Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

Reebok 11k Skate

*****UPDATED********

When I first wrote this review I had maybe 10-15 skates in them. Since then I have had the chance to log quite a bit more ice time, and I have edited this to reflect the additional time. Still very impressed with the skates.....

*** Final Update 1/17/11- Doesn't look good - changes are bolded

Foot spec - Wide forefoot, average heel, high arch, high instep

Last skate worn - Nike/Bauer Supreme ONE95

Size - 8 E

I have worn One95s, and Reebok 9k’s in the past 12 months, with the One 95’s seeing the lions share of the ice time. I would not have changed from the One 95’s except that I had ankle surgery in November of 09, and the Bauers were no longer as comfortable as before. I wanted to try something different and went with the 11k’s hoping the pump would give the ability to customize the boot to the ankle, and still be comfortable.

I play mens C league hockey, referee, and pickup. Usaully a minimum of three times a week.

Fit -

For anyone who has worn the Reebok 9k’s in the past, the first thing that is evident upon trying the skate on is the more snug heel. Since these are an E skate the heel is Reeboks standard B heel. Even though it technically is called the same size heel as last year, there is definitely a tighter feel, and the heel does not feel nearly as sloppy as the 9k of the same size. The tongue has been completely reworked into what Reebok calls a hybrid tongue. The 9k tongue was a real let down for that skate, and with a high instep and arch, lace bite for me was a real problem with it. As bad as that tongue was, is as good as the new 11k tongue is. The new tongue combines the form fitting tongue of the past with a new thick felt lining. The result is that all the lace bite, and weird fit of the past is gone, replaced by a thick, and comfy tongue. Reebok continues to use the “skatelock”, and while this seems like a great idea on paper, it doesn’t translate well in real world use. I find it is easy to over-tighten the laces, locking them in place, and that creates a snug point that is sometimes uncomfortable. I much prefer a straight lace setup, and this year Reebok offers an adapter to eliminate the “skatelock”. I need to locate those, as I would much prefer to not use the lacelock. When you first pick the skate up, you notice it doesn’t feel as stiff as other top end skates. It is comfortable out of the box, and you notice the new liner immediately. The liner is a new two piece tacky nash and clarion, replacing the fabric like one of the 9k. The liner is more grippy, and adds to the feel of locking your foot in place, it also shouldn’t tear as easily as the fabric one of years past. Once heated up the skate really shines. It molds willingly to your foot shape, and once cooled seems to gain stiffness. The ankle area remains a little more flexible than the vice like One 95’s, but after skating in them for a year and a half, the ankle flex afforded by the 11k’s is a welcome addition. As with past Reebok skates the pump allows a customized fit for the ankle, and was immediately helpful for my post surgery needs. Most already know the benefits of the Pump system, and I don’t have a lot to add. It does what it says, allowing customizability. I have not had any issues with the bladder leaking, but I followed the directions of not inflating while heated, and always deflating prior to removing the skate. The new pump mechanism is much more streamlined with the skate, and just looks better. The boot is about as deep as the One 95, and my high instep foot just barely fits. Every foot is different, and as such each users needs will vary, but for my particular foot shape the 11k’s are a nice comfy fit.

Update - I have come around to accepting the "skatelock". Initially I was making them to snug when I pulled them to lock, but now have figured out the proper amount of pull so they are not overtightened, still a gimmick for me, but I am no longer looking to change them.

10/10 - A very comfortable, highly moldable fit, that improves on the Reebok shape.

Performance -

I am completely impressed with the way the skate reacts on the ice. It flexes when need be, yet transfers energy with the best of skates I have used. Perhaps it is the freedom of the more flexible ankle, but I feel as though the skate allows me a quicker step, without giving up any of the holding power of the One 95’s.

2nd Update - After some more time with the skates I am still thoroughly impressed. These seem to have a perfect balance of stiffness and flex, and for me at least the additional ankle bend afforded by these skates has been a welcome addition, and I honestly feel as though my skating has improved because of it. These skates have enough stiffness to corner and stop with complete confidence, yet allow a range of motion that allows for a deeper knee bend than I had been used to as skates got more and more stiff.

