Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

passmaster16

Does Any Company Still Make A Flat Inline Chassis? Tour?

I know that most inline frames now are built mostly for speed and turning. I personally have been using the CCM/RBK tri-di setup for my indoor league (plastic sport surface) for the last 8 years. But I still have an old pair of Ferland straight 72mm skates that I use for practicing on an asphalt rink as I don't want to eat up the soft wheels on my RBK 5ks. That being said, sometimes I feel like I have better balance on the straight 72 setup. I'm not sure if its the difference between the surfaces or the setup of the skates themselves. I'm 29 years old now and been playing since 13. Like many I grew up on a straight 72 setup back when they didn't have hi-lo and tri-di or even true hockey inlines for that matter. I recall at one point I tried going from the straight 72 to a straight 76 and it threw my balance off like crazy. So I stayed with the 72 setup until I went to the tri-di 8 years ago. Other than losing top speed and maybe some turning ability, would using smaller wheels like 72 not give a lower center of gravity? For somebody like me where speed isn't my game in the first place, what disadvantage is there? Does anybody still make a straight chassis that supports a straight 72 setup? I know that Tour is pretty much the only one that uses a flat chassis but their senior skates are all 82mm or 76mm. I would be concerned that using 72mm wheels on these skates may not work very well as they were originally designed for larger diameter wheels. Thoughts?

I'm not sure if you're looking for a new frame to replace the frame on your Ferlands or RBK 5ks or looking for a new skate to use for practicing outdoors or just looking for a new skate that has the 72mm setup. All of the new skates that are coming out have some sort of HiLo or different wheel setup on their frames. Tour does have the Hummer Chassis with an all 80mm setup. I would not recommend going any lower than a 76mm setup on the Hummer. If you try using 72mm's on the Hummer your wheels may be spaced out, the wheelbase designed for the 80mm setup gets smaller, and your Tour boot might look like a raised truck with 18" tires. Very awkward looking IMO. So if all you're looking for is an all 72mm setup you can find some classic frames like those Kuzak's that LChockey 24 recommended and mount them on your RBK 5ks. The frames are rather inexpensive and can be mounted at your lhs. Another option you can try which I would highly recommend is buying a Sprung frame. You can get an A6 model that can use an all 72mm setup. And with the Sprung frame you will not lose out on top speed and turning ability. If anything I think that it outperforms any frame setup on the market today. I have been skating on Sprungs for almost 2 years now and I will never go back to a HiLo setup again. In fact I bought some Mission Wicked Lights recently that I plan on swapping out the HiLo frame and put in some Sprungs. I can't wait to try them out.

pure hockey charged me 30 dollars to install sprungs on my skates... for me, well worth it. The amount of time and effort needed to do this (at least for me) would have taken me HOURS