Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ahriman

Silly Wheel grip question

I was having a hypothetical debate with someone about the properties of soft vs hard wheels were and one issue that came up and mutual agreement could not be reached was this:

Say your on a hard surface (outdoor asphalt/concrete) as opposed to sportcourt or anywhere that you would WANT a soft grippy wheel, and you run across some moisture (puddle, rain, something like that); would a softer wheel help you not immediately fall and be unable to skate any better than a harder wheel which you should be using for that kind of surface.

Clearly we're not actually talking about practicality as no one wants to carry 2 sets of wheels to switch out every time it looks like it might rain outside but still, would the grippy wheel help you survive wet surfaces better than a harder outdoor wheel would?

I was having a hypothetical debate with someone about the properties of soft vs hard wheels were and one issue that came up and mutual agreement could not be reached was this:

Say your on a hard surface (outdoor asphalt/concrete) as opposed to sportcourt or anywhere that you would WANT a soft grippy wheel, and you run across some moisture (puddle, rain, something like that); would a softer wheel help you not immediately fall and be unable to skate any better than a harder wheel which you should be using for that kind of surface.

Clearly we're not actually talking about practicality as no one wants to carry 2 sets of wheels to switch out every time it looks like it might rain outside but still, would the grippy wheel help you survive wet surfaces better than a harder outdoor wheel would?

i would think the solution is neither. If anything, a wheel with texture is what would work best.

I used to only use soft wheels outside because I felt that I had more control in wet environments, I can't say scientifically that the advantage is there but I felt and thought as though I did.

i would think the solution is neither. If anything, a wheel with texture is what would work best.

there's wheels with texture?

i think this thread is a moot point. i don't understand how anyone could play hockey on a wet surface. have you ever tried using inline skates on any wet surface? no way can you make the required turns and stops necessary to play hockey.

I never said anything about actually playing hockey, just skating, generally skating, as a way to get from one place to another.

I never said anything about actually playing hockey, just skating, generally skating, as a way to get from one place to another.

i assumed you meant hockey since you mentioned sportcourt and this isn't modsquadaggressiveskate.com. either way, i don't think its a good idea to try to skate on a wet surface with inline skates.

i assumed you meant hockey since you mentioned sportcourt and this isn't modsquadaggressiveskate.com. either way, i don't think its a good idea to try to skate on a wet surface with inline skates.

sigh.... the point was theoretical, I mentioned sportcourt because it came up in the conversation, and said explicitly that it was not about practical purposes, but if you'd prefer to not discuss topics relating solely to roller or icehockey, you don't have to participate.

I don't think a hard wheel is going to be any better than a soft wheel. And I don't think the soft wheel is going to be better than the hard wheel.

hockey, point A to point B, Roller Disco, Rollerblading with your dog at the beach to show off to girls, etc..........

sigh.... the point was theoretical, I mentioned sportcourt because it came up in the conversation, and said explicitly that it was not about practical purposes, but if you'd prefer to not discuss topics relating solely to roller or icehockey, you don't have to participate.

you won't get enough traction with any inline skate wheel. i think the only way to get wet traction would be with quad skates. next hypothetical question: if a tree falls in the forrest but no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

stick some tire tread pattern on and you might have some decent grip :tongue:

Yeah nothing helps when the ground is wet. Inline wheels are made of urethane, you would need a rubber tire to grip.

The guys who organize my league will keep the games going until there are actual puddles on the surface (asphalt). You can'T turn or do anything very effectively and of course everybody falls, A LOT.