10/10 - These skates have done everything I have asked and more.

Blade/Holder -

The blade holder combination is the often used E Pro holder from past CCM / Reebok skates. These holders put you a little more on your toes then the LS2s I was used to in the past, and the first few skates were awkward for sure. You adapt quickly though, and I actually like the pitch towards the toes more than the neutral LS2s. The holders seem stiff, and I really have no complaints with them. The steel is the scalloped steel which saves a little bit of weight. The steel holds an edge well, and so I have not needed to sharpen them as often as the stock Bauer steel. One thing I noticed though is that they seem to “click” as though they are loose, even when they are not. Not a big deal, but I am constantly checking them because I hear them clicking as I walk to the ice.

9.5/10 I took off a half point for the clicking…

Weight-

While I haven’t weighed them or anything, you can notice immediately that they feel lighter than the 9k’s of the past, and in fact feel very comparable to my old One 95’s. They feel like a top end skate should in terms of weight, and finally match up with the other light skates in this price range.

10/10

Protection -

The lower half of the boot is greatly improved and is like a rock after baking. The tongue is a thick felt, and should stand up to shots much better than the old Reebok tongues. I got in the way of a few shots, which were more like hard passes, and barely noticed them. I finally took a a really hard shot to the skate last night. It hit me in the sidewall of the skate right at the area where the toecap meets the body of the skate. A quick sting of the pinky toe, that was gone a few minutes later, was all I felt, never missed a shift, and the skate looks fine. I am not saying that taking same shot with a different skate, I would not have fared as well, just that these were proved to be protective, as they should.

Durability -

The 9k’s of the past had a few issues where the liner would tear, and the quarters would kind of delaminate. I am happy to report that both of these issues look to have been solved, and neither is showing any signs that these areas are wearing. The skates still look pretty new even though I am on them about three times a week. I expect these to be quite durable over time, and representative of a high end skate.

12/16/10 - Left pump slow leak

6/10

Intangibles –

This is one of the best looking skates Reebok has ever manufactured in my opinion. I have never been a fan of the Reebok CCM look, but this one looks great.

Conclusion -

Reebok went about the task of improving the successful 9k skate, and in my experience they really succeeded. Every area that needed improvement was touched upon, and each area is a nice improvement. This is not a revolutionary skate, but rather the evolution of a very competent top end skate. If this skate were released a year ago, I am certain it would have made a bigger splash in the market, but now it has been overshadowed by the launch of the Total One. That’s a real shame because Reebok really nailed this skate. If you liked the 9k’s at all, you will love this new 11K skate. Personally I was not a big fan of the 9k’s, I liked some of the ideas behind it, but the wide heel, and questionable liner left something to be desired. I am happy to say all that has changed with the 11K. The quality, and attention to detail shows this was a well thought out skate design. I was sure I could not be swayed away from the Bauer brand, but I am happy I gave these a shot, and will not be returning to the One 95’s. No change in my conclusion. This is the best skate I have ever owned.

Overall – See my post below

If you have any questions I can try to answer, feel free to PM me. I will do my best to get you an answer.

Edited by chrisg19

I have been a big proponent of the Reebok 11k Skates. These have been a fantastic skate for me but unfortunately I believe the skates have a serious structural flaw. I bought these skates back in May of '10, and have had nothing but praise for the performance of the skates until about 60 days ago. First I noticed that in my left skate the pump began losing air, it was intermittent, sometimes it held air, other times it would leak, and be flat by the end of a game. They were not inflated during heating, and have always been taken care of. Before anyone asks, these skates were heat fitted at the dealership I purchased them from. I contacted customer service, and the person I spoke with was very nice, but informed me that I was outside the warranty period, and the pump issue was mine to deal with. Not too pleased with the answer, but the skate fit so well, I figured I would just over look it, and deal with it. I am 46 years old, and play 2 -3 times a week, and Ref on weekends. My skates get a lot of use, but the reality is my playing days are a lot slower than they once were, and there is no way I put these skates through what a competitive athlete would.

