Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Netminder32

Vaughn Epic 8600/8606 Goalie Pant

Vaughn Epic 8600/8606 goalie pant review

Reviewer Specs:

Height: 5’ 8”

Weight: 220lbs

Pant Size: large

Experience: 20+ years rec and beer league

vs Shooters: rec to semi pro

epic1.jpg

epic2.jpg

Fit: First off let me state for the record. Vaughn goalie pant sizing is messed up…

“Sizing: Small (36"-38"), Medium (40"-42"), Large (44"-46"), X-Large (48"-50"), XX-Large (52"-54")

NOTE: add 8 to 10 inches to actual waist size then match to the sizing within the parenthesis to find proper size, this model of goal pant is designed to be worn loose fitting”

Why can’t they just say “large fits 34” to 36” waist size” like every other manufacturer? And now that I have that off my chest, the fit is true to size, that is, if you wear a 36” waist pant, you will fit comfortably in a 36” waist (aka 46”) goalie pant. The pants are not restricting and quite mobile right off the shelf. They have an unusually high waistband which is great if you wear your c/a over your pants. There is no belly gapping when you move around or stretch to make a save. Not so great if you are the type of goalie looking to tuck your c/a into the pants. The leg is also generously cut long extending right down to your knee providing lots of coverage. And…they conform to the new NHL specs which is important if you play league…

Fit rating 8/10

epic4.jpg

epic6.jpg

Protection: This is where these pants really suffer. In making the pant light and mobile Vaughn sacrificed too much protection. The hip protectors are tiny integrated pieces of foam on the face of the pad that don’t nearly cover enough area. The inner thigh protection does not wrap around the inner leg. The overall foam thickness is simply inadequate for facing shooters of any caliber over shinny. (And I have the bruise to prove it) Quite frankly they aren’t much more protective than wearing a player pant… :o

Protection rating 2/10

epic5.jpg

Weight: As you might expect, with most of the protection ripped right out of these pants they are super light. I guess it is a little misleading that they should score so high for their lack of weight given their lack of protection but that is what the rating category is…

Weight rating: 10/10

Durability: Over the time that I played in these pants I didn’t experience any unusual wear or tear. It should be noted though that they are made with a thinner nylon than what you would normally expect the material on the shell to be, as well as thinner elastic materials. I don’t suspect you would get “years” of use out of them they way you do with most pro level pants. Again this is kind of a misleading number since I didn’t experience any problems during the time I wore them, however, I feel after a year the truth would start to show.

Durability rating: 8/10

Intangibles: I like the fact that they embroidered all the logos. With so many manufacturers “cheaping out” and going the heat press route it’s nice to still see some manufacturers still spending a little extra on the “artwork” of their gear. I also like the simplicity of the overall design. It's based on Vaughns successful 8800 pro pant so you know the design is based on years of proven performance. It's easy to access the suspender buttons and there are thoughtfully placed corded nylon straps that make it easy to pull up or hang out the pants between games. Additionally, the price point on these pants is insanely low. I bought mine on sale at Hockey Geeks for $119.99. I’ve seen them advertised elsewhere as low as $99.99. It was the price that made me decide to test them in the first place. Who would believe you could get Vaughn goalie pants for that kind of money??? Just remember you really do get what you pay for. They are made in China, they are made from lighter duty materials and they are not nearly protective enough for any level of hockey involving more that average strength slap shots.

The final thing I must mention is the way my thigh boards always ended up jammed up inside one leg opening or the other when recovering from a butterfly. Now these pants do have the tab inside for the newer laced in thigh boards, however, if you are old school like myself and still wear pad laced thigh boards this is going to drive you crazy. Not only because of the frequency in which it happens but also because when combined with the longer leg protection, you cannot stand up or straighten your leg until you get that thigh board out of there. It locks your leg at a 45 degree angle at the knee. Really messes up your game if the puck happens to still be in play when you are trying to do a butterfly recovery and cannot move your leg…

Intangible rating: 5/10

Conclusion: Overall, there is a lot of good... but there is a LOT of bad. If you are in the market for goalie pants, look elsewhere, spend just a few extra dollars, get pants offering some decent protection. Enough said…

Overall rating: 6.6/10