring issue I remember is frame flex on the white plastic frames those came with. Weight will always be more with an inline skate vs ice.

newer inlines will be better than the old H3, That was my first pair of actual inline hockey skates back in the mid-90s and the glaring issue I remember is frame flex on the white plastic frames those came with. Weight will always be more with an inline skate vs ice.

Did the H3's have a black plastic frame option as well? I had a pair back in the day but I can't remember if they were H3's or H1's. Any newer skate that fits your foot properly will be better than these.

Yes my H3's have the black plastic chassis. I decided on trying out some new wheels/bearings, but only hours after I placed an order from Pleasure Tool, a new pair of Mission BSX's came up in my size on eBay. So now I've got both...

inline_01_640.jpg

The new wheels/bearings on the old Bauers are great. Up until now, I've had the original wheels on the skates (they have Bauer Roller Hockey printed on them). Even though the wheels (the same as Hyper Fat Boy) are harder than the originals (80A vs 78A) the ride seemed softer and the bearing upgrade (ABEC 5 vs ABEC 1) really made a difference on the glide. I'm really happy with the upgrades on the old skate.

I'm kinda mixed on the new Missions. I've taken them out for two 15 minute outings and the skates fit my feet great. My feet are wide both in the fore- and mid-foot and I've always had to contend with pain with my ice skates, but the Missions seem to fit relatively well. They're super supportive around the ankle (likely 2x as stiff as the old tech / worn Bauers). Tongue seemed pretty thin, not as thick as the Bauers and nowhere near as thick as my current ice skates, but this didn't seem to be an issue. Problem is the stock wheels SUCK. Feels like I'm skating on marbles, and although the bearings seem to spin forever if I spin the wheels off the ground, on the road they don't seem to glide nearly as long as the new wheels/bearings on the old Bauers. I hope that this is because everything is new and as things get broken in it'll feel smoother and glide better...

OF COURSE NEW SKATES will outperform those things from 1995. The technologies and materials have improved IMMENSELY over the years. However, if you like Bauer skates, stick with them.

There are some pretty cheap new Bauer models out that you'll probably like for under $150.