A little while ago I read a review of these skates on Hockey Monkey, and I came across the following:

comfortable but not durable

By hockeyG from colorado on 12/17/2010

Bottom Line:

No, I would not recommend this to a friend

Comments about Reebok 11K Pump Sr. Ice Hockey Skates:

the material on the reebok logo on the quarter package of the skate cracked open to reveal the inside of the skate after 3 months of use

Wasn't really sure what he meant by that, but unfortunately now I know....

1160036783_uBJfb-M.jpg

The above is a photo of my left skate with a crack in the same location as the reviewer described above. I attempted to epoxy the skate so I could continue to use them Reffing, but the epoxy was not strong enough to hold it.

1160036923_zdR4X-M.jpg

This is a photo of my right skate. The crack is present on this skate also. Although it is tough to see in the photo, it is there, though not as fully formed as the left skate.

Bottom line, this is not how a top of the line skate should look after 7 months of use.

Edited by chrisg19

Foot size - Narrow forefoot, even narrower heel

Play about 4 to 5 times a week

Last skate worn: NBH One95 size 8c

After a solid 2 years of using my one95s, it was time to move on and get another new pair of hockey skates. I usually go for the Bauer Supreme line, but with a price tag of $850 I didn't have the cash at the time. I am extremely hard on my skates (ie. shots blocked, cuts, and overall use). So I usually expect my skates to last about 1.5 seasons, 2 at the most.

Fit

I have always had problems finding skates that fit properly. At one point I think that I tried every boot and brand in the market and was still unhappy. The 11ks that I wore were a 8 D/AA fit. Initially when I put the skates on pre-bake they felt good. I noticed that there was some slippage in my left heel, but figured I could use the pump to make it more snug. Once the skates came out of the oven they felt great. The heel problem went away. As time wore on (and the pump started to leak - seems like a common problem with these skates) the slippage not only came back, but got worse. I was pumping these skates after every shift about 10 to 15 times. My right skate however, fit like a glove. It was perfect throughout.

Overall 8/10

Blade/Holder

Can't really comment on the Epro holder because as soon as I got these skates Tuuk's went on the boot.

Weight

This skate isn't the lightest boot on the market, but then again it isn't the heaviest. I liked the weight of the 11ks because it didn't feel like you were wearing nothing. It is considerably lighter than past Reebok skates and I am happy to see that the 11k's are now able to stack up against other companies in this category.

Overall 9/10

Protection

When I played competitive I was known for my shot blocking, and I guess that aspect of my game never went away. Being a winger, I usually find myself in the way when a defenceman takes a shot from the blueline. 8 times out of 10 the puck hits me. With the plastic toe cap, shots there are fine. No pain or sting. With the side of the skate - started off good, but then it felt like the boot broke down too quickly. Shots to the side of the boot started to sting a bit.

The best feature protection wise for the 11k in my opinion is the thick felt tongue. Held up great.

Overall 7/10

Performance

Heel slip aside, the skate was great on the ice. I liked having such a flexible skate around my ankles as I am a big fan of having a boot that has some "give" to it. The skate reacted when I needed it to, and they felt great on the ice from day 1.

Overall 9/10

Durability

Being the top end model, I expected these skates to last, and unfortunately they did not. As stated in the protection, I felt that this skate broke down way too quickly. When I went back to my friend at my LHS he was surprised to see how soft the boot was in such a short period of time. He said this was the first time he saw anything like this with the new 11k's. Maybe I got a defective pair? I don't know. In total, I wore this skate for about 6 months before I had to find a replacement. I was expecting these skates to last much longer than they did.

Overall 6.5/10

Intangibles

Design wise, this skate is one of the nicest looking skates on the market. I like how Reebok completely changed the graphics and made it look 10x better looking than the 9k model.

Conclusion

This skate looks worlds different compared to the previous 9k. Reebok has put all the new skate technology into this 11k so it can finally rival the x60,totalone,U+ ect. I do feel like if Reebok released this skate at a different time than the Totalone, it would have been more successful in the hockey market.

I was really hoping for this skate to last me much longer than it actually did, and that being said - If I had to buy a new pair of skates tomorrow, I would 100% consider buying Reebok.