Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
CharlesC

Bauer Supreme 7000

Product: Bauer 7000

Introduction: I used these skates for 3 years of Midget hockey, and during this time I skated 3-4 times per week. While using these skates I varied in weight from 190 to 220 lbs.

Fit: I was fitted as a 9.5EE in these skates. I have a fairly thick foot, a regular width heel and my forefoot is slightly wide. I was not fitted especially well, and I just assumed that since I didn’t have any unbearable pain while walking in the store that I had a good fitting skate. After reading up on how skates are supposed to fit and how different brands fit differently I realized that these were not correctly fitting skates for me. The EE width in the 7000’s was a bit too wide both in the forefoot and in the heel. The wide heel did let my heel slip and eventually caused holes in the liner. I do believe that an E-width would have been more appropriate. These skates were also too shallow in the mid-foot region. This lack of volume did cause problems with blood circulation when I tightened my laces. I am amazed I kept these skates this long considering the fit, but it took until I was properly fitted for skates to realize how bad the fit really had been.(5/10)

Blade/Holder: These 7000’s came with Tuuk Custom + holders. These holders were the benchmark of the industry for decades, and it is easy to see why. The steel held an edge well and I never encountered any breaking. This holder is not as stiff as more modern designs, and does provide some feedback from the ice. I never had any complaints when using these holders. (9/10)

Weight/Protection: When these were purchased in 2000 I believe these were some of the lightest skates on the market besides the high end of the Vapor line of the time. When I compare newer all-composite skates to these 7000’s I do not consider these very light anymore. As far as protection goes these were very solid besides the upper portion of my foot. This is because my foot burst out of the tops of these boots, this left some less than protected parts of my foot more prone to puck impacts. The quarters and the sides of the boot were very stiff, and I never once was hurt from a shot to the sides of my foot. Weight: (7/10) Protection: (8/10)

Durability: The exteriors of these skates held up very well besides the toes (and that was cosmetic). The tongue on these skates did start to split near the top eyelet. Once the tear reached the leather portion of the tongue it did not progress any further. Some of the liner covering the foam portion of these tongues did start to wear off towards the end of my use of these skates. These skates have softened up a bit after all of these years, but I would still consider them about as stiff as my much fresher Graf 705’s. The interior of the skates did deteriorate, but I would attribute this mostly to an ill fitting boot. The wear occurred at the heels and the liner began to wear away around the top eyelet. (7/10)

Conclusion: If these skates fit properly I would still probably be skating in a Bauer skate. Most of the problems I encountered with these 7000’s I can attribute to this poor fit. If these skates fit you, I am very confident that they would prove to be much more durable and comfortable than they were for me. Because of this, I am curious how well the newer Bauer fit of the 8090’s and One95 could work for me. (for me 6/10, if they fit correctly I’d give these much higher marks)