Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

woody31

New Goalie Stick

So right now I'm in the market for a new stick. The reason being that the blade of my reebok stick has pieces of the surface pulled off by my hockey tape. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

I hear the Bauer 7500 sticks have always been pretty good sticks. It seems like Bauer is really stepping it up in terms of sticks with so many pros using them now. Warriors are a little pricey, but are nonetheless very nice sticks. The best thing is to go into a store and see what you like best. Some people like the composite sticks, others prefer a more traditional feel. It's really about what works best for you.

I don't recommend a full composite, the shafts just break too easy. (Spoken from someone who repairs sticks for a living) Anyway, go with a foam core and wood shaft. I don't find the price of Warriors to be any more expensive than others, I use the Warrior Abyss and love it, it's as light as my previous Composite, puck control is better and durability has been good. Got it for xmas and use 4x a week, still in good shape. The RBK 6k's are not too bad either. From a construction standpoint, almost all manufacturers make the foam core sticks the same way with equal construction techniques, so you can't go wrong really with any of them.

Although goalie sticks are all preference, I wouldn't recommend a composite if you are playing any sort of competitive hockey. During the summers I work at a goalie shop and we have found that composites break ridiculously fast once goalies reach bantam. This could be that playing higher levels means you are on the ice more and the sticks are subjected to more abuse than normal. If you wanted to go with a composite, try and find a foam core stick to use for practise with the same curve and paddle length(ie:RBK 8K, 27" Luongo curve/6K foam core. 27" Luongo). This should allow your comp. stick to last longer.

If you want to stick with a wood/foam core stick I would recommend the Sherwood 9950s. Due to sponsorships, I am forced to use 6K Reebok sticks during the winter, but for summer hockey I always switch back to the Sherwoods, as I have found they have a far superior finish and the curves are more consistent from stick to stick.

Hope this helps.

I would also advise against composite goalie sticks. Not only do they not hold up as advertised, however, you lose the feel of the puck making contact with the stick. I would suggest a foam core with reinforcement goalie stick such as a Sher-Wood 9950, Bauer 7500, or Reebok 6K.

D J

You don't buy a composite stick for long life, you buy one for consistency of play. Also, you don't lose the feel of the puck, the feel is just different and is something that most can adjust to.

::m

I am also looking for a new stick to use, i've been using sherwood 9950 and 9990X for as long as i've played, but now with the shots im facing from junior camps and shinny, the shafts are just taking an absolute beating and breaking rather easily. The blades in the sherwoods hold up very well, and it's the shaft that always break on me. I love the lalime curve in the sherwood, so does anyone know of a stick with a similiar curve with a 26" paddle, but a shaft that holds up better than the sherwoods do.