Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sniper15

Rinks in Los Angeles

Hey I'm going to school at USC this year and was wondering where some of the closest shops and rinks are. I assume there aren't many in the ghetto surrounding USC

Hey I'm going to school at USC this year and was wondering where some of the closest shops and rinks are. I assume there aren't many in the ghetto surrounding USC

I think the closest rink to USC would be Culver City. El Segundo is not too far as well as Panorama and Pickwick. Simi and Valencia would be a little more of a drive but they are nicer then the other two in the valley.

Basically, you're looking at a 20-30 minute drive for anything if you're around USC.

The best shop is Hockey Giant and that's in Anaheim right next to Disneyland. About 5-10 past that in Santa Ana is Hockey Monkey which is also another awesome shop (I always order online from them, but have never been to their shop).

Ice rinks are scarce in LA. The closest one to you is probably the Kings practice facility in El Segundo. There are a couple in the valley though, which are easily accessible...but the ice conditions aren't as nice.

You might find it's easier to find a pick up game of roller/street hockey. I'm learning all about these parking lot pick up games that are happening. Santa Monica (right by the beach) and the Rose Bowl are two popular games that happens daily/weekly.

I skate at the Burbank Roller Hockey rink and we always welcome new people. www.Burbankrollerhockey.com

Ice rinks are scarce in LA. The closest one to you is probably the Kings practice facility in El Segundo.

I skate at the Burbank Roller Hockey rink and we always welcome new people. www.Burbankrollerhockey.com

I wouldn't call ice rinks in L.A. "scarce." I live in Hollywood and can think of 5 within a 20 minutes drive or so. (Toyota, Burbank, Valley Ice, Van Nuys and Pasadena.)

Sniper15, I play in a fairly quick, private Saturday morning pickup at 9:30am. Shoot me a pm when you are out here if you'd like to join us. Tho' if you are anything like I was in college, the chances of getting up early on a Saturday are slim to none. :biggrin:

Pandaman: Do you play in the Friday night pickup? How is the skill level? I am learning to make the switch from ice to roller, and would consider it if I wasn't completely outclassed.

I do occasionally, but now I mostly get my practice in by playing ball hockey on Sundays. I know...not the same but it's great for the conditioning.

The guys who play range from really really good to some beginners like me. I'd say most are above average, but on a few shifts I can hold my own. The atmosphere there is good. The guys are there just to have fun and play so don't worry about getting "outclassed." Actually, they'll help you out and stuff which has been a valuable resource for me. If you go out there, get there early cause the teams fill up fast.