Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oykib

Advice on a new glove

I thought I would ask a couple of questions as I haven't been able to keep up with new numbers and what not. I have used several Vaughn gloves over the year and a couple Heaton, and Louisville as well. I have smaller hands and have had to buy pro-spec gloves just for the protection. I feel it has effected my trapper with closing in the past.

I am currently using a TPS bionic glove and it is an intermediate size so it fits perfectly and has some good protection. I would like some suggestions on gloves with their model numbers so I can get a intermediate size for my hand but need a lot more protection. Does anyone know of a pro-spec glove with an intermediate hand size?

I'm not sure what you mean by intermediate "hand size," because the straps can always be adjusted if there is extra room internally.

As for your Bionic, the old intermediate size is pretty much the same as the new pro spec size. As far as new gloves, the TPS Summit 7 is probably most similar, though not exactly the same. You could also look into the Vaughn Epic 8800, or 5500, which are similar "catching style" gloves. I am partial to these as well and found the Bauer Supreme line pleasant as well (past models, so unsure on the current One95, or the new 100 which isn't out yet). I also just picked up an Eagle Sentry 2 Pro from GoalieMonkey and it's very similar to those.

I'm not sure what you mean by intermediate "hand size," because the straps can always be adjusted if there is extra room internally.

As for your Bionic, the old intermediate size is pretty much the same as the new pro spec size. As far as new gloves, the TPS Summit 7 is probably most similar, though not exactly the same. You could also look into the Vaughn Epic 8800, or 5500, which are similar "catching style" gloves. I am partial to these as well and found the Bauer Supreme line pleasant as well (past models, so unsure on the current One95, or the new 100 which isn't out yet). I also just picked up an Eagle Sentry 2 Pro from GoalieMonkey and it's very similar to those.

I bought a Vision blocker off GoalieMonkey thinking it was like the one I bought back in 95'. Back then the Vision was top of the line but this one was more suitable for roller hockey.

When I refer to intermediate size, think of fitting your hand into a baseball glove that is way to big. A lot of the gloves I try on extend way past my hand and feels flimsy and I don't have a lot of control.

I recently tried on the 7300 and I liked the feel but I am not sure about the padding.

Oyk, that's uncanny -- I'm using an Int. Bionic myself right now, and I'm just starting to look for a replacement. That's a pretty tall order, as you know, given how close to perfect a glove the Intermediate Bionic was.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

TPS will not make you another Bionic, NHL-spec or otherwise. Full stop. I've asked absolutely everyone, and Dave Wilcox won't do it unless your last name happens to be Roloson.

However, the new R10 glove is the closest thing to a Bionic TPS has made in years. They started going a little bit away from the principles Dr. Kleinert worked out for the Bionic from the X-Lite through the Summit line, and the R8 was almost unrecognisable. The R10 is apparently a major return to the Bionic, especially in the ulnex padding, the backhand strapping, the thumb-angle, and the structure of the break.

My advice would be to try on an R10 glove, and if you like it, maybe order it with an extra inch of length on the Tee - that should give you the feeling of being back in your old Int. Bionic, complete with the monster pocket.

If, however, you want a glove that's almost an exact copy of the Bionic *and* custom-made to your hand, there's a little-known Ontario company called Boddam that can do the job. Their Liberator glove is a rebuild of the Bionic with lighter materials, and it's apparently pretty damn close. I've never held one, but people who clung onto their Int. Bionics have given them up for Boddam gloves with no disappointment. As an added bonus, because the glove will be a one-off for you, you can send them a couple of traes of your hand to build the glove around.

Thanks for the advice. If I go the custom route I will probably head over to Don Simmons. I have seen his work and it is outstanding for a fraction of the cost.

Thanks for the advice. If I go the custom route I will probably head over to Don Simmons. I have seen his work and it is outstanding for a fraction of the cost.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe Boddam still does much of the work under the Simmons brand. I know that Boddam used to make almost everything for them, and that Simmons now has more of it is being done in-house; I'm sure you'd be able to try on a Liberator catch at the DS store.

edit:

The other thing you could do is mail your Bionic off to Sara at Protective Athletic Wear (PAW), and have her do a complete refurbishment. She'll take the entire thing apart, clean it, replace anything that needs replacing, put on new bindings and re-lace it all back together. I'm not sure if she's ever worked on a glove as complex as the Bionic, but I've never heard anyone speak ill of her work.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe Boddam still does much of the work under the Simmons brand. I know that Boddam used to make almost everything for them, and that Simmons now has more of it is being done in-house; I'm sure you'd be able to try on a Liberator catch at the DS store.

edit:

The other thing you could do is mail your Bionic off to Sara at Protective Athletic Wear (PAW), and have her do a complete refurbishment. She'll take the entire thing apart, clean it, replace anything that needs replacing, put on new bindings and re-lace it all back together. I'm not sure if she's ever worked on a glove as complex as the Bionic, but I've never heard anyone speak ill of her work.

Unfortunately none of the hockey stores in the area (there are only 2) carry Boddam. As a matter of fact if you want to hold anything you can only see Vaughn, Bauer and RBK. If they have any other brands it is left over equipment and there is a good reason it is.

Btw I checked out that site, Thank you!

edit:

Last I checked Sara was not doing equipment mods any more, just new gear.

Really? I must have completely missed that... I know she's gone back and forth a few times, with more or less emphasis on either side.

Damn, I was going to ask her to do the exact same thing for my Bionic once I had a replacement.

Really? I must have completely missed that... I know she's gone back and forth a few times, with more or less emphasis on either side.

Damn, I was going to ask her to do the exact same thing for my Bionic once I had a replacement.

I plan on giving her a call today and I will ask. To be honest the new gear that is being shown doesn't look that impressive. I think she needs some better photographs.

Edit: I spoke to her and she only does blocker re-palms and re-laces gloves.

Sorry for the bum steer, Oyk. I had seen some of her previous work on rebuilding gloves, and it was damned impressive, but I guess like DCott, said her interests lie elsewhere now. I have to say, re: her own line of gear, that I think her craft exceeds her design ability. That's probably a good thing in the long run, but for the time being, it's lead to difficulties like having an equipment line with no glove.

Sorry for the bum steer, Oyk. I had seen some of her previous work on rebuilding gloves, and it was damned impressive, but I guess like DCott, said her interests lie elsewhere now. I have to say, re: her own line of gear, that I think her craft exceeds her design ability. That's probably a good thing in the long run, but for the time being, it's lead to difficulties like having an equipment line with no glove.

It wasn't a bum steer I was able to get 2 sq feet of Robocop for 1/2 the price as Nash with shipping!